You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GhostSwordsman

Odd Graphical glitch/tearing(could use some help in narrowing down the issue)

15 comments in this topic

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

So, I've noticed that sometimes I'll get this weird graphical 'glitch' when I'm playing. It only ever happens when I have the camera over the guns, and I look up into the sky. It also happens infrequently on the low tier maps(weather seems to influence when/if it happens, as does positioning on the map)(I have not noticed it on mid/high tier maps, except for strait), but I also haven't been playing much mid/high tier games.

If I were to describe what's happening, it's almost like the game doesn't know what to render when the camera's PoV would be below the waterline(not that the camera can ever get below the water), and it freaks out and creates this:

NI4HHmM.jpg

Jl0Z6AF.jpg

zw5cDe9.jpg

Now, I suspect it's just the graphics card on my laptop getting old and possibly worn out. I've done everything I can think of(re-install of the client, client repair/check, checked to make sure graphics card drivers are up to date), except for booting the game in safe mode, as the only mods I run are skins, fog remover, and a rising sun flag mod.

However, I've only recently seen this start happening, and I recently did upgrade to W10(before the free upgrade ended), so I'm not sure if it's just something not playing nice with the new OS either. Also, I only started seeing this kind of thing in 0.5.9 and 0.5.10(if that means anything).

My system specs(please don't laugh, I know they're borderline, if not, potato level as I have to run everything on medium/low settings with a few more taxing settings off completely):

Asus vivobook laptop

W10 Home edition x64bit    x64 based processor

Intel core i5-4200U @ 1.6GHz  2.3GHz(it has a feature where it will automatically overclock itself to a max of 2.3GHz)

8Gb of RAM

Intel HD graphics 4400 (on board card)

Also, has anyone else seen anything like this. It's not likely, but still possible it could be a game issue(though I highly doubt it as I haven't seen any threads about this kind of thing yet).

I suspect this is a very, very bad thing, and could cause my laptop to go kaput. But I'm just not sure myself what the exact cause is. Any help is appreciated!

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Definitely looks like your integrated GPU is dying, Haven't seen that kind of artifacting since my GTX 560 was in meltdown mode.

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Definitely looks like your integrated GPU is dying, Haven't seen that kind of artifacting since my GTX 560 was in meltdown mode.

Well, that sucks. :(

Looks like it's a good time to start making space for a desktop so I can build one like I've wanted to for some time.

-Members-
1,117 posts
3,733 battles

That's most likely a video card problem. 

I really never liked playing on Intel's integrated cards. Most of the time, they're what's the real cause behind game issues.

Here's a few things that you can do:

1. Update your video card drivers.

2. Reset the preferences of WoWS (deleting the preferences.xml file).

3. Lowering down your graphics settings.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Well, that sucks. :(

Looks like it's a good time to start making space for a desktop so I can build one like I've wanted to for some time.

Hey, at least you have a machine that generates modern art

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

That's most likely a video card problem. 

I really never liked playing on Intel's integrated cards. Most of the time, they're what's the real cause behind game issues.

Here's a few things that you can do:

1. Update your video card drivers.

2. Reset the preferences of WoWS (deleting the preferences.xml file).

3. Lowering down your graphics settings.

I've already updated the drivers, and checked at least twice since they updated.

I've re-installed the game, so the preferences.xml was recreated in a new client.

I'm already pretty much playing on low settings. Amazingly, I can average around 30fps and still get a decent image. Nowhere near as good as actual gaming laptops/PCs, but decent enough that it at least looks like I'm fighting on water(minus reflections) in something that isn't super jagged and pixelated.

Yeah, I wish I could get a GPU in it that would run better than the integrated card, but I highly doubt it's possible with the hardware in the laptop right now. Not to mention it's impossible anyway because of the heat a separate GPU would produce on a laptop.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

If you look for back-to-school sales (especially on warehouse refurbished laptops and w/e) you can actually get some super-cheap but super-good laptops (Dell/HP/Gigabyte do these on occasion).

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Hey, at least you have a machine that generates modern art

I don't' need modern artTM I need ships. :P

If you look for back-to-school sales (especially on warehouse refurbished laptops and w/e) you can actually get some super-cheap but super-good laptops (Dell/HP/Gigabyte do these on occasion).

The thing is, I have enough money saved up to build a really good desktop. I just don't have the space for it at the moment. And with my laptop running games well enough(30fps), my motivation for making space is almost non-existent:D. Well, until now at least.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

Looking at that it could be a bad GPU... however... the HUD with the ammo/modules and even the minimap would be affected. In your images they are not.

Go into your Intel Graphics and Media Control panel -> 3D Tab -> Slide the preference to Performance and tick Application Optimal mode.

See if that helps.

Members
185 posts
4,358 battles

Happens to me too only when im on low ships and my camera angle is super low. Plus im on a brand new laptop so I realllllllly hope it's nothing on my end.

EDIT: But mine is never as extreme looking as yours seem to be.

Edited by ThinIcee

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Looking at that it could be a bad GPU... however... the HUD with the ammo/modules and even the minimap would be affected. In your images they are not.

Go into your Intel Graphics and Media Control panel -> 3D Tab -> Slide the preference to Performance and tick Application Optimal mode.

See if that helps.

Nope, still get the artifacting.

Guess my GPU is starting to go. Hmmm....

Anyone know of anything I could do to prolong it's life, that doesn't include stopping playing the game completely?

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Odd thing I just tried. I had had sea rendering quality set to medium. I just set it to low and the artifacting has gone away. I have yet to do more testing to see if that might have been the cause, but it did go away after changing the setting mid co-op battle(will post if the artifacting continues while not spectating with sea rendering quality set to low). Perhaps it is a driver issue?

Happens to me too only when im on low ships and my camera angle is super low. Plus im on a brand new laptop so I realllllllly hope it's nothing on my end.

EDIT: But mine is never as extreme looking as yours seem to be.

Btw, what GPU do you have in that new laptop? Is it also an Intel?

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Update: I think I'm leaning towards it being a driver issue. I played a couple more games in co-op(finished retraining my Minekaze captain) and didn't see the artifacting at all.

Members
185 posts
4,358 battles

Odd thing I just tried. I had had sea rendering quality set to medium. I just set it to low and the artifacting has gone away. I have yet to do more testing to see if that might have been the cause, but it did go away after changing the setting mid co-op battle(will post if the artifacting continues while not spectating with sea rendering quality set to low). Perhaps it is a driver issue?

Btw, what GPU do you have in that new laptop? Is it also an Intel?

Yea she's an Intel also.

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

Yea she's an Intel also.

Try setting your sea rendering quality to low(if you haven't already) and see if the artifacting goes away. I have not seen any artifacting like in my screenshots since I changed that setting, so I'm thinking it might actually be a driver or compatibility issue with Intel GPUs and the game.
  • Cool 1