iChase

Captain's Academy - Guides, Mechanics and More [Latest: Dispersion]

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

60 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

Welcome to the Captain's Academy series on YouTube, a series where I try and teach you everything you need to know about this game. So enjoy and I hope this helps improve your gameplay :D

Episode 38 - Dispersion - Horizontal dispersion, vertical dispersion and sigma

Episode 37 - Skill Builds for BB and CV

Spoiler

Episode 37 - Skill Builds for DD and CA

Episode 36 - How to Carrier

Episode 35 - How to Battleship

Episode 34 - How to Cruiser

Episode 33 - How to Torpedo

Episode 32 - Captains and Captain Skills

Episode 31 - How to Destroyer

Episode 30 - AP or HE?

Episode 29 - Damage Saturation or Why Did I Do 0 Damage

Episode 28 - Overpenetration Mechanics & Penetration Mechanics II [Corrected]

Episode 27 - Citadels, Armour and Penetration Mechanics

Episode 26 - The Armour Viewer

Episode 25 - Aiming & The Reticule

Episode 23 - Fighter Strafing/Barrage

Episode 21 - Manual Torpedo/Dive Bombing

Episode 19 - How to Aim???

Episode 18 - Training Rooms

Episode 17 - Which Consumables?

Episode 10 - Essential Controls

Edited by iChase

Excellent. I enjoy your method and delivery and wondered when you might address the CA videos as they are a bit old. Look forward to the content!

On a side note... I'm wondering how long it will take Acer to hand you one of those new gaming laptops they just announced for uh, testing purposes. It looks spectacular. 

I find your Captain's Academy series to be the best video guides available.  Please keep up the great work! :honoring:

Amazing video, Chase. I'm definitely bookmarking it to trot it out whenever a "why am I not hitting his citadel" thread pops up.

Aww thanks everybody :D appreciate the love and support. Now hopefully I can get this pinned :D

Aww thanks everybody :D appreciate the love and support. Now hopefully I can get this pinned :D

Totally agree!! this needs to be pinned!  Looking forward for the new vids!  Great job!

Now hopefully I can get this pinned :D

Send Niko a PM asking for a pin, I'm sure you'll get it done.

Hey everybody,

During the month of September - October I'll be pretty much revamping every Captain's Academy episode I've ever made along with as much new information that applies to the game we love today. I will be updating this thread with all the latest videos as I'm done with them. So without much hesitating, here we go! :D 

Episode 27 - Citadels, Armour and Penetration Mechanics

Can I just say, you are one of the best and least biased World Of Warships Youtubers there are, and your content is fantastic.

+1

I think you left out one thing.

Why you should not go completely bow-on to a ship that can lolpen your bow, and instead use the tanks method of facing 3'o'clock.

Great video.

One question though. do the USN cruisers 8 in shells still have an auto ricochet angle of 67.5 instead of 60 or has war gaming changed that?

Great video.

One question though. do the USN cruisers 8 in shells still have an auto ricochet angle of 67.5 instead of 60 or has war gaming changed that?

They do, I'll cover that in another video :)

Find out more about overpenetration mechanics and more on penetration mechanics in Episode 28 

Very nice work all around, Chase.  It's great to see a comprehensive explanation of armor penetration mechanics, since they differ so much from WoT.

Is there a place to see the air-drag variable for each ship?  Usually I use gamemodels3d, and that shows muzzle velocity, detonator time and shell weight, but not the air-drag.

I also think it's interesting that autobounce mechanics use a percentage per angle over 45 system to determine whether there's an overpen, with anything 60 or higher (after normalization) resulting in automatic bounce.  That is very different from WoT, which had 70 degree autobounce threshold, with any angle number under 70 creating a higher "effective armor" number that could be overcome by a sufficiently high penetration roll.  

In WoWS, there's a chance a steep angle below autobounce will still result in autobounce.

I wonder sometimes whether 60 degrees is too low a number for autobounce.   I thought 70 in WoT was just right.  Then again, I suppose all balance has been built around the 60 degree number in WoWS (with bow armor numbers and such), so I don't see it changing any time soon.

Reuploaded #28, made a few errors last time. Forgive me :(

What errors were corrected in the Reuploaded video?