You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
godzilla5549

[UPDATE: Proof Has Been Found] British Cruisers Possibly Delayed?

173 comments in this topic

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

James White on "Wargaming FM" radio said that RN cruisers in their current state were cancelled and will be rebalanced - "with focus on speed, better AP penetration, engine boost, and, maybe repair party, HE smoke is in the past".

Also, they don't post recordings anywhere, so it's a huge pain to make a prooflink (basically you need to find a guy who recorded it), but, I suppose, it'll be announced soon.

I have no clue if this is real or not, but the name James White does ring a bell with me.

UPDATE: PROOF - https://www.twitch.tv/wargamingfmwows/v/88990119

- from 1:37:30. You still need to know russian.

IF ANYONE CAN TRANSLATE, THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
6,174 battles

Not entirely appropriate because if things are unbalanced then yes they need to be fixed, but this came to my head....

Edited by FCA_Wichita
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,575 battles

Interesting if true (not to mention enraging, I want my T10 Atlanta with smoke, damnit!). 

If true, I wonder if WG is looking at larger overall changes to prevent/significantly limit "HE Smoke". 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

James White on "Wargaming FM" radio said that RN cruisers in their current state were cancelled and will be rebalanced - "with focus on speed, better AP penetration, engine boost, and, maybe repair party, HE smoke is in the past".

Also, they don't post recordings anywhere, so it's a huge pain to make a prooflink (basically you need to find a guy who recorded it), but, I suppose, it'll be announced soon.

I have no clue if this is real or not, but the name James White does ring a bell with me.

kD3e1Hv.jpg

Not one British cruiser went above 33 knots. Want speed? Go Japanese or Russian. Better AP penetration? With 6 inch guns? If true what drugs are Wargaming smoking and can I have some?

And why am I not surprised. I've only been waiting 4 years watching WG delaying the Royal Navy time after time after time.

Edited by Super_Dreadnought
  • Cool 6

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

I wonder if they'll still have access to radar. Note that it's known that they didn't get defensive AA despite packing some of the best AA dps in the game.

I guess games filled with smoke cruisers wouldn't be all that healthy (you might say games will become a Flint-lock :hide_turtle:).

Buffing AP and speed is likely the only real options if they need to replace the power and survivability of smoke HE spam.

My question is how this might influence possible future high tier CLs, like the USN split. If they prefer to shy away from HE, what would differentiate them from the RN CLs?

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Eh, I'm not surprised.  Infinite HE rainbows while island hugging and smoking and letting a DD light up the opposition nearby would make for some pretty annoying gameplay.  Moreso since they apparently had some actual range in the upper tiers (one of the posters mentioned a Minotaur with 16km range).

As far as AP goes, I'm guessing better normalization or whatever it is that allows them to not bounce as often.  Still would be a pain in the aft, but not as painful as infinite-stealth HE rainbows.

I did notice they're apparently keeping single-fire torpedoes though.  So they still have that asymmetrical threat advantage.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I am unsure of who on this forum would actually know anything about this or would be able to comment as to the veracity of the statement. 

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Sounds like a logical decision if true. Imagine a battle with 6 of those + the smoke from destroyers and well, the game would just reach a deadlock since visibility would be null.

Also, if the stats of the Flint aren't enough to back up how fast firing from smoke can easily turn into a bad idea, I don't know what is...

That said, I admit I was actually looking forward to the smoke firing potential they'd have :sceptic:

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

On the plus side, this is just stat tweaking.

The hard bit is the 3d modelling, and that's all done.

I wouldn't expect any more than a 1 patch delay.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,896 battles

Weird, I'll wait for some kind of announcement before making much of it, though as there's no set release date there may not be there.

To an extent I don't know what changes they can make, if this is correct, presumably with the ship models they have this line is all there is unless you want to spend 3 months remodeling new ones...

[REVY]
Members
9,646 posts
7,316 battles

Any ideas on what roles RN cruisers would be good at in the current meta?

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Meh, I've already got a fairly good high speed HE spammer.... with 13" guns....

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

I just can't see RN cruiser being very good without their smoke and HE spam. The are on the slow side for speed, they have weak armor and health pool, low calibre but fast firing guns along with average AA and good torpedoes until high tiers.

Without some serious concealment buffs, the loss of smoke will turn these things into RU/USN cruiser and battleship XP pinatas. 

• Cool 2

Members
237 posts
5,314 battles

I just can't see RN cruiser being very good without their smoke and HE spam. The are on the slow side for speed, they have weak armor and health pool, low calibre but fast firing guns along with average AA and good torpedoes until high tiers.

Without some serious concealment buffs, the loss of smoke will turn these things into RU/USN cruiser and battleship XP pinatas. 

I doubt the will get concealment buffs considering they already have lowest concealment for a cruiser at tier 10 (also able to stealth torp, with full concealment). If you lower it any more you get to RU DD levels. Also their AA is great and the Minotaur has AA comparable if not better than the DM, since it has DP 6in guns. 

It will be interesting to see what they do to make them viable at higher tiers. I thought that smoke would be the only way to do it but it looks like that's not happening. 

Edited by thepointofluck

[REVY]
Members
9,646 posts
7,316 battles

Maybe RN cruisers could be given a heal instead of a smoke?  They only have 6" guns.

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

I doubt the will get concealment buffs considering they already have lowest concealment for a cruiser at tier 10 (also able to stealth torp, with full concealment). If you lower it any more you get to RU DD levels. Also their AA is great and the Minotaur has AA comparable if not better than the DM, since it has DP 6in guns. 

It will be interesting to see what they do to make them viable at higher tiers. I thought that smoke would be the only way to do it but it looks like that's no happening. 

They have terrible speed, armor, health and gun damage. Take away their smoke and you leave them dangerous open to getting easily deleted by even cruisers. Their AA isn't even close to good until higher tiers, when AA is high anyway. 

HP regen and speed boost isn't enough to save these things from being food for the BB spam meta.

• Cool 4