Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Met my first Dunkirque yesterday,

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

... and killed it!  

Was taking my Kirov out for a spin, and encountered this coming around a corner, after evading his shells (mostly) for half the game.  I was quicker on the trigger than he was.

Also rekt a Pepsi from halfway across the map with one good salvo.  (to be fair, someone else had been shooting it up- I just spotted it sailing broadside to me, and landed pretty much a full salvo amidships.)

Would have had a 'Zona, too- he was flooding hard after eating a full salvo of my torps, and was on a sliver of health- but my NY buddy popped him with a stray secondary shell...  ( he was dueling it out with my teammate in the NY, and not paying any attention to me- that's the ONLY reason I let him get THAT close, lol)

All in all, I'm beginning to enjoy this ship!   Fragile as hell, but it can do some serious damage, as long as it isn't being shot at too much.

Speaking of which:  I was looking at Molotov, and noticed that it's practically identical to Kirov- just 1 tier higher.  ( I haven't set up or played mine yet)  Anyone know why that is?

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

was looking at Molotov, and noticed that it's practically identical to Kirov- just 1 tier higher.  ( I haven't set up or played mine yet)  Anyone know why that is?

Because that's what it is.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

Kirov is a tough ship to excel in, since she has a slow reload and is basically a floating citadel.  But if you can make her work, she can be deadly in the right hands.

As for the Dunkerque, don't underestimate them.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I was looking at Molotov, and noticed that it's practically identical to Kirov- just 1 tier higher.  ( I haven't set up or played mine yet)  Anyone know why that is?

Molotov gets substantially better guns (faster firing, flatter trajectory). Everything else is similar.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,188 posts
15,766 battles

As for the Dunkerque, don't underestimate them.

This, the belt armor is soft but when well angled it shrugs off hits from even BB's and the 12.9" guns pack a punch.

Members
157 posts

Dunkerque can be an easy pickin's or a soab to deal with. All depends on who is operating her. I myself am an "okay" captain of that ship. Several scenarios i've been able to just give my bow to the enemy BB's and they just bounce right off of me. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Oh we'd been plinking away at each other on and off for half the game.   Heck- half the match was spent trying to evade shots and find cover from Dunq and a Colorado!

I saw the soab side-  Most of my early salvos simply bounced and did nothing.  I did manage one good 4,500 pt salvo with a fire, before he swung his guns my way, and I had to run for my life.  His return fire took half my hp, before I could get an island between us.

The finale was a point blank do or die moment.  Either my salvo took him out, or I was dead.  Glad Kirov has nasty guns!

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

This, the belt armor is soft but when well angled it shrugs off hits from even BB's and the 12.9" guns pack a punch.

It is a turtleback armor design as well which gives it a bit more protection than the raw stats suggest.  Frontally, unless you get unlucky you can tank hits all day long.  Also as you say, the guns pack a punch.  They may only be 330mm guns but they actually have significantly more penetration than any of the guns mounted on BB's at Tier 6 including the 380mm and 381mm guns mounted on the Bayern and Warspite respectively.  

Rough penetration numbers:

Dunkerque = 495mm pen @ 10km, 415mm pen @ 15km.

Warspite = 440mm pen @ 10km, 375mm pen @ 15km.

Bayern = 400mm pen @ 10km, 325mm pen @ 15km.

New Mexico = 460mm pen @ 10km, 375mm pen @ 15km

Fuso = 460mm pen @ 10km, 400mm @ 15km

Obviously the smaller caliber means the 330mm guns can't overmatch near as much armor as the Warspite and Bayern but that is still pretty impressive penetration when you consider anything approaching a broadside shot and the 330mm guns fire fast and have tight groupings as well. 

Love my Dunkerque and hands down one of my best performing BBs ever and perfectly capable of performing feats that no other ship in the game seems to be able to do (at least from what I have seen so far).

Members
1,211 posts
4,333 battles

I've had a few 1-v-1 head on jousting matches with Dunkies in my Cleveland.  I can never quite get through the full frontal onslaught for the Ram Of Death.  (teamwork always takes them out moments later, though)

Sign in to follow this