Trevzor

Things I learned in my first 200 games

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

87 posts in this topic

I just started playing WoW in late July and have completed about 300 PvP games.

1. In my experience switching between AP and HE in a BB to fight DDs is often a waste of time; by the time the HE is loaded, the DD is back to concealment and I then want to switch back to AP so I can fight the CAs and BBs that are now firing at me. I might start the game by loading HE if there are four or more DDs in the enemy fleet; a couple of times I would forget to later switch back to AP when fighting the CAs and BBs.

2. When running low Tier German CLs (Dresden,  Kolberg, or Karlsruhe), trying to lead the attack is a quick way to the bottom; this may be obvious to experienced players, but I learned it the hard way before I started reading the forum about German cruisers.  I have had some success supporting an allied CA or BB and helping it fight a red BB by setting it on fire multiple times with HE.

3. I learned that being in the SMS Nassau (or any old BB) fighting one-on-one against an experienced DD captain is extremely unpleasant.  In one game the DD must have stayed just out of detection range the whole time (never saw him on mini-map after his initial approach) and he sent spread after spread of torps at me as I tried to defend the base (I was only ship on-hand to defend). I eventually made a few mistakes and hit some torps. This contrasted greatly with another PvP game when my Nassau was attacked by three DDs (with presumably less experienced players) and I sank them all with (mostly) my main 11" guns while continuously turning and survived only to be sunk a minute later by an enemy BB (I was the only green ship in that area of the map).

4. Of the many things I have yet to learn is how to effectively run a DD. I torpedo a few ships once in a while with my Japanese DD, but usually get shelled to pieces in the process.

5. Patience in when to fire main BB guns (instead of always firing as soon as they reload). I have recently scored more citadel hits.

In general I am enjoying WoW quite a bit; except for that fact that the number of times I have been sunk exceed the total number of ships in the German High Seas Fleet!

You forgot to say that HE is 90% likely to cause fire and do 600% more damage to any ship that AP, since every shell from HE causes fire and ruins game play.  Then there is the fact that all cruisers are more powerful than any Battle ship as the spam stupid amounts of DPM that can not be match by the battleships due to the damn fire [edited].  Then there is all the torpedoes spammed by ships with a limitless supply....    In a nut shell this game is still a class "A" Failure at every level of play...  But it is Wargaming and NO ONE ever accused this company of having a good game or good programing.......

Yes, but that only applies in BBs. With cruisers, you should always shoot HE. 

​Not so. It depends a lot on the cruiser, the target ship, and the angle of the target ship. You have to know your ship and your target.

No.

It.

Is.

Not.

If you can get one shell from a battleship's AP to go the entire length of a destroyer, you might get a standard penetration.  But if that destroyer turns, even slightly... overpenetration.  Have the side?  Guaranteed overpenetration.  And overpenetrations from AP ALWAYS do less damage than standard penetrations from HE (damage saturation on a given ship section permitting).  Always.  Even from the Yamato.

And again, this doesn't take into account the likely module damage from HE (making further shots easier, due to disabling the destroyer).

If you have a destroyer pointed perfectly at you, and get a perfect shell hit, you might get one standard pen with battleship AP.  Maybe.  But any turns, any maneuvers, anything at all, and HE instantly becomes preferable for that target.  To say nothing of the fact that if you land multiple shells with a battleship salvo on a destroyer perpendicular to your ship, you might get one standard pen, but are entirely likely to get a couple of overpens if any other shells do hit, whereas with HE, they will all do standard damage regardless of the target's orientation.  And set fires.  And break the destroyer's engine.

