You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TRevWhite

Looking at Texas...

55 comments in this topic

[TOD]
Members
188 posts
3,784 battles

Hey folks. So I've playing for a while now, and have just recently begun building up my fleet of Premium ships (slowly) to help train my captains, grind out credits, and the usual. Anyway, so far I have purchased the Emden for the German line and the Molotov for the Russian line and was awarded the Mikasa for the Japanese line. I'm to the point where I would like to add another and have been looking at the Texas. I've read up on it, researched it a little, and was wondering about the opinions from some of the better players here who have experience in her. Is she a ship worth spending the money on? I've played the American BBs up to the New York (which I know is somewhat similar) and have done decent in those ships. Also, I enjoy playing on mid to lower tiers much better, so I don't really want to add a high tier Premium vessel at this point and also don't want to spend a huge chunk of cash on a game (though at this point, I think I'm too late). Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help. Have fun, and I look forward to hearing your comments and seeing you all in battle...

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

I say buy it. She's the only dreadnought left in the world and the official ship of the Engineer from TF2. This is basically the Texas' AA in a nutshell.

• Cool 4

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

Yep; LWM's review (with Lert assisting) will give you all you need.  I bought the Texas when it was first released and definitely don't regret it.

And if you've played the NY, you have a very good idea of what to expect with the Texas.  The differences are minor, and on the whole I think in the Texas' favor.  IMHO the most important differences between the two are that the Texas has much better AA, but the New York is somewhat more maneuverable and therefore better at dodging torpedoes.

IMHO, Texas is the best first USN Premium purchase currently available.  T5 is a good tier for a general purpose Premium because you can earn decent XP and credits at this tier, but it's not so high that playing with an inexperienced Captain will hamstring you.

Other options are less attractive.  Marblehead is very meh - an inferior version of what is currently the weakest T5 cruiser (the Omaha).  Smith is too quirky and low tier to be effective as a trainer/credit grinder.  The other USN premiums currently available or likely to come available again in the near future are higher tier.

Members
4,608 posts

Got the Texas and don't regret it at all.  I boosted the range of the main guns, she snipes and brawls.  I can do many things with this ship depending on what needs to be done.

[TOD]
Members
188 posts
3,784 battles

IMHO, Texas is the best first USN Premium purchase currently available.  T5 is a good tier for a general purpose Premium because you can earn decent XP and credits at this tier, but it's not so high that playing with an inexperienced Captain will hamstring you.

That's what I've noticed. I LOVE playing the German tier II Emden just for the fun of it, but she doesn't really act well as a trainer/credit-earner at Tier II, thus my consideration for the Tier V Texas. Also, tier VI is about the last place I'm truly comfortable playing. Above that, and I'm just not qualified to have good fights without feeling like I'm the weakest link in my team. Thanks for the help, ForgMaxtor. Much appreciated.

[KIA]
Members
24 posts
11,382 battles

I'd say wait until Arizona gets rereleased. Texas does get good AA, but for me it's too similar to the New York for me. Arizona makes amazing amounts of credits and exp because Tier 6 is when you can earn more because of the need for more. Also it offers it different playstyle compared to New Mexico. The 25mm of bow armor means you can't be overmatched with 14inch shells unlike New Mexico. Texas is still a good ship, but with the current MM Arizona would be your more favorable option.

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

I'd say wait until Arizona gets rereleased. Texas does get good AA, but for me it's too similar to the New York for me. Arizona makes amazing amounts of credits and exp because Tier 6 is when you can earn more because of the need for more. Also it offers it different playstyle compared to New Mexico. The 25mm of bow armor means you can't be overmatched with 14inch shells unlike New Mexico. Texas is still a good ship, but with the current MM Arizona would be your more favorable option.

