You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bobcbob

Inevitable Pinkining and the Law of Averages

31 comments in this topic

[REDZ]
[REDZ]
Members
47 posts
26,752 battles

A combined total of 5,998 Random, Ranked and Co-op Battles and the dreaded day of "Pinkining" arrived with an explosive force of overwhelming devastation to a hapless and innocent Ally.

No amount of warning in Chat or wishful thinking on my part could prevent a tight and speedy spread of Torpedoes from abruptly ending his game. I fired them, i owned them, i made that bad decision and now i can humbly display the awful color of an ill-considered shot.  

Hundreds of thousands of Main, Secondary and Torpedo shots and (to my mind) the inevitable day arrived that nothing is perfect and the Law of Averages will eventually tap you on the shoulder and gently say "Gotcha".  Can't blame the Law of Averages too much, it was brought kicking and screaming into every Battle as an unwilling participant and subject to manipulation by my overall control.

I now slink off to some PvE to serve time for my transgression and i'll always consider that next shot with a tad higher degree of judgement. 

Maybe WoWs could have withheld the "Pinkining"  and presented it to me in celebration of my 6000th game...

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

And at the beginning of each match, I would type:

"I am a Team Killer and I am sorry".

They left me be after that.  Sometimes asked what happened.

Members
344 posts
3,713 battles

They should make a pink camo just for the occasion of the random pinking only available after the pinking for those x amount of penalty games. :red_button: 

Free of course

Edited by InventedThought

Members
909 posts

And at the beginning of each match, I would type:

"I am a Team Killer and I am sorry".

They left me be after that.  Sometimes asked what happened.

My standard line was "Oi, Brain! Wut are we doin' tonoight? NARF!"

• Cool 3

Members
344 posts
3,713 battles

My standard line was "Oi, Brain! Wut are we doin' tonoight? NARF!"

ROFLMAO!!!​ :honoring:

Edited by InventedThought

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
6,263 battles

Just remember, rubbing may be racing - but in WoWs you can't rub that pink off.  When you try, it just sticks on with more determination.

Beta Testers
268 posts
4,323 battles

I still have my pink cherry, but not near the amount of games you do. I actually torped and sank an eighth health friendly DD (on accident of course) about 2 or 3 months ago but didn't go pink. B

Alpha Tester
697 posts
8,544 battles

OP, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me a bit after my 5000th PvP game. It was also a first for me. I got greedy going after my third kill of the match. I knew if the friendly turned around in my direction he might get hit, I just didn't think he would. I shouldn't have taken the shot. I did end up getting the 3rd kill a bit later, then got two more. Getting a Kraken did ease the pain of turning pink. 

Has anyone noticed the phrasing in the after action report when you get a team kill? It's not "You are a team killer." It's You are team killer." I know it's probably the translation from Russian that leaves out the "a," but it seems more harsh without it. 

Members
310 posts
2,647 battles

A combined total of 5,998 Random, Ranked and Co-op Battles and the dreaded day of "Pinkining" arrived with an explosive force of overwhelming devastation to a hapless and innocent Ally.

No amount of warning in Chat or wishful thinking on my part could prevent a tight and speedy spread of Torpedoes from abruptly ending his game. I fired them, i owned them, i made that bad decision and now i can humbly display the awful color of an ill-considered shot.  

Hundreds of thousands of Main, Secondary and Torpedo shots and (to my mind) the inevitable day arrived that nothing is perfect and the Law of Averages will eventually tap you on the shoulder and gently say "Gotcha".  Can't blame the Law of Averages too much, it was brought kicking and screaming into every Battle as an unwilling participant and subject to manipulation by my overall control.

I now slink off to some PvE to serve time for my transgression and i'll always consider that next shot with a tad higher degree of judgement. 

Maybe WoWs could have withheld the "Pinkining"  and presented it to me in celebration of my 6000th game...

Such eloquence!

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Now I know what US cruisers' advantage is...they don't have torpedoes, and thus no accidental torpedo hits. Well, broadsides are still hazardous, but still better than accidental torpedoes that hit upwards to ten thousands of damage per unit.

...all pink give you is for you to YOLO for five matches without running into someone else on your team...and wait for all those five battles' results.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

That's why I laughed at all the people who lectured pinks when the new system first came out. "Haha," I'd think. "You'll be pink someday too."