An example.  The Yamato.  The Yamato fires at a fleeing destroyer that isn't manevering at all, just running straight away, and manages to score two hits smack on the stern, which is pretty good considering battleship dispersion and the narrowness and small size of the target.  With AP, two overpens will do 2960 damage.  If you do manage to get a standard penetration (and that's unlikely, given how small the target is and how perfectly you have to hit it, right in the stern at an angle that assures the shell will travel enough distance through the ship to both arm and detonate without overpenetrating), you will get more damage than you would with HE, as one standard penetration and one overpen (asking for two standard penetrations is getting into the realm of YouTube one-in-a-million shot compilations) will do 6413 damage.  But miss even slightly, and you do less damage.  With HE, two standard penetrations will do 4866 damage.  Guaranteed, no worrying about target orientation required.  And remember, this is assuming that the destroyer isn't dodging and turning and is perfectly perpendicular to the Yamato, and the Yamato manages two hits at such an angle that one of them is moving at a trajectory flat enough and straight enough to go the length of the target.  And now let's assume three hits.  One standard pen and two overpens with AP: 7983 damage (three overpens, which would be more likely, would only be 4440 damage).  Three standard penetrations with HE (much more likely, by the way): 7300 damage.  Already basically no difference in damage, and HE still has that fire and module damage chance.  Four shots now.  One standard AP pen, three overpens with AP: 9373 damage (and remember, that one standard penetration is pretty lucky -- four overpens is far more likely, which would only be 5920 damage).  Four standard hits with HE (again, assuming you hit with four shots on the stern of a completely-perpendicular fleeing destroyer): 9733.

More damage.  Consistent damage, not gambling on a lucky stern-to-bow full-lengthAP penetration on a tiny target, but rather being able to hit anywhere.  And the AP shots assume you don't hit something like a turret, which shows up as a "standard penetration" in the ribbon counter (assuming, you know, you actually penetrate the turret, which isn't really an issue shooting at a destroyer, admittedly) but has its own (undisplayed) HP pool separate from the main ship that is not subtracted from the ship's health as it's depleted.  This is one of the reasons you can shoot at a ship with AP and see "standard penetration" ribbons displayed but do no damage with that shot (well, to the ship's HP pool, anyway -- the turret's health drops, but you can't see that and it doesn't contribute towards sinking the ship, just disabling or destroying the turret).  HE shots, even if they do hit a turret on a destroyer, will probably still do HP damage (splash radius).  And once again, if you do hit with HE, the destroyer's engine is likely damaged, probably the rudder too, maybe some of the weapons, and there will almost certainly be one fire, which means, if that destroyer's damage control consumable is on cooldown, you've just increased that destroyer's surface detection range by several kilometers for about an extra minute.  Which means you (or someone else on your team), will probably get another shot, or two, at that destroyer.

Lol. I was running my Ishizuchi yesterday and was getting standard pens on destroyers very regularly. I get them all the time in my Tirpitz, I get them all the time in my North Carolina, I get them all the time in my Montana, and I get them all the time in my Yamato. 

I'm aware of how module damage works, but I'm also aware that when three hits does 7k damage and it shows a standard pen, I didn't do module damage. 

I've done enough battleship play to see the difference in damage between HE and AP on destroyers. If HE did more damage for me, I would use HE. 

Edited by SergeantHop

I'll join this whopping huge AP vs HE at DDs discussion.

I just wish to point out that if a DD is broadside, hitting him with AP underwater can result in normal pens. The shell is slowed enough for the side armor to activate the fuse, it seems, and certainly it's slow enough that it explodes inside the ship.

I've deleted Bensons that way in my NC. Such salt as they produced is sufficient for many French fries.:popcorn:

Things I learned in my first 200 battles:

You can turn around in between an enemy BBs volleys, even when in a BB yourself.

NO STRAIGHT LINE DRIVING IN BBS.

Some people are really dumb. Light them on fire and leave; they won't repair. Fire torpedoes with enemy planes overhead, they won't dodge.:amazed:

--IronDuke

I'll weigh in on the 'great AP debate' if only because i got reamed for it in a match.

