Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lonelysoldiergames

LSG's Diary of a Noob #1 - Learning to play battleships

13 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
61 battles

Picked up a Konig Albert, based on some reviews here.  I figured a giant tank that moves slowly and punches hard would be a fairly noob friendly way into Battleships.  I've had just a few PvP game so far. The first few games sucked hard, as expected. But then I had one wicked game where I blasted everything in sight - that sealed the deal.  So far my line of thinking on how to play battleships has gone like this.  

1.  I'm big and stronk and invincible - run into the middle and shoot everything.

2.  I'm big and stronk but not quite invincible.  Run into the middle and shoot everything, but try and angle my armour sometimes.  

3.  Holy crap these guns turn slowly. Try and keep the reds on one side from now on. 

3a. Man, those secondary guns add up after a while.  Close the distance!

4.  While keeping most reds on one side makes shooting them easier, my backside is hanging out for whoever's left.  Maybe I should use some island or meatshields teammates to cover it.  

5.  Wait - if my exposed side is vulnerable, so are similarly situated red ships.  I should look for and prioritize those.

6.  Egads, maybe through prudent maneuvering and teamwork, we can actively manufacture situations where Reds are positioned vulnerably like that.  

7. Yes, I can make a cup of tea in between reloads.

1-20: Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of th.....GODDAMN TORPEDOES!!!*&!^&*^!*(%!!!

• Cool 7

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

Picked up a Konig Albert, based on some reviews here.  I figured a giant tank that moves slowly and punches hard would be a fairly noob friendly way into Battleships.  I've had just a few PvP game so far. The first few games sucked hard, as expected. But then I had one wicked game where I blasted everything in sight - that sealed the deal.  So far my line of thinking on how to play battleships has gone like this.  

1.  I'm big and stronk and invincible - run into the middle and shoot everything.
2.  I'm big and stronk but not quite invincible.  Run into the middle and shoot everything, but try and angle my armour sometimes.  
3.  Holy crap these guns turn slowly. Try and keep the reds on one side from now on. 
4.  While keeping most reds on one side makes shooting them easier, my backside is hanging out for whoever's left.  Maybe I should use some island or meatshields teammates to cover it.  
5.  Wait - if my exposed side is vulnerable, so are similarly situated red ships.  I should look for and prioritize those.
6.  Egads, maybe through prudent maneuvering and teamwork, we can actively manufacture situations where Reds are positioned vulnerably like that.  

1-20: Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of th.....GODDAMN TORPEDOES!!!*&!^&*^!*(%!!!

Yes, YES

If only new people could think like you~!

+1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

giphy.gif

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Most people stop at step 1,  and then rage when they get killed because battleships are supposed to be invincible. 

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
8,968 battles

Most people stop at step 1,  and then rage when they get killed because battleships are supposed to be invincible. 

Maybe at low tiers, but above tier 5 you are more likely to see the baddies on the 1 or 10 line or camping the base. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

I didn't remember you till 1:20, but, yeah... now I remember you!

(PS, the post is great, literally laughing till it hurts. great way to disseminate needed information, please keep it up)

Edited by Umikami

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

The good news:

1) The tier 3 US BB South carolina, while being a touch slower, and having fewer secondaries, is more maneuverable and has bigger guns set up in the standard dreadnought fashion- all along the midline- the way all US and IJN BB's are (Save Kawachi).   It's a bit easier to dodge torps in SC than in Nassau or Konig Albert.  Even more so, once you learn to recognize situations with a high torpedo probability, and act accordingly.    Including yours, there are only 4 BB's with wing turrets in the game- all but one are German.

2) the tier 3 German BB Nassau is just like your Albert, with a few minor tweaks. (same class) 

3) they only really get better from here!   With practice,a good BB player can be a nightmare for the enemy!  That, and the ships get better and better.

Each national line is slightly different.  German, as you know specializes in toughness, secondaries, and close range brawling.  Accuracy is not so great, but the AP shells are very good.  They're also fairly speedy for their type.  The main battery is often slightly smaller than it's peers at that tier, but they reload faster.

USN also does well at closer range, but they prefer a more mid range fight.   Secondaries range from WTH is this???  to fairly decent.  Instead, you get AA that ranges from meh at low tiers, to godlike in the higher tiers.  Pretty well armored where it counts most, but with very little at the ends.  They can tank pretty darn well.  One big advantage, is that the progression from tier to tier is very linear- each ship builds on the last, with no big surprises until tier 8( where they get faster, and the gun characteristics change).  They're comfortable to play and level up in, as the playstyle remains mostly the same.   Has good HE and AP shells.   They tend to be shortish and fat- making them quite maneuverable- which makes up a lot for the slower speed.  Usually the slowest of the three, but that just means it's harder to yolo off ahead of everyone and get in trouble, lol.   They're all solid ships, and some are monsters.   Either you like the playstyle or you don't.

