Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KlendathuDrop

Wargaming Thesis: "Side Spin: Arcing shells AROUND islands"

1 comment in this topic

Members
296 posts
5,745 battles

I have less than 2k games as of this post. I am curious to know if others are aware of this mechanic, and what its salt value is:

There are times when I am parked behind a rock facing east in my Atlanta, and I have an enemy BB closing in from the other side of the rock traveling west. I park on the edge of the island and let my rear 127's hit him, then as he moves west I power up to to 1/4 speed going east, curving slightly by going out away from the rock and then easing to port (a steep quadractic curve). BB is essentially chasing me around the rock counter clockwise. The same can occur going clockwise, vice versa.

Due to the long bow of the BB and its low speed, I am able to hit him with shells before his turrets can round the corner. He has to lead his shots, but his lead point (A) is obscured by the rock. I have to lead my shots too, but my lead point (B) is NOT obscured. I manage my speed and my curve to keep his lead point (A) obscured. Go too fast and my own lead point (B) becomes obscured.  Go too slow and I get broadsided.  The better I micromanage speed and the slope of my sailing curve, the more rifles I can keep on target. Mind you during this whole time the reason I am not being shot is NOT because his turrets cannot rotate fast enough...rather, his line of sight to me is truly obstructed by the rock, and stays obscured. I cannot see his full profile, I can only see the tip of his bow and I know where the rest of him is.

I will toggle between zero knots to 1/4 to find that sweet spot.  By powering up and powering off I can get in a low knot range. As he closes the distance (if he is sailing at an angle toward the island), the envelop begins to close. (By envelope closing, I mean BB is moving from a parallel position to a more perpendicular one, lowering the surface area available to hit using this tactic.)  At a certain point I am forced power up to 1/2 or 3/4 speed as he rounds the corner, at which point I prioritize survival and high tail it around the rock at flank speed away from him. Gradually speeding up occurs while gradually flattening out my sailing curve.

As for ship selection: The higher my ship's shell arc, the further out my lead point (B) = the easier it is to employ this mechanic. Shell arc equals margin for error. Atlanta is notorious for long flight times. With enough arc, I feels like my shells curve and fly sideways into his superstructure. My 5 inch shells have a tendency to hang in the air and the BB drives right into them.  The best metaphor: It's like those professional ping-pong players who use massive topspin and side spin to curve the ball back on to the table, when the ball is already several feet to the right of the table.

Why this is relevant: Everyone knows Atlanta can shoot over low islands. That is still the best strategy. But as targets close distance, at some point the shell arc of the Atlanta cannot clear the top of the island anymore. I start with shooting OVER islands, then egress into shooting AROUND islands as I retreat. I have "David & Goliath-ed" a few BB's in this fashion, no torps.  As Forrest Gump would say, "Little bitty stingin' rain...rain that flew in sideways...."

Does this post have salt?  If yes, give me an up-vote using the green button.  Then post your own WG graduate thesis for peer review.

Edited by stubbornoctopus

Sign in to follow this