Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

24 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

Hey guys,

Been playing a lot of world of tanks and as some of you may know, gets a little frustrating.

So I want to try my hand at World of Warships.  I have watched many of Jingles' videos and I am learning quite a bit.

I started down the Japanese Destroyer class and am currently at tier 3, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips if that's a bad line for a newbie or if destroyers in general are a bad line for newbies.

If anyone can direct me to a line where I will learn the most, that would be great, and if you have any other tips in general will also be appreciated.

Thanks

R

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,371 battles

If you want to learn how to play in general, I would focus on the US Cruiser line because then you will be prepared for the rest of the lines.  The US Cruiser line is kinda meh at best, with some exceptions but it will prepare you for other lines.

That was my experience at least, I don't know if other people had it better by playing other lines.

Beta Testers
801 posts
4,296 battles

It really depends on the way you want to play the game. The IJN DD line is mostly about torpedoes so if you love stealth fighting you are on the right line. I'd add that they are going to split that DD line in two eventually™ so that there's a gunship and a torpedo specialized top tier choice. You should check the guides that are in the permanent posts at the top of the forum, they offer all the advice you'll need to make informed decisions about what ship you'd like to play. 

Also

Welcome! :honoring:

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,659 battles

If you want to learn how to play in general, I would focus on the US Cruiser line because then you will be prepared for the rest of the lines.  The US Cruiser line is kinda meh at best, with some exceptions but it will prepare you for other lines.

That was my experience at least, I don't know if other people had it better by playing other lines.

I'd also recommend cruisers but I'd say don't limit yourself to one nation. Start going up all 4 so you get a bit of a taste of all the nations, and also so you don't extend yourself beyond say tier 4 or so before you really feel like you have a grasp of the game. Tier 5 is where it starts to get really competitive is my experience, at least from a PvP aspect. Also if you are working on multiple lines when you get sunk in one ship you can go right back into the battle in another ship while your other is still locked in a battle.

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

For me it helped a lot to play multiple classes. It made me understand the weakness and strengths of a ship class :) 
It is already good that you use YouTube, it helped a lot for me. Especially with showing the differences between US, IJN & SN destroyers. 

Edit: LubzinNJ was ahead of me.

Edited by joris92

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I suggest you try everything. Cruisers are a good middle of the road, but for all you know you might like Carrier play more than anything if you try it. 

• Cool 1

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

thanks for all the tips..

I like the stealth of DD but i think it's a just a matter of learning the game mechanics... like how not to be spotted, it seems like i do get spotted alot when trying to ambush someone with torp.

I have read and watched on what each class is suppose to do and try to relate it to world of tanks..

Am I safe to assume the following..

DD = Light tanks

Cruisers = medium

Battleship =  heavy

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

I think what's difficult for me is to know when to run...

in world of tanks, I know all the tanks and what guns they have, weak spots, etc..

I guess it's just a matter of learning them all right? seems daunting

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

thanks for all the tips..

I like the stealth of DD but i think it's a just a matter of learning the game mechanics... like how not to be spotted, it seems like i do get spotted alot when trying to ambush someone with torp.

I have read and watched on what each class is suppose to do and try to relate it to world of tanks..

Am I safe to assume the following..

DD = Light tanks

Cruisers = medium

Battleship =  heavy

Almost, but imagine DDs and some Cruisers with a HEAT rocket launcher that has a crap shell velocity.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

Have fun, the IJN DD line generates plenty of debate. I love them and they are more than capable at the moment.

Developing your gameplay:

Jingles is entertaining and informative but probably not the best to learn from.

Some Youtubers to watch:

Ichasegaming - Good for newbies & plenty of how to guides

Notser, Flamu & Aeroon - Good for tactics

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,426 battles

Welcome aboard captain!

DDs are not the easiest type to handle. Cruisers are more versatile and generally easier. That said, DDs are my preferred and most-played type.

See this new vid from iChase:

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

Have fun, the IJN DD line generates plenty of debate. I love them and they are more than capable at the moment.

