You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

Torps Torps torps Tired of Torpedos!

94 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

WARGAMING!

Last 5 games I have been sunk by torpedoes and frankly I am getting tired of aircraft dropping torpedos right on top so I have NO chance to maneuver.   Always just a sitting duck!  I am tired of being a sitting duck as it IS NOT FUN .  2nd tired of invisible DDs firing torps that are invisible till they are close to you so you can not try and miss them. Again being a sitting duck IS NO FUN!

I stop playing games that ARE NO FUN  

NERF THESE STUPID TORPEDOS>   This has only been a problem since the last patch and it is REALLY starting to piss me off.

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
2,071 battles

Torpedoes have already been nerfed to near uselessness.  If you can't get out of their way, that's on you.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Why has it only been a problem since the last patch?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

Start maneuvering BEFORE the torpedo warning goes off.

• Cool 4

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Never was an issue for me prior to the last patch.  I play mostly BBs and they ARE NOT that easy to maneuver away from torps.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Never was an issue for me prior to the last patch.  I play mostly BBs and they ARE NOT that easy to maneuver away from torps.

Funny. I don't have this problem in BBs. Neither does anyone I know that's good at BBs. 

Do some forum searching and you'll find a wealth of info on how to fight torpedoes. I don't feel like typing it all out when I do so once a week or so.

All I'll say is be proactive, not reactive, and learn to read a minimap. Search forums to expand on that.

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
2,071 battles

I play mostly BBs and they ARE NOT that easy to maneuver away from torps.

That's because you aren't anticipating them before they are launched.  If you don't start to react to torpedoes until they're on the way, you're going to have problems with water in your ship.  If you regularly change speed and heading and keep an eye out for torpedo planes so you can anticipate their drops, it's not hard to stay dry.

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

You shouldn't be turning away from torpedo spreads to begin with, unless they're approaching from astern.

Turn into torpedo spreads, you're more likely to dodge them all that way.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

If you start dodging the torpedoes AFTER they're dropped from the TBs, its already too late and you deserve to get nailed by them.

Start dodging them BEFORE they're dropped, ie, dodge the planes themselves. Turn your bow towards the TBs and left ctrl+click on the squadron to help take more out. If you do that, at most you'll probably take maybe one torpedo from an entire spread, which, in a BB, is fine.

• Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Start maneuvering BEFORE the torpedo warning goes off.

And how do you do that from an invisible DD?   I know to point the bow towards aircraft but the players are getting good and crisscross with their aircraft making it impossible to not get hit.  Seems all me do is play a ship that is constantly trying to avoid torpedoes and it is getting old.

Members
650 posts
1,842 battles

Did anything about torpedoes change in the last patch? Don't believe so. Maybe you just feel like you're having more torps launched at you because there was a DD event going on so lots of people are playing them.

Have you ever tried playing DD's? I recommend you do so before you complain about torps if not. Then you'll see how hard DD players have to work for successful torpedo attacks. Sure now and then you can get some lucky hits just by launching and crossing your fingers but a perfectly executed "devastating strike" torp attack takes a lot of skill and effort.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

WASD more often (every 20 seconds). Put vigilance on your captains instead of superintendent. Keep map awareness. Turn into the torpedoes. If you see a DD, react immediately not when you see the torps. Launch a scout plane if you see a DD.

Etc. etc. etc.

• Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

And how do you do that from an invisible DD?   I know to point the bow towards aircraft but the players are getting good and crisscross with their aircraft making it impossible to not get hit.  Seems all me do is play a ship that is constantly trying to avoid torpedoes and it is getting old.

He appeared after I was hit/

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Hi...I'm scruffy, this is my first day in torpedo Anonymous. 

I don't WASD as often as I should and like to sail in straight lines. Nor do I pay attention to the minimap or my surroundings. 

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

A sitting duck implies you are not moving, that's your first mistake in a battleship.

A few things.

You clearly have poor map awareness.

Stop sailing in straight, predictable lines.

Always turn into torpedoes.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

And how do you do that from an invisible DD?

Those are the easiest to dodge. If they're invisible, they're at least 5km out, which means that their torpedoes take a while to reach where they predicted you'd be. Simply don't be there by using WASD every now and then, and they won't hit you.
  • Cool 3

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

I've been seeing way too many people not even trying to avoid incoming torpedoes.

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Look folks I was doing these tactics before and had no issues with torpedoes.  Seems to be a recent problem, so Yeah I have gone to youtube ect. 

[TDM]
Members
152 posts
6,241 battles

A few suggestions for you:

If this is happening repeatedly, I would gather your too far away from supporting team mates.  Stay a bit closer to your cruisers for help with anti-aircraft fire.  The more ships around you the less chance a carrier is willing to take a chance losing all their planes on a torp drop.  Incoming torps from DD's (again you said the last 5 games) tells me your not using your WASD keys.  Don't forget just a slight change in speed is just as effective as turning, and try not to push without your teamates.  I know there is a fine line between staying in a group and pushing and they don't always mend well together.  If your team is afraid to push with you sometimes there are good reasons why, sometimes it's just derp gameplay (more time than not it's the latter).  Use your chat in game and be proactive.  Get a game plan together with your teamates and try to be constructive in chat.  Ive notices most games that have positive chat do much better than those games with name calling and such.  Bottom line is this, if your constantly getting torped, pull back just a bit and keep a few team players close enough to help when those planes get close to you.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Best advice I can give.

If you're detected, assume a dd is near by, and thus assume torpedos are incoming, that way you'll never be caught off guard.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

He appeared after I was hit/

If there are DD still alive on the enemy team and not spotted for you, always assume they're hunting YOU. React accordingly. Change speed and coarse constantly, even when they're not spotted. Even if you know where they are, still be careful, and always make sure you know the general idea where they are.

If you see smoke, theres a good chance a DD is hiding in it, so avoid it if you can. Also, calling them out using F3 when they're spotted to alert your team to them is a very good idea as well. Lets your team know there is a DD near by, and chances are, they'll try and focus it if they're using half their brain.

Its really not that hard mate. I play BB pretty much MOST of the time, and torpedoes are no issue for me.