Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Exciton8964

USN heavy cruisers lost their AP speciality?

32 comments in this topic

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles

From new QA https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/09/09/wows-qa-9th-september-2016/

The new bouncing mechanics quoted here is exactly what US heavy cruisers had before. Are they normalizing this feature for all AP shells now? This seems like an official statement that US heavy cruisers are not recommended for playing anymore.

Q: Can you clarify when an AP shell will bounce (ricochet).
A: We have decreased the angles that lead to bounces, which currently are:
Sure bounce: before (0-30 degrees), after (0-22.5 degrees)
A chance of bounce: before (30-45 degrees), after (22.5-30 degrees)
No chance of bounce: before (45-90 degrees), after (30-90 degrees)
Note that an HE shell will never bounce.

Edited by Exciton8964

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

Does not apply to USN heavy crusiers

Say what? It doesn't? Since when?

Also, you are awesome and I love your youtube channel.

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

well the only special thing about USN heavy cruisers is that they are quite best at its role, and that is to support friendly ships.

they can go 1-v-1 with other cruisers their AP is pretty much flat in trajectory

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

From new QA https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/09/09/wows-qa-9th-september-2016/

The new bouncing mechanics quoted here is exactly what US heavy cruisers had before. Are they normalizing this feature for all AP shells now? This seems like an official statement that US heavy cruisers are not recommended for playing anymore.

Q: Can you clarify when an AP shell will bounce (ricochet).
A: We have decreased the angles that lead to bounces, which currently are:
Sure bounce: before (0-30 degrees), after (0-22.5 degrees)
A chance of bounce: before (30-45 degrees), after (22.5-30 degrees)
No chance of bounce: before (45-90 degrees), after (30-90 degrees)
Note that an HE shell will never bounce.

uhh.. my Scharnhorst bounces off HE shells from any ship, even DDs, routinely.

Members
1,587 posts

The specialty of USN Cruisers is to suck.

St Louis, Phoenix, Omaha, Cleveland & Pensacola are all ready to disagree. 

It is only on the NA forum on which I see this really. Constantly thinking that the USN is bottom of the pack or so. Not all of them are, and for the most part, the line is good until you get to New Orleans, which is decidedly meh. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

uhh.. my Scharnhorst bounces off HE shells from any ship, even DDs, routinely.

No, HE doesn't bounce, instead it shatters against the hull -- functionally the same (no damage), but there are different ribbons for both if you have the detailed ribbon counter selected in game options.  HE's penetration is independent of armor angle (so it's all down to the armor thickness), and there are no bounce mechanics for it.  As for DDs, if it hits and does no damage, chances are that section of the ship is damage-saturated -- see iChase's Captain's Academy YouTube video on the subject.

I talk more about HE penetration in this thread, but briefly, HE for ships (other the German BBs) can penetrate up to 1/6 of its caliber in armor thickness; for German BBs, however, it's 1/4 of caliber in penetration for the HE shells, so the Scharnhorst's 280mm guns can penetrate up to 70mm of armor with HE (that's better than the Montana's 406mm HE shells, by the way).

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,615 battles

It is only on the NA forum on which I see this really. Constantly thinking that the USN is bottom of the pack or so. Not all of them are, and for the most part, the line is good until you get to New Orleans, which is decidedly meh.

Atlanta is a beast too and I've had a lot of success on the Indi, btw are you serious about the Pepsi Cola, that thing is an abomination. lol

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Omaha, and Pensacola are dead last in 1 week, 2 week, and all time stats. So yeah actually they do suck. HARD.  Phoenix isn't much better.  Only 2 you had right were St Louis and Cleveland.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Omaha, and Pensacola are dead last in 1 week, 2 week, and all time stats. So yeah actually they do suck. HARD.  Phoenix isn't much better.  Only 2 you had right were St Louis and Cleveland.

Not dead last 2 of 10 tiers!  Totally acceptable balance.  Even if those tiers are 3 and 6.

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Not dead last 2 of 10 tiers!  Totally acceptable balance.  Even if those tiers are 3 and 6.

Well tier 5 and 6 BBs, and tier 7 cruisers(oddly enough 2 week top ship was Atlanta then Flint) are USN, and tier 8 DD.