Developing your gameplay:

Jingles is entertaining and informative but probably not the best to learn from.

Some Youtubers to watch:

Ichasegaming - Good for newbies & plenty of how to guides

Notser, Flamu & Aeroon - Good for tactics

Indeed, and despite he has little content it is fun to watch atsf (eurobeat) :P

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,426 battles

A few YT content providers have been mentioned. I would add some more to the list that are worth watching (at different levels of your training):

• iChaseGaming (very good training - basics - mechanics)
  • Notser (excellent tactics and strategy training)
  • Flamu (excellent tactics and strategy training)
  • Aerroon (good training)
  • Business6 (detailed tests and comments on BBs)
  • NoZoupForYou Gaming (entry-level stuff - good for beginners)
  • Kenliero (very long and detailed ship comparisons)
  • asdf (fun to watch)
  • Steelcast27 (good information)
  • Voulezvous TV (now a WG employee so he does not post anymore but existing content is quite good)

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I think what's difficult for me is to know when to run...

in world of tanks, I know all the tanks and what guns they have, weak spots, etc..

I guess it's just a matter of learning them all right? seems daunting

I think that the IJN DD line is a great line to start with to learn the game.  One thing that I like is that once you get past the Umikaze you can stealth fire torps.  This will allow you to minimize the things you need to focus on and you can generally use your main weapon without having to master ambush tactics and deal with hiding behind islands etc.  

One issue I have with the USN cruiser line is the main battery firing range vs detectability range.  I believe that it's not until the T6 Cleveland that your stock firing range is greater than your detectability range, so you do spend lots of time having to dodge incoming fire from BB's when you can't even fire back.  I believe the IJN line is a bit more forgiving.

Lastly, a couple tips:

Smoke screens are torpedo magnets, so if you pop smoke in a DD (or use an exisiting smoke screen when in a cruiser) you should assume that any ship that is in rage of you and has torps will launch them into the smoke screen

do not show your broadside when in a cruiser to another cruiser or a BB...you will get hurt (aka a paddling)

regardless of what ship you are in, remember to change your course and/or speed on a regular basis (aka WASD hacks) to avoid torps that are fired from stealth DD's

Lastly, the prior post regarding YouTube videos....the names listed are very good and well worth the time investment

Have fun.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

A few YT content providers have been mentioned. I would add some more to the list that are worth watching (at different levels of your training):

• iChaseGaming (very good training - basics - mechanics)
  • Notser (excellent tactics and strategy training)
  • Flamu (excellent tactics and strategy training)
  • Aerroon (good training)
  • Business6 (detailed tests and comments on BBs)
  • NoZoupForYou Gaming (entry-level stuff - good for beginners)
  • Kenliero (very long and detailed ship comparisons)
  • asdf (fun to watch)
  • Steelcast27 (good information)
  • Voulezvous TV (now a WG employee so he does not post anymore but existing content is quite good)

I would also add Capt_Rye to this list...humble in that does not expect every game should yield a Kraken/Confederate/High Caliber

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

wow.. I really appreciate all the responses....

Thanks a lot guys :)

I think I'm gonna stay with the Japanese DD line for now as my main one, but will also start the American cruiser line.

One more quesiton... Co Op games.. I noticed its real ppl vs bots; is this a good ground for training or do you suggest I use normal pubbies..

Thanks again.

[STW]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
10,616 battles

One thing to keep in mind is that classes in world of warships have much more defined roles and as a result there is a much higher emphasis on combined arms then in world of tanks.

Destroyers play completely differently the, cruisers which play completely differently then battleships.  Rarely are there overlaps and those few that do overlap have more of a playstyle of their own then adopting One of another class.

Basically each class and ship have very specific roles they fit into.  Learning and understanding those roles is a primary factor in doing well.  

Battleships are good at tanking hits but it isn't as clear cut as just that.  For example, The faster battleships like the kongo and the amagi are designed as pseudo skirmishers, their relatively poor armor and large turning circle mean they don't do well in close quarters but they still have more armor and HP then cruisers and must sometimes stand closer to the front lines to take hits for the lighter vessels.

