Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sorys

Idea for a Modern Side of World of Warships

29 comments in this topic

[VHL]
Members
215 posts
3,211 battles

Hey all so I have come up with an idea for World of Warships to get a modern side to it. This does mean missiles and such but wait out for it and ill explain.
For Starters the ships will have to have seen service in 1995 onwards. This does mean good bye battleships and I'm sorry bb players but you can play other different kinds ofc :).

So the classes of ships we would have are as follows:
- Aircraft Carrier
- Cruisers/Frigates
- Destroyers
- Patrol boats/Mineboats (This would add a different element to the game forcing you to pay greater attention to your surroundings)

FAQ
So missiles how would they work?
Well basically you would need to lock on to the target for 5-10 seconds and use the current dispersion system to see whether or not it would hit. To balance it you could have dispersion at 250+ metres and have the cool downs on them set as well. You would also have to balance the damage as well to make the game fair of course.

What about the guns?
We already have gun systems in the game with most current ship having a 5' gun with the other ones being balanced as well as such. So you could have similar performing guns to those in game at the moment save for a few tweaks to velocity and reload.

So how about those mines though wouldn't they be OP?
Well you could balance these with hydroaccoustic search which show the position of them. Apart from that you would need to be within 3kms in a line of sight to avoid them. To stop them being spammed all the way across areas you would set a limit of how close they can be placed near other mines.

Crusiers and Frigates How you gonna fit them in together?
Well the idea is that frigates would be the lower tiers then cruisers higher up however with ships like the independence class LCS that could be slightly different. There are a lot of subclasses of things which means we could do splits in the lines.

What about the match maker how is it going to deal with these ships
Well this is the interesting bit. These ships would have their own matchmaker. They are very different to the other ships in game obviously meaning that they wouldn't really be able to compete with them. So for variety we would need to have at least 2 ship lines from at least 2 countries released if this was to go ahead to allow for interesting gameplay. 

What countries/tech trees could we have?
Well you could have the same as we have now thats for sure plus a few extras. Below is a few suggestions:
- Chinese Navy
- Japanese Navy (I know its a self defence navy but they have a fair few ships in there so it could definitely could work)
- Indian Navy
- Oceania Navy (This would be a combine of Australian, New Zealand, Papua New Guinean etc navies)
- South East Asia Navy (This would be a combine of Indonesian, Philippine, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc navies)
- British Navy
- United States Navy
- French Navy
- German Navy

So here would be a proposed ships for US. Im not gonna work out tiers cause that would be up for debate
Carriers:
- Kitty Hawk Class (CV-63)
- Enterprise Class (CVN-65)
- Kennedy Class (CV-67)
- Nimitz Class (CVN-68)
- Ford Class (CVN-78)
- Forrestal Class (CV-62)
Cruisers/Frigates/littoral combat ship
- Leahy class (cruiser)
- Belknap class (cruiser)
- California class (cruiser)
- Virginia class (cruiser)
- Ticonderoga class (cruiser) (This could be the tier 10)
- Garcia class (frigate)
- Knox class (frigate)
- Oliver Hazard Perry class (frigate)
- Freedom class (LCS)
- Independence class (LCS)
Destroyers
- Spruance class
- Charles F. Adams class
- Arleigh Burke class
- Zumwalt Class
- More can be added such as potential designs and subclasses
Patrol Boats/Mine Boats
- Depending on response to this post ill fill this out at a later date

If you have any further questions place them below and Ill answer them ASAP. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Beta Testers
964 posts
2,130 battles

As much as I like new ideas they need to sort their crap out right now before they try to do anything new. Plus I think that modern warships are hardly for ship to ship combat. Missile cruisers could essentially wipe each other off the map in one blow.

[VHL]
Members
215 posts
3,211 battles

As much as I like new ideas they need to sort their crap out right now before they try to do anything new. Plus I think that modern warships are hardly for ship to ship combat. Missile cruisers could essentially wipe each other off the map in one blow.

Well they would be balanced as such so that wouldn't occur. Hence own matchmaking

0 posts

Could be possible, but various changes would have to be made to make Modern Combat more entertaining, including shortened ranges, and less powerful missiles, since it wouldn't be fun to be near completely ruined by one ASM missile to the side. 

