Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mfezi

Chapayev Tier VIII

14 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
8,742 battles

Loved my Shchors, upgraded to Chapayev but....  handles like a dog, no better armaments and I'm bleeding credits even after a good game. Is it worth persevering with this ship through Tier VIII in the hope of something better or should I revert to the Shchors which is a lot more fun.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

I'm kinda amazed you enjoy one of the worst ships in the game. But anyway, what's your playstyle with the chapy?

[BONKZ]
Members
887 posts
11,695 battles

I'm closing in on the Chapayev as well, and the main trick with the Chappy is stealth firing, use concealment mod and you will get a 2km (or something like that) stealth firing buffer. And everyone should know by now that the T10 Moskva is broken as hell:

• Cool 4

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

If you like it you should probably keep it . But the Moskva is considered one of the Best tier 10 cruisers . So grind to tier 10 and keep the Shchors to .

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,602 battles

The Chappy is a long thin ship, so of course it handles like a dog.  Regardless, from my experience (I own one) it's best to keep the range open and sail with team mates.  Don't sail alone if you can avoid it.  You want to have other team mates (targets) around to give the enemy more choices about who to shoot.

Don't be afraid to use AP against enemy cruisers.  The Chappy can do amazing damage with AP if you get multiple citadels, which is entirely possible if you get into a semi-shortish to moderate range engagement with an enemy cruiser.  And your rate of fire will abuse many larger gunned heavy cruisers.  But never forget that you're soft as a grape ... a rotten grape.

Members
228 posts
6,391 battles

ok I finished grinding Chappy acouple of weeks back. At the beginning, I was like wthis this cr@p ship and had like a 38% winrate?(& I did very well in all previous Russian cruisers) Its armor is better against other cruisers but its still paper against BBs. It also goes against much harder competition.

Than I finally had a 15point captain and changed it into a stealth build. I was like wow this ship is slightly OP. It has one of the most generous stealth fire window in game. Its radar range is also longer than its spotting range so if you are spotted, turn on radar and chase away DD.

Pick and chose ur engagements. Use ur stealth and range; try not to get shot at by BBs and especially at <medium range.

I really regret having sold it but I needed the money. Will probably buy it back next sale or something.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I stopped grinding it. Very frustrating ship. I had a great time in Shchors, but Chappy is nowhere near as a good, and in the current 5 BB per game meta, there's always a BB shooting at you, meaning that you soon become a Devastating Strike for someone. I got tired of being free XP for BB players, so I stopped.

Members
228 posts
6,391 battles

To all of you saying this ship sux; have u tried it with a 15point stealth build? It is true that somehow you need to play a bit differently than previous Russian cruisers.Although I haven't put too much thought into it, but maybe cuz its competition is much harder so you need to pick and chose engagements better. Higher tiers can be very punishing.

Took me 20games to get "not bad" in the ship. But I was doing very well at the end of my grind at around 50-60games.

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

Chappy is one of the best DD hunters in the game. I do run her with a 15 pt stealth-build captain and it makes a huuuuuge difference. 

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
29 posts
17,754 battles

ship is so OP with a 15pnt captain

rekt a GK by myself starting fire after fire, stealth firing 

think he threw his keyboard thru the monitor

no rainbow arcs to deal with and great dd hunter

once u get the b hull it's way more fun

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Chapayev is decidedly mediocre if used without Concealment Expert. I personally had to suffer through her without that skill by hugging islands and firing HE from behind two or three juicier friendlies. HE at max range is all you can do most of the time.

Sign in to follow this