Basically, i had to make a call to keep the AP i had loaded vs an island hugging DD or load up HE. With no guarantees he wouldn't pop back into LOS, i kept the AP. He did and my Kongo unloaded all 4 Turrets on him. Not everything hit, but i erased 2/3rds of his hp from his broadside.

AP can work against DDs. Recommended? Possibly not, but fire whats loaded anyway.

I'm not sure if you guys believe this, but I believe that learning to aim is the most important skill in this game.

Aiming allows you to deal more damage.

Dealing more damage allows you to sink ships.

Sinking ships allows you to capture objectives.

Capturing objectives allows you to win games.

Those strategies you see unicums and Youtubers do all rely on being able to hit your target. Reading a minimap, predicting movements, and putting your ship in advantageous positions will do you and your team no good if you can't deliver the damaging blows.

What I learned, just because you found you could hunt DDs in a T-3 German cruiser (got 3 in a row one game) doesn't mean you can go back to the USN T-6, and T-7 cruisers and do the same thing.  No, it definitely doesn't mean that.  Ohh the pain!  So much pain! 

Lone ships that go aggressive ( or yolo) die almost every time.

Well organized aggression wins most times.

So many times a wave of our ships will be pushing a flank, and at the first sign of the enemy, most turn around and run, where they should push....  I can't get why so many try to survive and end up losing versus fighting it out and losing, or ... maybe, just maybe, winning

Is it the aggressive team that wins? At least the well organized ones seem to.. :)

Lone ships that go aggressive ( or yolo) die almost every time.

Well organized aggression wins most times.

So many times a wave of our ships will be pushing a flank, and at the first sign of the enemy, most turn around and run, where they should push....  I can't get why so many try to survive and end up losing versus fighting it out and losing, or ... maybe, just maybe, winning

Is it the aggressive team that wins? At least the well organized ones seem to.. :)

There's nothing like a hard core push when you just keep rolling artillery forward the whole game.

Heyo everybody.

As some of you may know, I have just moved from WoT: PC over here to WoWs. Prior to that move I had only about 100 games total played in WoWs ranging all the way back to internal alpha testing. Despite that, I was basically a brand new player in World of Warships. Because of this, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about the things I have learned in my "First 200 matches" in World of Warships. So here we go...

1. Physics is operating on an entirely different level then in WoT

I know this sounds like a dumb statement, but Newton's first law is far more prevalent than it is in WoT. Ships are HUGE and HEAVY and water does not provide a lot of friction compared to something like the ground. Getting comfortable maneuvering is not something that comes quickly and varies dramatically from ship to ship. If I could start all over again, I would definitely practice just driving the ship in PvE.

2. Hitting your target is more science than art

Do you know how your static reticle works? I didn't for a solid 40 games. It took me watching

to really get an idea of what it is I am supposed to do to be successful in hitting ships. Granted, dispersion means that shells won't always hit, but if I am landing around the center of the ship and shells splash on both port and starboard sides, I am doing ok with my aiming. For those who are wondering, I use static reticle type 7 because i do actually like the different lines to help my predicting of hitting angled ships (sailing towards or away from me.)

3. What the heck is a citadel? 

Honestly, my biggest pet peeve in any game is a highly important aspect that just isn't explained and this is it for me. It took Quemapueblos a solid 15 minutes to explain to me where a citadel is, why it is important for a ship, and how you can hit them in game. He then forgot to tell me for a few more days that Destroyers flat don't have a citadel, so don't bother with trying to hit it with them. The short version? Aim for the waterline between the front and rear turrets. If there aren't front and rear turrets, then aim for the waterline under the superstructure. Fire your shells and initialize hope.

