Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Poll: Which American DD is your favorite workhorse?

Which American DD is your favorite workhorse?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which American DD is your favorite workhorse?

• II - Sampson
    • II - Smith
    • III - Wickes
    • IV - Clemson
    • V - Nicolas
    • VI - Farragut
    • VII - Mahan
    • VII - Sims
    • VIII - Benson
    • IX - Fletcher
    • IX - Black
    • X - Gearing

22 comments in this topic

[F11]
Members
1,009 posts
6,782 battles

By "favorite workhorse" I mean the DD that you enjoy playing the most. While not as OP as Russian DDs, American DD are distinctive with their versatility and how they effectively support teammates.

We used to have many of these polls when the game launched, and had great discussions not only on ship selection, but also the strengths and the most effective ways to play each ship. As the game has greatly evolved, I am eager to see what people today like the most.

To help you vote, here is a consolidated sheet of American DD statistics from WarshipStats. I have corrected the kill/death ratio [should be KDR=SKR/(1-SR)]. The vote is non-public, so feel free to vote and you don't have to worried about being flamed.:teethhappy:

gjDm2Ll.jpg

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I am grinding the Mahan right now it's pretty funny when you get the hang of it

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Gearing and Fletcher might be my favorites, but Sims is the definition of a workhorse, death via a thousand cuts and oodles of fun every time.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

I am grinding the Mahan right now it's pretty funny when you get the hang of it

Please tell me the secret. Cause coming off Faragut, Mahan just seems too...slow for lack of a better term. Slower to turn, off the line, I just feel slower in comparison to Farragut. Now I didn't say sims cause just about any DD feels just sluggish compared to sims.

Far as the OP's question it's Sims without a doubt. When I have to retrain my DD skipper I either throw him in Atlanta or sims. Usually near the end of training Exclusively in Atlanta, but since I have BFT/AFT on my DD skippers right now, it works for training in Atlanta.

[F11]
Members
1,009 posts
6,782 battles

Any ideas regarding Benson vs. Fletcher? They have similar stats on win rate, kill/death ratio, and everything, but people now seem to overwhelmingly favor Fletcher?!

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,740 battles

My beson has grown on me having played it for the past week'n a half. Its a good ship for hwat it is and if your a seasoned captain you can really deliver some damage in this ship!:playing:

Will mention though Clemson is hands down my GO-2 seal cluber when I'm having a bad day!:read_fish:

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Any ideas regarding Benson vs. Fletcher? They have similar stats on win rate, kill/death ratio, and everything, but people now seem to overwhelmingly favor Fletcher?!

Cause fletcher is just that good at tier 9 and she's actually better than the tier 10.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

It's because Fletcher is a really good torp boat, on top of being a good gun boat.

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

I love the Clemson.  It is fairly durable as destroyers go, it has amazing guns for it's tier and while it suffers from the drawback of American torpedoes it shines in a knife fight against other dd's of the same tier.  If a cruiser or bb makes the mistake of getting too close six torps can ruin their day.   I love it to the point of having no desire to grind farther.  I have the nicholas unlocked but haven't bought it because I'm just not done with Clemson yet.

[MKF]
Members
584 posts
20,416 battles

Imagine Benson with faster torp reload and longer ranged torps...

[F11]
Members
1,009 posts
6,782 battles

Imagine Benson with faster torp reload and longer ranged torps...

Well.. I'm definitely going to get Fletcher myself then. I have met a few and they are formidable gunboats.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Fletcher feels much more comfortable to use because it improves on Benson in every respect.

Members
1,228 posts
6,330 battles

Clemson, the DD face smasher. Miss your first wave of torps? no matter just turn to the other side and a fresh batch for any poor BB lucky enough to dodge the first set!

Enemy DD in cap? Good thing I have double gun mounts! I might as be a light cruiser at this point!

Edited by OliverPerry

Beta Testers
218 posts
5,775 battles

Gearing and Fletcher are very close for me, but Gearing gets my vote because it is the only Tier X I have (of all the USN Tier Xs and the Yamato) that I actually look forward to going out and play with. All the other Tier Xs feel like work just to break even on credits. 

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Gearing is the best Destroyer in game.

Khab is not a destroyer btw, it's Stalin reincarnated as Superman in video game form.....

Edited by slak__

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Got the Gearing back in November, and I still play it at least once nearly every gaming session since.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Gearing is the best Destroyer in game.

Khab is not a destroyer btw, it's Stalin reincarnated as Superman in video game form.....

Soviets weren't included in WNT, so their definition of "destroyer" and "cruiser" are not the same as most other countries.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Soviets weren't included in WNT, so their definition of "destroyer" and "cruiser" are not the same as most other countries.

lol this explanation is incredible....

Sign in to follow this