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,115 battles

That's why I laughed at all the people who lectured pinks when the new system first came out. "Haha," I'd think. "You'll be pink someday too."

If you haven't turned pink, you aren't trying.

:playing:

[FKK]
Members
580 posts
29,047 battles

I am FKKarpeDiem, and I have been pink....

Hi KD!

I did not mean to torp the guy, but...it happened. It was my fault, no one else's. I got greedy looking for the kill.

If you go pink, OWN it. Pink Happens!

Edited by FKKarpeDiem

[COOP]
Members
812 posts
5,604 battles

The only thing worse than people lecturing others about being pink are those that complain about being pink. As noted, there are two types of players in this game, those that have been pink and those that will turn pink.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

I took the pink walk of shame at around 1500 games for an accidental torping , took me 2 hours to rub it off, and just my luck it happened the day the rules changed and somone took offence at my pinkness the very first game ... I was cursed at , threatened and even had shots fired across my bow by numerous wound up teammates .. I ignored and hid The rest of the game

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

[187]
[187]
Members
203 posts
25,139 battles

I turned pink yesterday too! 4000+ games under my belt and very careful with torps. I was capping early in my Udaloi and our Benson joined in

right as an enemy CA came out of smoke. I did a full salvo quick shot as he for some reason crossed my bow and ate them all. I mean literally

crossed so close I had to go hard to starboard to avoid. Still my torps so my fault and now I sail the ship of shame! I wish there was an attempt

to separate accidental from intentional but an experienced player sailing in the pink is a heads up for new players. I also have to say that since they

got aggressive on the "pinkining" I have seen a LOT less tk's.  I feel like pond scum but this game mechanic appears to work.

Sheepishly,

Bat

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

no one really cares about pink players. everyone knows how easy it is to be in a spot to turn pink.

6 to 8 months ago everyone would talk about whoever was the pink guy. now u see pinks multiple times a day. as well as multiple pinks on a team.

so far ive had 4 on a team. all ended being in top half of team and a win.

[187]
[187]
Members
203 posts
25,139 battles

no one really cares about pink players. everyone knows how easy it is to be in a spot to turn pink.

6 to 8 months ago everyone would talk about whoever was the pink guy. now u see pinks multiple times a day. as well as multiple pinks on a team.

This is why there needs to be a distinction between accidental and intentional. Used to be pink meant "watch out for this guy".

Bat

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I remain in the "Why is team damage even a thing, just turn it off" camp, but I have never been pink and I have no intention of changing that.

Considering killing one of your teammates "inevitable" is something that only crosses the minds of bad players who can't watch their fire.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I feel like pond scum but this game mechanic appears to work.

Shame is a very useful tool, unfortunately in this day in age where everyone gets a participation medal, shame is considered "intolerant".

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

Shame is a very useful tool, unfortunately in this day in age where everyone gets a participation medal, shame is considered "intolerant".

Partly that's because institutionalized shame is different from personal guilt. But let's not go down that path.

I managed to go pink last night in a late-game 2v2 when a friendly BB and I sandwiched the enemy carrier between us with the clock ticking down. I put torps and guns into the carrier's stern at about 6km and we sank him, but the BB apparently ignored the rest of the spread as it continued traveling another 12km or so in his general direction. He turned broadside into two of them at the last second and that was that for both the match and my days-since-last-pinking. I guess I could have not used torpedoes and just lost the match on points instead? Meh.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I remain in the "Why is team damage even a thing, just turn it off" camp, but I have never been pink and I have no intention of changing that.

Considering killing one of your teammates "inevitable" is something that only crosses the minds of bad players who can't watch their fire.

Or someone who only uses short range torps AND is 3km  or less from the intended target...If you are a IJN DD and you do lots of capping and/or use your torps for more than firing at enemies with no friendlies anywhere in your field of view (which probably happens less than 25% of the time for me) eventually your number will come up simply because your teammates are either busy with their own issues and wait to hear the torpedo alert or you are in a knife fight and don't see a friendly sailing close (also I play on a 15" monitor so my minimap is just that...mini and quite often the icon for my ship completely overlaps other ships near me that are just outside my field of vision...and mistakes happen and I own them).

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,115 battles

As I've said before, pink is the new black.