[VHL]
Members
215 posts
3,211 battles

Get the funding and make your own game, not going to be such ships here. 

For starters dont know the first thing about making games. Secondly would like it to be all in one place. Thirdly i think wargaming would make it better regardless of the past points

0 posts

For starters dont know the first thing about making games. Secondly would like it to be all in one place. Thirdly i think wargaming would make it better regardless of the past points

It would likely be a separate title, or exceptionally low priority since Wargaming is focused on adding in ships of the current timespan of 1906 to 1950s, Modern ships will be unlikely to come for several years, and even then, the chances of the two eras being a single game is fairly low.  

Beta Testers
3,012 posts
1,480 battles

It would likely be a separate title, or exceptionally low priority since Wargaming is focused on adding in ships of the current timespan of 1906 to 1950s, Modern ships will be unlikely to come for several years, and even then, the chances of the two eras being a single game is fairly low.  

Well we did get futuristic ships already with the space ships.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

A modern tank game was attempted vs WoT, it did not go well. And I fear a modern ship game would be more of the same.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,094 posts
30,874 battles

A modern tank game was attempted vs WoT, it did not go well. And I fear a modern ship game would be more of the same.

A Modern Naval Warfare game will be really looking at a radar screen, commands for naval aircraft, and of course lots and lots of:

qo4Dw1W.gif

It's just so exciting for a game to have action come down to firing surface-to-surface or surface-to-air missiles at targets beyond visual range, watching them travel on a radar screen.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

0 posts

Armored Warfare?, while its community/playerbase is quite small, it is an exceptionally refined game, that is quite enjoyable to play. 

A Modern Naval Warfare game will be really looking at a radar screen, commands for naval aircraft, and of course lots and lots of:

qo4Dw1W.gif

It's just so exciting for a game to have action come down to firing surface-to-surface or surface-to-air missiles at targets beyond visual range, watching them travel on a radar screen.

Actually, I can see a niche market opening up for that kind of game, and I'm quite sure such kinds of games already exist. 

[GAMMA]
Members
909 posts
18,341 battles

The game your describing, or at least something very close to it, have been around for years. The first example that comes to mind is called Harpoon. It was created as a table-top game back in the 1970s and a PC version was developed in the 1980s. It modeled a hypothetical naval conflict between NATO and the USSR. Very good game. Not quite as interactive/arcade style as World of Warships, but still a very good game. The only problem is that unless you play the game with very high time compression, its also a very slow game. And I will add that even at high time compression, its not as fun as World of Warships because there are so many more variables and complexities (for example, SAMs can shoot down anti-ship missiles and planes...).

The second game that comes to mind is called Red Storm Rising. In that game you control a USN attack submarine of one of several classes in one of several time periods during a hypothetical war between the NATO and the USSR. Again, good game, but I don't think its as enjoyable as World of Warships.

One final thought, though not related to the existing games similar to what you're asking about. I don't think your tier system of frigates, dds, and then cruisers would work well. I think you'd have better luck developing an actual tech tree with older ships being replaced by newer designs instead of simply basing it on type since different ships do different things. For example... USN Frigates are mainly ASW ships, DDs are GP/ASW platforms, Cruisers are mainly AA platforms... though they all have some general capabilities in all areas. As for what the tech trees might look like here are some candidates...

USN Frigate:

Garcia class -> Knox class -> Perry class -> Freedom class.

USN DD:

Forrest Sherman class -> Farragut class -> Charles F. Adams class -> Spruance class -> Arleigh Burke class.

Beta Testers
345 posts
4,996 battles

For starters dont know the first thing about making games.

Evidently. That's why your idea is garbage and will never be made.

Nobody wants modern combat because: 1) it's boring as fk, 2) all the ships are fugly and 3) they have no historic value (they kill pirate vessels, cool)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

So when you click "Research" on the Zumwalt, does it take 2+ years longer than it was supposed to to show up in your port, end up costing millions more XP and billions more credits than it was supposed to, and not have the stats that were listed when you clicked buy because the tech it was supposed to have doesn't exist yet? 

