You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
aether_tech

Kaiser > Nikolai

30 comments in this topic

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

Nikolai is trash.

Kaiser is the true club.

It seems that the Tier 4 german BB, the Kaiser, has UTTERLY upended Tier 4 battles (unless there are some very good DD or CV players present.) It's hard to deal damage to, has guns that really penetrate (even an angled Nikolai apparently.) Meanwhile, its secondaries are vicious.

I'm going to put my Nikolai into retirement, and get me a Kaiser!

Edited by aether_tech

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

The reason the German BB's are doing so well is because other BB's rely on causing citadels to take out enemy bb's and since Germans in lower tiers are near impossible to citadel and reload faster well... not hard to figure out the outcome.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

The reason the German BB's are doing so well is because other BB's rely on causing citadels to take out enemy bb's and since Germans in lower tiers are near impossible to citadel and reload faster well... not hard to figure out the outcome.

I guess they can resell the Nikolai now, it's not overpowered (comparatively,) anymore.

Members
172 posts
2,946 battles

Also, part of it is the faster reload which is really killer. Lighter pen value is meaningly less for the 305mm guns, a 4 turert volley from Kaiser will slam a broadside Wyoming for 10-14k damage even at max range. It means fewer overpens on cruisers too, which is highly desirable. You can get super close to cruisers and simply punch them for a single volley kill. I wouldn't dare get within 5km of even a Myoko in my Iowa simply because of overpen mechanics, it'd be just awful. I like to have at least 8km, and 10km preferable to avoid overpen. Kaiser dodges this entirely. Then there is the accuracy factor. Neither Myogi nor Wyoming (and I've played both) have even near the same accuracy as the Kaiser. It looks almost as good as my Warspite at times. I remember especially Wyoming, and even now with my far better experience, I'd still try to get all my guns to bear because the accuracy is just awful. I mean, I dueled a Wyoming once in my Kaiser broadside to broadside (Ok, I was slightly angled....but I still had 4 turrets with LoS) and when he fired....twice, all but 3 shells of each salvo actually hit me. A couple in front of me, and couple behind. His aim was clearly fine, but his dispersion was shet. Meanwhile my 8 gun salvo lands 6 out of 8 shells and deals 11k damage. I simply out DPM'd him thanks to faster reload and landing more shells.

Edited by Heinrike_Prinz

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

I successfully broke through a crowd of four enemy battleships with the Kaiser and just putzed around between them.  I don't think they really knew what to do, their attention got split between me and the several ally ships still in front of them.  I don't think I would have survived nearly as long had I tried using a Myogi or Wyoming to do this.

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

Nikolai is trash.

Kaiser is the true club.

It seems that the Tier 4 german BB, the Kaiser, has UTTERLY upended Tier 4 battles (unless there are some very good DD or CV players present.) It's hard to deal damage to, has guns that really penetrate (even an angled Nikolai apparently.) Meanwhile, its secondaries are vicious.

Nikolai is hardly trash. Keep at mid range and use her(his?)amazing broadside barrage. I team up with a Yubari, whose entire focus is keeping DD's away from me. Then we switch and I play the Yubari. Not saying the T4 German BB is bad, just saying it's not as good as the Imperator Nikolai played to its strengths.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
44,993 battles

Nikolai is trash.

Kaiser is the true club.

wish I could trade for or buy your Nicholai.

I like Nassau and Konig just fine but hated Kaiser's turret layout. Also did not share the accuracy experience of others. 

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

Kaiser can either have pin-point accuracy or fly shells all around the target. Its really strange. I have had the most mixed results with the ship. I've done 100k in it and I've done  around 20k and got torped to death because I couldn't kill a charging Clemson. 4 or 5 salvos and I landed maybe 5 shells. My aim was good, it just that I dispersed around his ship every time. My secondaries eventually got him, but I burned/flooded to death.