I love the Arizona, but I wouldn't expect to see her offered again until at least 12/7 for Pearl Harbor Day.  If you're OK with waiting that long, the Arizona would certainly be an option.  She's kind of the opposite of the Texas -- Texas is a NY with buffed AA in exchange for some modest nerfs to other stats, Arizona is a New Mexico with nerfed AA, in exchange for modest buffs to some other stats.  I own both and enjoy both.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Texas is one of my favorite battle wagons. She's durable, her anti air is downright cheap, and her guns feel very reliable,  as the dispersion seems to toss the rounds right where you want them.  If you can cope with her sluggish speed, she'll reward you with many, many exploding Omahas.  ;P

[TOD]
Members
188 posts
3,784 battles

Texas is one of my favorite battle wagons. She's durable, her anti air is downright cheap, and her guns feel very reliable,  as the dispersion seems to toss the rounds right where you want them.  If you can cope with her sluggish speed, she'll reward you with many, many exploding Omahas.  ;P

I can certainly handle the sluggish speed/maneuverability. I know USN Battleships take a lot of flac but they seem to suite me. For some reason the South Carolina was one of my best ships (stats wise). Thanks for all the continued help, folks.

[NGA-C]
Members
82 posts
5,487 battles

I can certainly handle the sluggish speed/maneuverability. I know USN Battleships take a lot of flac but they seem to suite me. For some reason the South Carolina was one of my best ships (stats wise). Thanks for all the continued help, folks.

Mate I got my texas aa to 78 which is two points higher than my main guns. I can shred t7 planes at ranges exceeding 3km, this causes a lot of cariers to rage. I get free fireworks and a show :) The texas is literally america in a ship :D

just look at this

okyv3Um.jpg

Edited by FriedTM

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,090 posts
30,874 battles

Texas' AA is a huge benefit for her tier.  A competent Tier V CVL Zuiho is not to be trifled with.  Texas' AA will dissuade Zuiho from attacking her due to the cost in aircraft.  Zuiho will still get hits in despite Texas' AA, but it will cost her in planes so badly that it will cripple her air groups for the rest of the game.

Because of this, low tier CVs tend to give Texas a lot of leeway as they seek out more vulnerable ships.  This is a big deal, IMO, because by nature, CVs tend to prefer attacking BBs.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles

It is a good low tier BB with great AA. But at tier 5, your credit/exp earning is more limited compared to higher tiers. Also, with recent MM change. You are put too often into higher tiers as a tier5 ship and BBs suffer the most from this since the tier difference for BB is huge.

If Arizona is being sold again, I would definitely recommend that ship over this one.

[TOD]
Members
188 posts
3,784 battles

Texas' AA is a huge benefit for her tier.  A competent Tier V CVL Zuiho is not to be trifled with.  Texas' AA will dissuade Zuiho from attacking her due to the cost in aircraft.  Zuiho will still get hits in despite Texas' AA, but it will cost her in planes so badly that it will cripple her air groups for the rest of the game.

Because of this, low tier CVs tend to give Texas a lot of leeway as they seek out more vulnerable ships.  This is a big deal, IMO, because by nature, CVs tend to prefer attacking BBs.

Thanks for the response. I have definitely noticed the awesome AA of the Texas in game. Impressive for a tier V Battleship to say the lease. I have to say this is one of the main reasons I've been considering her. Again, thanks so much, to all the responders, for the continued help.

[NGA-C]
Members
82 posts
5,487 battles

Thanks for the response. I have definitely noticed the awesome AA of the Texas in game. Impressive for a tier V Battleship to say the lease. I have to say this is one of the main reasons I've been considering her. Again, thanks so much, to all the responders, for the continued help.

​look its a new York with a flag cammo and is almost untouchable by planes boosted and very well defended not boosted. If that is for you get it if not then don't :)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,838 posts
30,525 battles

Get the Texas.... I love her... She is forgiving, beautiful and she eats airplanes for lunch with the AA Module. I have the flag camo but prefer the stock camo (same benefits) because I prefer normal looking stuff. She of course plays much like the New York but she is the Texas so has a special place in this Texan's heart.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

I'm one of the oddballs who loved the New York and did well with it.  Once the Texas released I kept them both briefly and, as much as I said i never would, sold the New York. 

Major things to keep in mind with the Texas:

- Insane AA but it is somewhat short ranged.  You'll shoot down a lot on the attack run but won't get many as they're on the way in.  most CV's know to stay away from a Texas though so you have that.

