You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bfizzle

Secondary build is best build for German BBs

21 comments in this topic

Members
140 posts
3,280 battles

EPHSDbi.jpg

cOy1qth.jpg

In case you weren't convinced. And FYI I didn't fire a single HE shell all game

Edited by Bfizzle

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

In case you weren't convinced. And FYI I didn't fire a single HE shell all game

and detail report will prove that. but don't see that

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

Yes I've had "OP!" yelled at me after they are getting shotgunned by 10.6 km secondaries. Seems like it was quite the shock.

Say hello to the BIsmarck gentlemen.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

A pair of DDs raged at me when my Kurfurst took both of them down (don't have Manual Secondaries yet) while I was completely focused on dodging their torps and sinking this other battleship coming at me.

I'd say it's a great setup to run for the KM BBs in general, though slightly losing a km or two in exchange for slightly better dispersion seems to help me land more main shots.

[BANGO]
Members
809 posts
26,528 battles

Yeah, I ran the Tirpitz in PT with full secondaries and a 15 pt capt and it was a death machine in tight, and I'm a crappy BB player at that.

OTH 952 shots, 265 hits and 18 fires in a 14 minute match. Nice to have a LOT of guns......

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

Nice and all, but points to crappy game mechanics. If a BB needs its secondaries to do the heavy lifting, it is a flawed ship or flawed tiering. And no ship should require a eleventy point captain to get competitive.

Edited by teamoldmill
  • Cool 1

Members
140 posts
3,280 battles

Nice and all, but points to crappy game mechanics. If a BB needs its secondaries to do the heavy lifting, it is a flawed ship or flawed tiering. And no ship should require a eleventy point captain to get competitive.

In all of those games my primary 15" guns did the most damage, the secondary guns just added a significant amount to boost the damage total

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,090 posts
30,874 battles

A pair of DDs raged at me when my Kurfurst took both of them down (don't have Manual Secondaries yet) while I was completely focused on dodging their torps and sinking this other battleship coming at me.

I'd say it's a great setup to run for the KM BBs in general, though slightly losing a km or two in exchange for slightly better dispersion seems to help me land more main shots.

IMO, for those upper tier German BBs, Main Battery Build is just as enticing.  Faster reload on top of reducing the dispersion of those 420mm guns to 249m (GK value) is nice.
Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

In all of those games my primary 15" guns did the most damage, the secondary guns just added a significant amount to boost the damage total

That secondary boost will allow less than stellar players to get the overall ship average up. Lowers the skill floor is all, actually lowers the ceiling as well since a large portion of your game is now just automatic. I just don't like that.

Put it this way.... take away some range from the Yamato's secondaries, would it be a bad ship? Nope, would still crush. Take them away from the T8-10 Germans? Pukey ships. And the other ships do not rely on that high skilled captain to remain in the race. Then again, only a few hundred people playing this game it seems like and they are are dedicated, guess 15 point captains are the standard.

Edited by teamoldmill

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

That secondary boost will allow less than stellar players to get the overall ship average up. Lowers the skill floor is all, actually lowers the ceiling as well since a large portion of your game is now just automatic. I just don't like that.

Put it this way.... take away some range from the Yamato's secondaries, would it be a bad ship? Nope, would still crush. Take them away from the T8-10 Germans? Pukey ships. And the other ships do not rely on that high skilled captain to remain in the race. Then again, only a few hundred people playing this game it seems like and they are are dedicated, guess 15 point captains are the standard.

I'm not really convinced that having powerful secondary batteries lowers the skill floor for a ship.  Getting high damage out of a secondary battery requires you to get close to enemy ships and then stay there for some time without getting obliterated by focus fire or torpedoes.  It's not "free" damage because fighting less than 10 km from your target is inherently less safe than fighting 15 km away instead.

Also, I'm quite happy that the German BB's have powerful secondaries because it has a positive effect on the high-tier metagame.  I like having ships that are encouraged to push into close quarters and engage enemies at medium to short range.  High tier play needs that so badly right now.

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

I'm not really convinced that having powerful secondary batteries lowers the skill floor for a ship.  Getting high damage out of a secondary battery requires you to get close to enemy ships and then stay there for some time without getting obliterated by focus fire or torpedoes.  It's not "free" damage because fighting less than 10 km from your target is inherently less safe than fighting 15 km away instead.

Also, I'm quite happy that the German BB's have powerful secondaries because it has a positive effect on the high-tier metagame.  I like having ships that are encouraged to push into close quarters and engage enemies at medium to short range.  High tier play needs that so badly right now.

Yes, agreed. But I knew there would be whining about the Bismarck; they whined about the Tirpitz having torps as well.

There is a definite skill set in using your secondaries to good effect. Setting up various BBs for amplified secondary fire and range is about as "legit" as it can get for a battleship, WoW or RL.

[BANGO]
Members
809 posts
26,528 battles

Also all these high caliber defeats are getting annoying

I don't know about annoying, but I have noticed lately that some of MY best games (IJN dd) have been loses. I don't know if that means there were just more targets left for me or what or if the damage and capping gets divie'd up more evenly when a team wins, and doesn't need any ONE person to carry the match.

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

I don't know about annoying, but I have noticed lately that some of MY best games (IJN dd) have been loses. I don't know if that means there were just more targets left for me or what or if the damage and capping gets divie'd up more evenly when a team wins, and doesn't need any ONE person to carry the match.

Usually the last man standing on a defeat gets serious damage as they are running away, enemy gets more bold to get the kill, etc.