Edited by JojoTheMongol

[SFT]
Members
317 posts
7,399 battles

Kaiser is a great ship, odd turret layout, but very good ship!

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,624 battles

I've actually experienced issues getting penetrations with the guns.  RNGesus has its way with them more often than not.

As to the rest, indeed.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Kaiser can either have pin-point accuracy or fly shells all around the target. Its really strange. I have had the most mixed results with the ship. I've done 100k in it and I've done  around 20k and got torped to death because I couldn't kill a charging Clemson. 4 or 5 salvos and I landed maybe 5 shells. My aim was good, it just that I dispersed around his ship every time. My secondaries eventually got him, but I burned/flooded to death.

You're not alone, I've been having about the same luck with her accuracy.  Haven't been able to play much since they came out though so hopefully I just had a bad RNG game

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
768 posts
25,149 battles

Nikolai is trash.

Kaiser is the true club.

I have no issue facing a tier 5 BB in my Nikolai. Gun placement is ideal. Turn radius is great. And there is no superstructure so it is difficult to start a fire on it. Great armor especially in the front. The only things sub-par are the range of the main guns and the AA defense. Speed is low but comparable with US BBs

Edited by Corsair_I

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

I tried a couple times to brawl with a Nikolai, but I haven't been able to do it yet. Should be a heck of a fight!

Well, hate to admit it, but was in my Nikolai and charged a Kaiser and got sunk. It wasn't his main guns that were the problem, it was his secondaries. My mistake was over confidence and charging in. Had I kept some range, away from his secondaries, I am confident I would have beaten him. How do I know this? Purely because earlier in the game we had traded shots at mid distance and Nikolai was clearly getting the better of the Kaiser. The lesson I learned was to not close.

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

Yes, think I ended up with 134K dmg and 18 plane kills in one battle with Kaiser, using my Tirp commander.  Been on the back burner to repurchase but yet may.  Kaiser, properly used, is quite possibly the best seal club out there.  Doesn't make Nikolai trash however.

[REVY]
Members
9,647 posts
7,316 battles

I guess they can resell the Nikolai now, it's not overpowered (comparatively,) anymore.

I'd be interested in owning an non-OP version, it's an interesting looking ship, and I was out of country when she was being sold.

Members
252 posts
1,781 battles

Kaiser's turrets turn too slowly for my liking. Great ship to fight other slower cruisers(like the St. Louis) or BBs.

Konig is better at tier 5. But that is the problem. Konig at tier 5 sees more powerful BBs.

Interestingly, the AP shell has a better CRH(ballistic shape) than the Bismarck's 38cm shell. (30.5cm L/4,9 vs 38cm L/4,4) Yet the 30.5cm has a higher drag constant.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Wait .. wait .. can we please have more posts like this? I'm hoping you guys can convince WG that Nikolai is not in fact OP (psst, she is, but shhhhh quiet now), so that maybe they'll put her up tor sale again :D

0 posts

Kaiser is a rather exceptional tier 4 battleship in comparison to the others, being a highly enjoyable ship with strong guns, and rapid reload for a battleship, as long as you can play battleships at a sufficient level, you will do rather well in the Kaiser with fairly consistent results. 

Members
86 posts
4,961 battles

Nikolai in my opinion is still way stronger than Kaiser for the simple fact that it can effectively angle and fire all its guns at same time.  Something kaiser's strange gun emplacement prevented it from doing. The Nikolai's gun layout fits perfectly into the angling meta play style for BB in the game, plus it's guns are deadly and accurate. 

[SOTW]
Members
354 posts
4,746 battles

Nikolai tends to do better against other ships, but I'll take a Kaiser any day against a Nikolai 1v1.  There really is a clear gap between the two when matched up.  One gets penned a lot and can take citadel hits.  Kaiser is nearly impossible to citadel even at close range, and is penned less frequently even when aiming properly at the higher casemate armor.  The stats have been saying this for awhile, and the gap has widened in the past couple weeks.