Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ColdCast253

Are They Ever Going to Balance CV's?

14 comments in this topic

[T_D_F]
Beta Testers
173 posts
17,000 battles

I'm just asking, because the current meta is crap. I mean absolute, pile of cattle manure levels of crap. 

American carriers are singularly the most underpowered line in the game. The number of times a friendly carrier has been completely unable to do damage or support the team, never mind compete against an enemy Japanese carrier is obscene. It has gotten to the point that the majority of games in which the friendly carrier is US, and the enemy carrier is Japanese will doom me to death by a thousand carrier strikes. It doesn't seem to particularly matter if I'm running a ship with an AA spec or not. Japanese carriers just power through the aircraft losses and take down my ship anyway. After all, why would it matter if they lose a dozen aircraft killing one ship? They've got more. That ship can't exactly regen the massive amount of damage caused by repeated strikes and fire / flooding damage. I should make a point to say that this doesn't happen every time. If a ship hasn't yet been hit or burned its repairs, the extra damage can be reliably mitigated. With cooldown timers barely exceeding the time it takes for a carrier strike to return, rearm, and go back out again, any use of the damage control party outside of repairing fires or flooding from carrier strikes WILL get you killed should you have the misfortune of being focused by a Japanese carrier.

This kind of situation is incredibly frustrating, because there is no reliable counter to it. This isn't like avoiding destroyers in a battleship, where putting distance between you and the enemy, or avoiding certain areas of the map will save you more often than not. It isn't like avoiding battleships in a cruiser, where concealment, terrain, and effective focus fire can mitigate the threat. I quite routinely see Taihos and Hakuryus sending six squadron attacks through a wall of AA fire, still able to nail a target with damage reliably. Yes, they lose aircraft and yes, the strikes tend to not do massive crippling damage immediately. But if their target has been focused, it doesn't matter. Fires and floods will pull HP off for a good 30 seconds if the CV player was aware that they had recently used their damage control to deal with a previous fire or flood. The problem with US carriers seems to be a combination of 1) a massive disadvantage in the number of strike squadrons, (so long as defensive AA and cat. fighters force panic only on single squadrons, this will ALWAYS be a disadvantage, regardless of the number of planes per squadron or aircraft durability) and 2) XP and credit formulas that force US CV players to take strike builds in order to see any kind of returns. The number of times I've been begging a friendly carrier for air cover, seeing a Japanese CV strike inbound only to find out that the guy is running strike with few, if any fighters to send is at this point, maddening. 

This needs a fix. Now. It needed a fix six months ago.

TLDR: I'm sick of this crap. US CV's need a significant buff, Japanese CV's need a significant nerf. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

WoW started screwing up carriers right from jump street when they made different sizes of squadrons, and then compounded it by adding Saipan, which is OP. Carriers all need to have similar squadron sizes, balanced squadrons, and equitable abilities across the boards, or just take the damn useless things out of the game altogether.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
31,449 battles

Ummm the real problem is that there are not many good CV drivers that use USN CV I do fine in mine but I much prefer IJN  CV. Pretty much most good players will use IJN so it makes it seem like US is really underpowered when an IJN vs US match happens mostly because the US CV driver is not a good player at all and only chose that ship because its Merica and has to be the best right? I can tell you when I play US they are OP very stronk planes DF dosent even bother there torp sqauds can strafe to infinity in them think its like 6 strafes you can pull vs IJN 2 lol you can wreck 24 planes in 1 strafe with US fighter easy cannot do that with IJN but they are so Underpowered RIGHT??? Mostly it is bad players that only want there nation to be the best that is wrong with US CV

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

See my sig for fixes applicable to USN carrier balance improvements. Keep it bumped.

Beta Testers
611 posts
2,887 battles

The problem with CVs is that great players absolutely destroy everything and bad players do absolutely nothing. Its just how the game design works, so a buff makes them op, a nerf kills them, and the status quo is hated.

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

I have both the United states and Japanese's aircraft carriers maxed out up to tier (7) seven and have not played them except for one tier (6) by accident and left the battle with ship in tack because I absolutely refuse to play CV's until they correct the problems with them ! ! ! ! !   

[T_D_F]
Beta Testers
173 posts
17,000 battles

Ummm the real problem is that there are not many good CV drivers that use USN CV I do fine in mine but I much prefer IJN  CV. Pretty much most good players will use IJN so it makes it seem like US is really underpowered when an IJN vs US match happens mostly because the US CV driver is not a good player at all and only chose that ship because its Merica and has to be the best right? I can tell you when I play US they are OP very stronk planes DF dosent even bother there torp sqauds can strafe to infinity in them think its like 6 strafes you can pull vs IJN 2 lol you can wreck 24 planes in 1 strafe with US fighter easy cannot do that with IJN but they are so Underpowered RIGHT??? Mostly it is bad players that only want there nation to be the best that is wrong with US CV

Yes, but why is that though? Why is it that a large number of skilled players show preference to Japanese CV's over US CV's? There is no question in my mind that skill bias compounds the problem when one ship is significantly weaker than its competitors. It contributes to widening the gap in statistics, and reinforces the "X is OP, Y is weaksauce" opinion in the minds of many players. I don't care about the fact that it exists, I care about why. 

The current lack of XP and credit rewards for the tasks that AS builds are capable of doing is a part of the problem. Hopefully a fix will be coming in 05.12. That may correct the issue with the painful grind for US CV's, but it does nothing to fix the underlying balance problem between the two carrier lines. It doesn't get at the issue of why US carriers are relatively easy to counter with AA, and significantly more balanced in terms of what non-carrier players can do against it when targeted. It similarly ignores the issue of why Japanese carriers in contrast, can largely ignore any counters to its strikes from non-carrier players,  and at tier 9 and 10 sit significantly higher than any other ship class in terms of average kills per game.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
31,449 battles

Its a painful grind for US CV ??????? Not really its fine AS is fine to get exp points with you have to kill all a lot of planes 20 30 planes is not much really, I usally get 40 or more when I play AS mod 50 60 is a decent game with only 1 CV in match.  Planes don't have much hit points compared to ships so its a lot of work for not much overall influence on the game but your mates will love you for keeping the sky clear. You must Time your bombers right to get max damage to ships by fires be observant as to when your enemy uses repair partys its a lot of work but CV isn't supposed to be easy its only that way when your opponent sucks . Strike mode for US CV is deadly has to matched with proper team though that is my biggest complaint is way MM is sometimes floods 1 side with AA and strike side has none at all so it really makes for unfair match unless enemy ignores you lol

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Seems to me the solution would be to make each load out always have fighters, db and tb. The load out then influences the number of planes in each squadron. Next have aa fire increase dispersion and decrease odds of a bomb/torp going right down the middle, in exchange for a decreased chance for ship aa to shoot planes down. So it serves as more of a defensive role as opposed to effectively knocking out a ships guns. Then fighters become the primary means of shooting down planes, and ship aa will mainly be shooting down planes only when the enemy planes are overhead for an extended period of time.

Edited by cometguy

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The best way to balance them would be to take all the code and models for them and hit that big delete key.

Not an option, stop trolling.

Sign in to follow this