Pigeon_of_War

Ranked Season 5 is on it's Way!

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

326 posts in this topic

Time to bring the Fubuki and Benson!

Indeed. Atago, Tirpitz, North Carolina, Amagi, Fubuki, Lo Yang (maybe I'll have Bismarck by then). Will be fun. I have so many T8 ships I will have to try and see which ones will work best for me in Ranked this time (Nagato, Shchors and Blyskawica worked best for me in Season 4).

[Much later edit]: Bismarck is in and with a 15-pt captain. I'm ready.

Edited by alexf24

Yeah I need credits like no other right now. Gotta get German BBs, gotta save for Brit Bong CLs, gotta prep for new IJN DD drops, and gotta get back some of the keeper t8s I sold... OUCH!

Hmm 6 and 8, OK, would love to see more safe ranks toward the end. The up and down was very frustrating last season.

There's nothing wrong with that. When Season 1 came along I was new and did not have any high tier ships. No issues there. There will always be a new Ranked Season coming up, where you can continue going higher. Play the best ships you have, and do better in, at the tier you can play. That is all you need. Prizes are good at all tiers.

As for buying a higher tier ship so that you can play: bad idea. Just because you buy a Tirpitz (the most egregious example of this issue), it does not mean you are fit for Tier 8 battles yet. There are still many people around who should dock their shiny new Tirpitz in port for some time, until they have played at least 50 battles at the tier in a regular tree ship, and are comfortable with playing at that level.

Good advice; thanks.  I've been moving more or less evenly up the ranks in most of the lines simultanteously so my progress has been slow; I've got several lines up to T7 and T6 is probably my sweet spot right now so the ranks up to 16 should be right in my wheelhouse.  Next time we'll see about pushing higher.

Edited by ForgMaxtor

I'm hoping WG will clarify in the near future what the official 'safe' ranks will be.  I have a hard time believing they will stop after rank 16.

I'm hoping WG will clarify in the near future what the official 'safe' ranks will be.  I have a hard time believing they will stop after rank 16.

We'll know soon enough where the spots will be. The yo-yo drove me crazy last time. Will happen again. 

So the ranked battles of Saipans and Blyskawicas will not repeat.

Tier 6: We're talking Arizona, Independence, Cleveland, Ryuho,  Budyonny, Warspite, and Dunkerque for me.

Might wish to purchase Molotov, Bayern, and some DDs (need to look at them for tier 6).

Tier 8:  North Carolina, Atago, Tirpitz, and Kutuzov.  I might push for the Mogami.

So what's going on with Tier 5 Team Battles???  I'm running out of trained captains.

Will we still have the awful system where the top player by XP on the losing team doesn't lose a star?

Can you provide any news on the mechanics of the ranking system?

Following Season 4, there was supposed to be a big post discussing some of the critical feedback that was given to WG by the community, but I hadn't seen anything yet.

I'd just like to know if it will be different from Season 4.

Many thanks!

I am wondering this as well.

Oh darn, i was Looking Forward to Winning Ranked battles in my Trolanta. And just as I got a 17 pt. Commander in it too :(

Oh well, guess i'll have to bring in My German BBs. Bismark and Derpitz FTW :P

I wonder how long a Chapayev could last in a match? The new 2-minute radar cooldown could be a huge anti-Benson asset...

I might try it, at least in the "easy" tier-VIII ranks.

Need some information regarding the rank structure because the mechanics of advancment caused far more grief than the two tier system.

I'm looking forward to it, but concerned it's going to be the grating painful system of S4

PS: Please sell Anshan before S5 starts so use Lo Yang drivers can use our captain in both brackets ^^

Thanks for the update, Pigeon!

Any clues on how far back we will be set?  I made it to R14 in S3, and was set back to R18 in S4.  Made it to R11 in S4, so maybe I won't have to use a T6?

Tier 6 is always fun so will break out the Warspite or Buddy I am thinking, maybe the Cleveland.  Tier 8 I am not sure.  I have four Tier 8s I feel might be competitive there.  Atago, Tirpitz, Hipper, and Amagi......definitely not Mogami or New Olreans I am thinking.   Atago would be more competitive than Hipper, Amagi hits hard and better range, Tirpitz is brawler though.  Didn't do a lot of brawling last season.

I wonder how long a Chapayev could last in a match? The new 2-minute radar cooldown could be a huge anti-Benson asset...

I might try it, at least in the "easy" tier-VIII ranks.

This could be an interesting choice.  I have not gotten anything above the Buddy yet.  Chappy has great range can light some fires but will see a lot of Kutuzov's, and Atago's which seem to dominate as T-8 cruisers

Disagree. It is a competitive arena, much more so than PvP. You are usually hurting your team;s chances if you bring the lower tier in a 2-tier encounter (with few exceptions). Bringing a stock ship is not a good idea either. You should bring your best ship for the tier, with your best captain. Stock ships belong in PvE or PvP for grinding. Ranked, although it contributes to the grind, is not the place for it. Bring the best you've got and the ones you are good at. 

But some times there are ships a tier lower that by nature of how they are built/played are more effective than bringing the same tier ship.  Not to mention it sucks having to change what ships you are using for ranked each season, because of swapping captains or having limited ship slots etc..

At tier 6, expect a lot of Bayerns, possibly New Mexicos if Bayerns don't fare as well in ranked. Expect to see Clevelands for AA, and Budyonnys. Nurnbergs and Aobas don't seem to do as well. And expect World of Farraguts and Anshans; gunboat/'fleet' DDs do well in ranked. 

Probably a decent number of Fubukis too if the tech tree arrangement happens.

Also, in that case, the T8 bracket will probably become World of Downtiered Khabarovsk Akuzuki.

Hm.  Don't have anything T8 yet and I don't think I'll have time to buy and grind up anything in that tier by October.  I suppose I could buy a T8 premium but they's expensive.... I'll probably just plan to make a run to Rank 16 for the flags n' stuff and leave it at that.

Yep.  Same.   Now, I made it to level 11 in season 4.  Not sure where they'd start me out for season 5, but if it's less than lvl 16, I won't be able to participate, as I don't have a T8 ship.   Hmmm.....