4. Don't think of armor penetration based on gun size, think of it based on tier

This one is a little more nebulous, but I have found that it helps me fairly well when firing AP. Basically, whatever ship I am in I should be able to penetrate with AP shells ships on this scale: Battleships 2, Cruisers 1, Destroyers 0. Meaning that if I am driving a Tier 6 Cruiser (a 1) then I should be able to penetrate Tier 6 Cruisers, Battleships up to Tier 5, and Destroyers up to Tier 7. If I was driving a Battleship at Tier 7 (a 2) I should be able to penetrate Battleships at tier 7, Cruisers at Tier 8, and Destroyers at Tier 9.

The reason I think of it in this way is because the armor models for World of Warships are super complex. It's not just an armor box that floats, there are other armored compartments inside that you need to penetrate to cause damage as well. On top of that, the citadel is the most armored part of most ships, so a flat number for penetration won't make sense. If you haven't already, read through the wiki to get a better idea of ballistics and how they work in WoWs.

5. You live by the minimap, you die by the minimap

To date, I don't think I have played a game where the information on the minimap is as crucial to your success than it is in World of Warships. Be it the ranges at which your ship will be spotted by ships, the range you are spotted by planes, or the range on all of your armaments there is tons of simple crucial data for you to utilize. On top of that, understanding how the battle is going to unfold is exactly what the minimap is used for. Question: How many times did you see a red plane indicator on your HUD only to have a full squadron of torpedo bombers wreck your match with a full spread of balance lances? I have plenty of times. Every one of those times, I wasn't watching the mini map. How about getting whacked by a Destroyer that came out of no where after about the halfway point of the match? It good guessing that they've been spotted once before. If you haven't done it yet, while you are in a match press the CTRL key and use your mouse to click the gears over the top right of the minimap. Check all of the boxes and revel in the amount of information that the map can give you!

I could go on, but this is already shaping up to be a book. Maybe I will do a second installment for my 300th game.

What are some of the things that you learned early on in your Warships career?

I especially like the part about the minimap!  I think that is one thing many players seem to neglect.  When there are three caps, and you see 90% of your teammates moving towards A, don't even consider going to C.  Try to stay within firing range of the bulk of your team (you will be better protected, and so will your teammates.)  And if the enemy team has divided their forces, even by just a small handful of ships, your team can quickly reduce the enemy's odds by reducing their numbers.  

I'm no expert, but I've played along side some fantastic players.  I try to learn from them when I can.  Plus it's a great feeling when the whole team is on fire!

the game is thrilling and exciting the only thing that really ruins it there are these torpedoes.   you are doing fine and all of a sudden you are being blasting by about dozen of these things... game over.

the game is thrilling and exciting the only thing that really ruins it there are these torpedoes.   you are doing fine and all of a sudden you are being blasting by about dozen of these things... game over.

Don't sail in a straight line then. Problem solved.

oh and can you take out this annoying 'confirmation' when you wan to exit to port or leave the game??  or at least have an option to disable

I think that the whole "don't sail in a straight line" thing has a few caveats. Firstly, you absolutely have to pay attention to the mini-map. If a DD is breifly spotted around a nearby island, wait a few seconds, then engage WASD hacks. That way, the DD will fire their torps towards you and miss, as you'll have moved since. Dodging torps is as much about predicting enemy fire, as it is being unpredictable yourself.

As for things I learned in the first 200 matches,

1. Don't get spotted near any tier three or four cruisers in a DD.

2. Figuring out when to advance and retreat.

3. NEVER, EVER SHOW BROADSIDE IN A CA (if you can avoid it). That's just asking for pain.       

I start the game then click play and get this message.. then it closes.. pleaseeeeeeeeeeee help

I turned up the graphics to high and now game wont start. message error.

Message; MF_Assert_DevFailed BW;;Render:sucess(status) D;\buildAgent\checkoutDir\client\source\lib\moo\render_context.cpp(3813

I have resintalled the game 3 times and still same error and it just crashes.. please help

Things I've learned.

Most players don't pay attention to the mini map

Most players don't pay attention to anything outside their current view period.

Most players don't know what an intercept course is never mind how to use it.