- Better angle on Turret 3.  Still not a turret you want to rely on, but it's better then the New York.  NY turret #3 I pretty much tell everyone forget it exists

- Same NY armor scheme.  Angle, don't go bow on, bow armor on both ships is lackluster and will lead to heavy hits if not careful

- Slightly less maneuverable, but not badly.

Ship is definitely capable of some impressive things as long as you keep her weaknesses in mind and can play her to her strengths.

KDdOeDf.jpg

[TOD]
Members
188 posts
3,784 battles

Thanks guys for the continuing support... I've decided I'm gonna do it. I've thought about it a while and it seems that for me the goods outweigh the bad. Like I said, I've really enjoyed the USN Battleships to New York (though that is where I quit the line), so it seems only natural I'll enjoy the Texas. Thanks again for all the help. I'll let ya know what happens.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Jeez, don't quit at NY- you still have the NM and the beastly Colorado to look forward to!!  I quit grinding there, because the high tiers are phucked- and may get even worse.

With the new MM changes tier 7 is now kinda the "sweet spot" for playing.   Colorado also gets awesome AA- and punchy as hell 16" guns.  And unlike those at tier 8 and up, these 16"ers are high velocity guns, so you have decent shell arcs and good penetration.  Plus, you'll never have to try and fight a Yamato.  If you love your NY and TX, you'll be more than able to handle the 2-gun turrets on this ship.

I'm one of those weirdos that likes South Carolina and New York, too!  Loved my Texas, but it's taking a "rest" right now, due to the state of tier 5 MM...  (maybe when Scharnhorst spam is no longer a thing, I'll dust it back off...)

Edited by Fletcher7_1944

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
44,990 battles

I enjoy Texas but Tier 5 isn't as much fun anymore with new MatchMaker. You see Tier 6 most often and Tier 7 at least as often as you see Tier 4 (where Texas is great). 

Either Lert or LittleWhiteMouse described her as a fat ballarina. You really can drive torp DDs nuts with the short, fast turns. And WASD will keep you alive longer when the big boys come to town. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,090 posts
30,874 battles

I enjoy Texas but Tier 5 isn't as much fun anymore with new MatchMaker. You see Tier 6 most often and Tier 7 at least as often as you see Tier 4 (where Texas is great). 

Either Lert or LittleWhiteMouse described her as a fat ballarina. You really can drive torp DDs nuts with the short, fast turns. And WASD will keep you alive longer when the big boys come to town. 

My Krispy Kreme is greatly amused with the New MM :hiding:

Members
368 posts
1,545 battles

Indeed. because US AA is concentrated in medium range AA, CV's can generally get off pretty good attacks only losing planes afterwards. Its AA reputation that really keeps them away from you until they have to go for you. 

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

Indeed. because US AA is concentrated in medium range AA, CV's can generally get off pretty good attacks only losing planes afterwards. Its AA reputation that really keeps them away from you until they have to go for you.

You are correct, lacking the Defensive Fire consumable, a CV can "go for you" without getting their drops screwed up by increased dispersion from DF.  However, it is more than just reputation that keeps them a way.  The AA on a Texas is nothing to be trifled with.  I believe mine is showing a 60.  That is in Atlanta/Cleveland range, but at Tier 5.  While it is true that they don't likely lose whole squadrons before they drop or get screwed up drops since there is no DF to worry about, they can go at you when they have to.  However, they don't just "lose planes afterwards."  They lose some coming in and what planes make the drop often don't make it out.  Thus, that reputation is well-deserved.  They pay dearly for trying, and even when they make the drop, it is usually with a weakened squadron having lost one or two planes coming in.

To emphasize that point, I play mostly cruisers and do well against aircraft in them.  For instance, my Cleveland, Atlanta, and Pensacola all have more than double the average tracked in plane kills for those ships, and my Omaha has three times the average tracked.  However, despite that, I have only one Clear Skies (destroy at least 50% of the enemy aircraft resulting in at least 30 kills).  That Clear Skies was earned in my Texas, not one of my Cruisers.

Carriers can make drops against you easier than, say, a Cleveland, since the Texas has no Defensive Fire consumable.  However, CVs avoid the Texas for good reason.   They can make drops, but it will cost them to try.

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

I concur. Having both TX and AZ, I would wait for Arizona to come into the shop again if you can wait.