So we have 4 tiers in certain classes where USN comes out on top.  Sad part is 5 and 6 BB, is Texas and Arizona, 7 cruiser is Atlanta. 3 premiums on top for NA last 2 weeks. Only line ship USN ontop is Benson and that's for now. New IJN DD when it gets here could totally dethrone Benson.

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

USN Heavy Cruiser AP shells starting with Pensacola and onward have an autobounce angle of 67.5 degrees.

With the normalization changes they ended up getting a buff to their normalization.

EDIT: Nevermind that someone has a question, let us all take this time to post useless comments about how "muh USN CAs are garbage."

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

USN Heavy Cruiser AP shells starting with Pensacola and onward have an autobounce angle of 67.5 degrees.

With the normalization changes they ended up getting a buff to their normalization.

This.  For example, the Des Moines' normalization on its AP shells went from 4.4 to 7 degrees.

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

Oh crap are people finding out about USN ap power finally?

Yes let us keep it this way.

Please keep going full broadside to my Baltimore. The AP Mk.21 won't hurt that much.

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Well, least the AP works a tad better on USN ships. Which I never really had an issue with.

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

Yes let us keep it this way.

Please keep going full broadside to my Baltimore. The AP Mk.21 won't hurt that much.

I actually did that to a Baltimore in my Hipper last night.  5 citadels out of eight shots in one broadside.  Nuked him from about 2/3s health to dead.

I laughed for half an hour afterward.  Granted, it was nothing to do with the Baltimore as a ship (the Baltimore has problems, sure, but that would have happened to any cruiser in that position).  Still funny though.  Even saved the replay for a laugh.

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

The changes helped the USN cruisers.

They didn't get much of a bump stat wise from it though.

Once they move the New Orleans and Baltimore down a Tier with the reorganization of the tree I think they'll be pretty well in line with the other lines. 

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I actually did that to a Baltimore in my Hipper last night.  5 citadels out of eight shots in one broadside.  Nuked him from about 2/3s health to dead.

I laughed for half an hour afterward.  Granted, it was nothing to do with the Baltimore as a ship (the Baltimore has problems, sure, but that would have happened to any cruiser in that position).  Still funny though.  Even saved the replay for a laugh.

Oh the hipper. I nuked a Mogami from 15k with 4 citadels. Guy never even saw me and even said in chat "Where the hell were you! cause goddamn!"

Beta Testers
533 posts
10,674 battles

Oh the hipper. I nuked a Mogami from 15k with 4 citadels. Guy never even saw me and even said in chat "Where the hell were you! cause goddamn!"

I'm slowly turning my opinion around on the Hipper.  I did not get along with that ship at all when I ground my way through it, but it's starting to win me over a little.  Same way the Pensacola did, way back when.  Yeah, the Pensacola is a giant citadel hitbox with guns and masts pasted on top, and desperately needs to have its concealment buffed at the very least, but its guns?  Always got along with the Pensacola's guns just fine.

Members
1,587 posts

Atlanta is a beast too and I've had a lot of success on the Indi, btw are you serious about the Pepsi Cola, that thing is an abomination. lol

The only thing bad about Pepsi really is her detection. Otherwise her AP deletes other cruisers, from my experience.

Also, Myoko being OP does overshadow Pepsi a bit. 

The changes helped the USN cruisers.

They didn't get much of a bump stat wise from it though.

Once they move the New Orleans and Baltimore down a Tier with the reorganization of the tree I think they'll be pretty well in line with the other lines. 

They are not moving New Orleans down a tier. Baltimore has been mentioned being moved to tier 8, but I doubt it will go through. 

What would solve it is buffing New Orleans RoF to 4.5 or above, and giving her access to a spotter plane to increase her range. Which should cure two of the more common complaints about NO, her range, and her firepower not standing out in any particular way.

Baltimore is a little different. She has two armament options, one that is worse than New Orleans but has half decent shell arcs, and one that is very unsuited to the high tier meta. Hence these do need to be improved. Then the ship can be fairly effective at bullying cruisers with her tanky armour. 

Sign in to follow this