And for the LCS, does it randomly break? Now that's modern naval warfare! 

Ooh, and torps... Since everything carries ADCAP torps now, you getting hit by one torp = dead (and they go 100kts). Get hit by an ASM? Mission killed. Get hit by a pop gun? Probably mission killed because what's armor? Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Planes? What planes? CWIS anyone? 

It's a good and well thought out idea, but honestly modern naval warfare would be pretty boring, with a lot of instagibbing. That, and then you'd pretty much have to put subs in the game. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

Modern naval warfare is fighting what satelitest see. Most modern naval games are boring as crap because you never even see the enemy.

Members
982 posts
366 battles

You start the battle, and are then promptly destroyed by a missile fired from the enemy spawn 50km away.

A modern warship game would have no ships larger than a small cruiser, and all combat would take place using guided munitions from over the horizon.

Edited by supershutze

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

I'm sorry but you are asking for a completely different game WG would never even think about this they struggle to even work on bugs like the FPS bug that has been around since closed Beta. New age naval warfare isn't a thing btw the last real naval battles happened in WW2 before missiles could kill everything half way around the world and subs were patrolling everyone's coasts. Cv's would be useless because every ship has Surface to air missiles that could shoot anything down within miles as well as sea-wizzes. No cannons would ever miss their targets in a modern naval fight and they would always hit important parts of ships. Your talking about a game type that would last however long it took both teams to fire their first salvos and the game would end.

Edited by RockaholicRaven

[MIO]
Beta Testers
108 posts
14,253 battles

There are already a decent number of modern naval combat games on the market. Almost all of them are (real-time or turn-based) strategy games. Why? Well because the engage range of modern warships is so far that controlling a single ship is just down right boring. See a dot on the radar - fire missiles in the general direction - wait for missiles to hit - repeat. All happens without the enemy ship even in your visual range. How is that fun?

[VHL]
Members
215 posts
3,211 battles

Evidently. That's why your idea is garbage and will never be made.

Nobody wants modern combat because: 1) it's boring as fk, 2) all the ships are fugly and 3) they have no historic value (they kill pirate vessels, cool)

Im sorry but thats quite a rude response and this is a spitballing thread in other words completely hypothetical. 

You start the battle, and are then promptly destroyed by a missile fired from the enemy spawn 50km away.

A modern warship game would have no ships larger than a small cruiser, and all combat would take place using guided munitions from over the horizon.

I'm sorry but you are asking for a completely different game WG would never even think about this they struggle to even work on bugs like the FPS bug that has been around since closed Beta. New age naval warfare isn't a thing btw the last real naval battles happened in WW2 before missiles could kill everything half way around the world and subs were patrolling everyone's coasts. Cv's would be useless because every ship has Surface to air missiles that could shoot anything down within miles as well as sea-wizzes. No cannons would ever miss their targets in a modern naval fight and they would always hit important parts of ships. Your talking about a game type that would last however long it took both teams to fire their first salvos and the game would end.

This is where game balance would come into effect to stop the game being like this. For example you fire a missile add RNG as well as the ability to shoot down missiles while all being in real time like wows. This would mean players would need quick reactions and decision making.

[VHL]
Members
215 posts
3,211 battles

Would also like to point out that range in wows is scaled as well

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,094 posts
30,874 battles

Actually, I can see a niche market opening up for that kind of game, and I'm quite sure such kinds of games already exist. 

Those games do exist, and they are hardcore wargames, simulators.  You are literally looking at a radar screen or satellite map.  You are not sailing around in a warship shooting at things in visual range.  Modern naval weapons are beyond visual range.  Hell, the torpedoes can home in on a target and will end a ship with 1 strike.

Beta Testers
537 posts
2,603 battles

I don't see it working at all. Even WoWS has badly forced progression, and there's a lot less technological progression post-war. Not to mention USN would be the only nation with an actual tree rather than 1 or 2 sticks.

Also, lol LCS. A ship so bad even Pixar can't help but make jokes about it...

Sign in to follow this