(Hint, it's not pointing your ships nose at the enemy ship)

Most people follow the lemming train to the point that they can get picked off by one or two players following the lemming train.

Edited by Pogo68

Ya it took me about 100 games to realize keeping back and letting the BB's engage first pays dividends. I get called a coward a lot but they shut up when my CL gets its 3rd kill.

If there's one skill that can really help your team out, it's learning how to fight and hit DD's. For me at least, there seems to be a correlation between friendly DD survival and winning. Now I'm not necessarily blaming my teammates here, since it's on me (especially if I'm in a cruiser) to ensure our DD's outlast their DD's.

Yes, taking out DD's does significantly increase the odds of you winning.

Yes, DD's are fast, maneuverable, and slippery, and killing them isn't easy. Well parallel parking isn't easy, but it's a really useful skill to have in driving a car. It's one of those things that's hard to learn, but will greatly help your team (and your win rate) out once you've mastered it.

1 you will learn that Win Rate means nothing in this game.  The games learning curve is so easy it attracts a less skilled player base that wants a game that forces them into a stressful situation once every 5 minutes, not every 5 seconds as in WoT and WoWP.   Half the folks on your team do not care about winning.

2 once you realize this quickly you will notice your ability to win a game is improved 5-10% as you become blue upward to unicum.  That is all the best of players can really manage on average.

3 once you realize you can division with 2 other players you can improve your winrate by 30% and achieve ridiculous winrate %'s because of my point #1

Besides the stat stuff you will realized that there are far too many torpedos in this game and that you realize you could rage kill a carrier player with your bare hands w/o conscience getting in the way lol.

At least low tier, 6 or lower,  what I am doing is pretending im alone.  Do NOT rely on anyone or anything to provide "backup".  It will not happen.  Half your team are players want to float around an shoot stuff from a zone wall,  if they shoot at all.  

This is my experience so far closing in on 400 games played.  Hope to god higher tiers get better but I doubt it.

Just play like you are alone.  Any help will be appreciated but not at all expected.   Do this an you will not be put off by the lack of competitive urgency this game lacks in matches.

I don't know how many battles I have in WoWS, and I won't look because I'm lazy.

What I've learned (over all my time) is:

• Japansese CA always have torps.
  • Most German CA have torps.
  • British cruisers are the bane of the Pepsi.
  • Don't ever, under any circumstances, YOLO charge a tier VII or higher German BB. Those secondaries will [edited] you. (For those wondering, the Scharnhorst/Gniesenau have about 7.5 km range, Bismarck/Tirpitz and higher is 10.)
  • British cruisers are citadels waiting to happen.
  • the St. Louis sexually identifies as a battleship and is OPAF for it's tier, ESPECIALLY in 3-man divisions.
  • American tier IV-V cruisers are fat destroyers.
  • Smoke-screens are evil (and torpedo magnets). Stay away.
  • American Cruisers above tier IV don't get attacked by CV's (I haven't been attacked by one in forever. It's so nice!:great:)
  • Always point the bow/stern towards the biggest guns.
  • With 155's, it's rarely worthwhile to load AP, I just spam HE.
  • always change course and speed every now and then when sailing open waters with DD lurking about. If you see a smoke screen, turn. 
  • Don't gunfight an American Destroyer at close range in another destroyer. The Russians are also good at it. 
  • Japanese DD are ninja and have stupid torpedo range.
  • Ramming speed is hard to do, and is kind of a d*ck move. You will receive a lot of salt. 
  • Your reload in a life or death point-blank duel will always be a half-second too late to save you.
  • BB full broadside citadel one-shots are the most glorious things on the planet, right next to full-health ammo-racking in WoT.

Gee, I covered a lot. Doesn't say much for my stats, does it? I still play like a potato some games. But, hey! We're all human at the end of the day. Hope some of this cheeky advice helps someone. 

One other thing is leave the rage at the door, close the door and have fun.

This!  +1