Edited by KTcraft

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,426 battles

Coop is easy at low tiers (on purpose), but at high tiers they will really hurt you and the bot team might win.

It is fast and easy but pays very little in XP and credits. It is good to unwind, or to learn a new ship. It is not good for learning tactics and strategy. With bots, you wait and they will come to you, and fast. For real training, PvP is the place. PvE (Coop) will teach you bad habits.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

wow.. I really appreciate all the responses....

Thanks a lot guys :)

I think I'm gonna stay with the Japanese DD line for now as my main one, but will also start the American cruiser line.

One more quesiton... Co Op games.. I noticed its real ppl vs bots; is this a good ground for training or do you suggest I use normal pubbies..

Thanks again.

This is a very good place to learn.  Especially if you want to work on a specific skill, such as stealth torping...you can practice staying concealed when making a torp run on a ship that is sailing towards you (BB's, CAs)...learn what the actual capabilities are of your guns, etc. 

I highly recommend that when you unlock a new ship that you play a few PvE battles to get a feel for the it's strengths and weaknesses.  Also, there are several ships/lines where things can change significantly...like the USN CA line at T6 where the Cleveland does not have torps, or the IJN DD line at T6 where the Mutsuki has only 2 torp tubes with much longer reload times, but longer distance.

Members
921 posts
13,862 battles

I started down the IJN DD line when I began, as well - but I found it to be a pretty specialized form of game-play, and I shelved it at tier 5 until quite recently, when the skills I've learned allow me to take better advantage of that specialized game play.

What worked for me was to start with a number of lines (I began with Russian destroyers, US destroyers, cruisers and battleships, and Japanese destroyers, cruisers and battleships) and then concentrate on the lines I enjoyed playing the most - leaving myself lots of options so game-play/meta never became stale.

If a person were to insist on concentrating on one line, and further refining it to destroyers - I would very much recommend that newer player start with the US destroyer line.  They are arguably the strongest DD line in the game - but more importantly - they teach a balanced game style, relying on guns and torps interchangeably (the Japanese DD line specializes in torps - the Russian DD line specializes in guns).

Anyway - you really can't go wrong no matter what you decide!

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

Coop is easy at low tiers (on purpose), but at high tiers they will really hurt you and the bot team might win.

It is fast and easy but pays very little in XP and credits. It is good to unwind, or to learn a new ship. It is not good for learning tactics and strategy. With bots, you wait and they will come to you, and fast. For real training, PvP is the place. PvE (Coop) will teach you bad habits.

Agreed that the bots in PvE are much more aggressive than what you will find in PvP so you won't learn actual tactics and strategy...but you can learn what your ship can and can't do, and individual tactics (like stealth firing your main battery in a USN DD) can be practiced.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,188 posts
15,766 battles

I suggest you try everything. Cruisers are a good middle of the road, but for all you know you might like Carrier play more than anything if you try it. 

QFT, play all of the classes to see what you enjoy but also to understand how they work to better counter them when you encounter them. That said the order of ease of play is BB's, Cruisers, DD's, CV's.

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

Ok...

So, I'm about 170 games or so into this..let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has provided advice on here and in game, I watch a lot of videos and lessons on WOWS so that I don't have the same beginning I had in WOT.

I also think it helps coming from WOT, as I do have experience with Wargaming.

Anyway, I'm at tier 6 in the IJN dd line and tier 4 with the USN dd line.  I also have some CA's and BB, but I'm mainly focusing on destroyers.

The biggest complaint I have with this game is that BB's seem to rule, meaning, if you have inexperienced or baddie BB captains compared to the other team, you will lose almost 100% of the time unless you get some sort of hero game from a dd.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm a noob, I know that.  And I may be totally off base, but do CA's even matter in this game?  I know all ships have a role, but with the amount of BB's, I don't see a role for cruisers.

And I would rather play a cruiser over a battleship, they fire more frequent, they are more engaged, but in my short experience, they are just way under powered vs battleships.

Sign in to follow this