IJN:  Faster and longer ranged than the US line, they get access to the accuracy upgrade much earlier.   They also have better secondaries.  AA- not so much...

This line is a roller coaster, with many jarring changes in form and style.    In general, Japanese BB's are faster and longer ranged than their US counterparts, but slower to turn, and with less citadel protection.  They mostly prefer the longer ranged game, and aren't as good "inside", like the US and German BB's are.  They generally have the worst AA of the three.   Many prefer them, others prefer USN.

I recommend trying out all three lines, and going up to at least tier 5.  That should give you the best sense of where you want to concentrate from there.

Welcome to the fun of being the tank, and landing those massive damage salvos that make cruiser and DD drivers cuss.

The bad news:

Most BB's have decks and superstructures made of some sort of solid gasoline.  You will burn, and you will burn a LOT.

BB's are also torpedo and bomber magnets, so get used to dodging the sky and sea cancers.   Learn to be good at shooting running, dodging Destroyers, not only will it reduce the torpedo soup, but it REALLLYYYY annoys them, lol.  ( making a destroyer go ka-blooey with your BB is enormously satisfying)

You're also very random number dependant- some games you will cackle with glee like a lunatic, others you will curse, scream, and gnash your teeth with frustration as all your shots scatter and miss, bounce, or do minimal damage.  It's the WAY of the BB- learn it, live it, love it!

Also get used to waiting forever for your turrets to turn and reload- it's your pennance for having the biggest, nastiest guns in the battle.

And, if you plan on spending a lot of time here on the forums, enjoy the life of the scapegoat.  You WILL be blamed for everything, from losses, and other players' bad games, to nerfs to other types of ship.    Ignore them.  Haters gotta hate, you know...

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

USN BBs make me very, very sad...South Carolina was OK-ish...I disliked Wyoming and I hated New York so much I sold it.  I figure in another couple years of solid playing, I might have enough Free EXP to skip to North Carolina and then grind Iowa.  I sold it, so I now cannot remember how much I hated it and keep toying with the idea of buying it back...and, I may...but...ugh.  Just ugh.  21 kts.  GTFO.  I don't know how I feel about the Germans yet...don't have the Tier 5 yet.  I received the ARP Heie...so, Kongo...that seems like a nice boat...but, I think I only played like one game in it.  I think that, short term, the appeal of the Bayern and Gneisenau exceeds that of the Fuso and Nagato...but, I am totally speculating.  New Mexico and Colorado don't really have any appeal...I just want "The Showboat" and Iowa.  BB play seems more dynamic that Cruiser play in some ways.  Every cruiser match seems to turn into "Oh geez, oh geez, oh geez, please don't let those shells hit me...run away, run away...spam some HE, run away, run away...oh, geez, oh, geez...run, run, I am so dead...HE, HE...oh geez...they missed...oh, crap...turn, turn, turn..."  At least with a BB you don't constantly need to run scared all match.  ;)

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

USN BBs make me very, very sad...South Carolina was OK-ish...I disliked Wyoming and I hated New York so much I sold it.  I figure in another couple years of solid playing, I might have enough Free EXP to skip to North Carolina and then grind Iowa.  I sold it, so I now cannot remember how much I hated it and keep toying with the idea of buying it back...and, I may...but...ugh.  Just ugh.  21 kts.  GTFO.  I don't know how I feel about the Germans yet...don't have the Tier 5 yet.  I received the ARP Heie...so, Kongo...that seems like a nice boat...but, I think I only played like one game in it.  I think that, short term, the appeal of the Bayern and Gneisenau exceeds that of the Fuso and Nagato...but, I am totally speculating.  New Mexico and Colorado don't really have any appeal...I just want "The Showboat" and Iowa.  BB play seems more dynamic that Cruiser play in some ways.  Every cruiser match seems to turn into "Oh geez, oh geez, oh geez, please don't let those shells hit me...run away, run away...spam some HE, run away, run away...oh, geez, oh, geez...run, run, I am so dead...HE, HE...oh geez...they missed...oh, crap...turn, turn, turn..."  At least with a BB you don't constantly need to run scared all match.  ;)

Well if you are in a Kongo and broadside to a NM or a Fuso...those 12 356mm guns should scare you...like wise if you are in a Fuso and you are broadside to any T7/T8 bb you should be scared....if you are in a NC or an Amagi and broadside to any BB....you should be scared....and guess what, given the slow speed of BB's, you are constantly having to "run" scared

Members
6 posts
61 battles

Thanks for the tips!  But don't go cheering to much, especially if I'm on your team.  While I may be thinking around Step 7, my actual execution is somewhere around Step -2.  How do you get to Carnegie?:honoring:

Sign in to follow this