You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dimensional_Drift

Need help with Aoba

13 comments in this topic

Members
56 posts
506 battles

OK just got her as my first tier 6

Struggling with the choice between hydro and defensive AA

Which one should I choose, my Japanese cruiser senpais?

Plz help, sticking with defensive AA for now

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Depends. Normally I'd say hydro as CVs not common, but a lot of people playing CV right now because new BBs. So prob def AA

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

I went hydro and I really never get an opportunity to use it. I don't steam forward to destroyers much. But the problem is, when you really need hydro, you really need it. You always have some defensive AA. So, I would rather go with the Hydro as it gives me more in game options than just boosting what I already have.

Members
310 posts
2,647 battles

I ised to go def aa on all my cruisers but games lacking cv players forced me to check back on hydro.

Its just more applicable in a random battle gives you the edge on hidden dd's and an early warning system when fish are in the water.

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Hydro is very- and I mean VERY- situational. Defensive AA fire is much more useful in general than hydro at lower tiers since there's actually CV players, and to boot they haven't learned yet that sending their planes over or at cruisers is a bad idea. Just make sure to save it for torpedo bombers or lone fighter groups that are a big problem if they don't go away quickly. Even using it to save a friendly fighter group in range that's engaged with an enemy one is a wise use... well that's assuming your CV is competent of course.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

Just remember, if you choose defensive AA that IJN anti-air is pretty mediocre.  You won't be shooting many planes down with it, but it will help disrupt any torpedo drops on you.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I would do Defensive AA. Hydro is only useful in the perfect circumstances, whereas Def. AA is a lot more likely to be used. The mid tiers haven't been hit as hard as the high tiers with the lack of CVs, and at tier 6, a lot of CV players are still learning.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I'd take DF and not think twice about it.  Hydro is pretty situational, and IJN hydro is pretty meh in general.

Beta Testers
342 posts
7,654 battles

Hydro, CVs have gotten to be so rare that DF has gotten to be a wasted slot. Situational Hydro is better than an AA ability that gets used rarely. Aoba has some pretty good grouping on its shells, those 8" guns can put the hurt on DDs.

[B3ERS]
Beta Testers
813 posts
10,292 battles

I use the AA. The aoba needs help with AA, and Honestly if playing right 90% of the time you wont be close enough for Hydro to do much good.

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,591 battles

I take AA on every cruiser without even thinking twice about it. Even if there are no CV's in the game - using it to quickly down a scout plane is totally worth it.

Members
368 posts
1,545 battles

I run Def AA on it. Only used it a couple times but I can't say I've ever been in a situation that I'd wanted Hydro

The only ships I run hydro on are German cruisers. Even I'll probably be switching to Def AA once I get HIpper .