Trevzor

Things I learned in my first 200 games

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

87 posts in this topic

Heyo everybody.

As some of you may know, I have just moved from WoT: PC over here to WoWs. Prior to that move I had only about 100 games total played in WoWs ranging all the way back to internal alpha testing. Despite that, I was basically a brand new player in World of Warships. Because of this, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about the things I have learned in my "First 200 matches" in World of Warships. So here we go...

1. Physics is operating on an entirely different level then in WoT

I know this sounds like a dumb statement, but Newton's first law is far more prevalent than it is in WoT. Ships are HUGE and HEAVY and water does not provide a lot of friction compared to something like the ground. Getting comfortable maneuvering is not something that comes quickly and varies dramatically from ship to ship. If I could start all over again, I would definitely practice just driving the ship in PvE.

2. Hitting your target is more science than art

Do you know how your static reticle works? I didn't for a solid 40 games. It took me watching

to really get an idea of what it is I am supposed to do to be successful in hitting ships. Granted, dispersion means that shells won't always hit, but if I am landing around the center of the ship and shells splash on both port and starboard sides, I am doing ok with my aiming. For those who are wondering, I use static reticle type 7 because i do actually like the different lines to help my predicting of hitting angled ships (sailing towards or away from me.)

3. What the heck is a citadel? 

Honestly, my biggest pet peeve in any game is a highly important aspect that just isn't explained and this is it for me. It took Quemapueblos a solid 15 minutes to explain to me where a citadel is, why it is important for a ship, and how you can hit them in game. He then forgot to tell me for a few more days that Destroyers flat don't have a citadel, so don't bother with trying to hit it with them. The short version? Aim for the waterline between the front and rear turrets. If there aren't front and rear turrets, then aim for the waterline under the superstructure. Fire your shells and initialize hope.

4. Don't think of armor penetration based on gun size, think of it based on tier

This one is a little more nebulous, but I have found that it helps me fairly well when firing AP. Basically, whatever ship I am in I should be able to penetrate with AP shells ships on this scale: Battleships 2, Cruisers 1, Destroyers 0. Meaning that if I am driving a Tier 6 Cruiser (a 1) then I should be able to penetrate Tier 6 Cruisers, Battleships up to Tier 5, and Destroyers up to Tier 7. If I was driving a Battleship at Tier 7 (a 2) I should be able to penetrate Battleships at tier 7, Cruisers at Tier 8, and Destroyers at Tier 9.

The reason I think of it in this way is because the armor models for World of Warships are super complex. It's not just an armor box that floats, there are other armored compartments inside that you need to penetrate to cause damage as well. On top of that, the citadel is the most armored part of most ships, so a flat number for penetration won't make sense. If you haven't already, read through the wiki to get a better idea of ballistics and how they work in WoWs.

5. You live by the minimap, you die by the minimap

To date, I don't think I have played a game where the information on the minimap is as crucial to your success than it is in World of Warships. Be it the ranges at which your ship will be spotted by ships, the range you are spotted by planes, or the range on all of your armaments there is tons of simple crucial data for you to utilize. On top of that, understanding how the battle is going to unfold is exactly what the minimap is used for. Question: How many times did you see a red plane indicator on your HUD only to have a full squadron of torpedo bombers wreck your match with a full spread of balance lances? I have plenty of times. Every one of those times, I wasn't watching the mini map. How about getting whacked by a Destroyer that came out of no where after about the halfway point of the match? It good guessing that they've been spotted once before. If you haven't done it yet, while you are in a match press the CTRL key and use your mouse to click the gears over the top right of the minimap. Check all of the boxes and revel in the amount of information that the map can give you!

I could go on, but this is already shaping up to be a book. Maybe I will do a second installment for my 300th game.

What are some of the things that you learned early on in your Warships career?

don't show broadside:hiding:

Uh... you're shooting armor-piercing at destroyers?  By choice, and not just to clear your gun barrels so you can load high explosive?

No.  Just no.

Destroyers (the Khabarovsk aside) have no armor.  None.  There's no armor to pierce, let alone a citadel to penetrate.  You will get overpenetrations with destroyer-caliber guns on destroyers, let alone anything bigger.

It doesn't have anything to do with tier.  It has to do with how much armor you have to pierce, what the angle on target is, whether or not your guns are large enough to overmatch the armor of a target (this generally applies to battleship guns only), and your shells' velocity and penetration (the Des Moines, for example, has poor shell velocity but high armor penetration on its AP).  Compare the two tier 6 Russian cruisers, for example -- the Budyonny has up to 140mm of armor to pierce, while the Molotov only has 70mm at best.  And they're the same nationality, same class, and same tier.  And one has double the armor of the other.

Tiers do not imply increasing armor (the Cleveland is tougher than the Pensacola, for example).  You have to know what your weapons can do, and what you're shooting at, and where to shoot that target for maximum effect.

And use high explosive on destroyers for crying out loud.

Sorry about this but I need a little help, I bought a premium ship but they send me a conformation email but I forgot the password to the email, will the premium ship still be in my account even though I didn't look at the email? PLS HELP ME THANKS

Free XP past the Karl

Go up the Russian and IJN lines first because Russia STRONK and IJN would have won the war if not for OP American factories

I did not know what a citadel was for my first 50 battles. This was due to me always firing HE and never switching to AP. When I did start using AP and started getting some lucky citadels, I just though hitting the superstructure would give me the citadel ribbon. However later found out that was not the case.

Uh... you're shooting armor-piercing at destroyers?  By choice, and not just to clear your gun barrels so you can load high explosive?

No.  Just no.

Destroyers (the Khabarovsk aside) have no armor.  None.  There's no armor to pierce, let alone a citadel to penetrate.  You will get overpenetrations with destroyer-caliber guns on destroyers, let alone anything bigger.

It doesn't have anything to do with tier.  It has to do with how much armor you have to pierce, what the angle on target is, whether or not your guns are large enough to overmatch the armor of a target (this generally applies to battleship guns only), and your shells' velocity and penetration (the Des Moines, for example, has poor shell velocity but high armor penetration on its AP).  Compare the two tier 6 Russian cruisers, for example -- the Budyonny has up to 140mm of armor to pierce, while the Molotov only has 70mm at best.  And they're the same nationality, same class, and same tier.  And one has double the armor of the other.

Tiers do not imply increasing armor (the Cleveland is tougher than the Pensacola, for example).  You have to know what your weapons can do, and what you're shooting at, and where to shoot that target for maximum effect.

Sometimes you get higher damaging salvos from using AP rather than HE on a destroyer. While HE explodes on the first thing it hits, like the ship and modules, AP will instead go through the modules and ship. This is especially useful if a module is already low on HP resulting in a low damage roll from HE. I'm not saying AP is always more effective because it isn't. Just use whatever is loaded during the meantime and switch over to the better suited shell type.

No.  Just no.

1. As a new player, it makes more sense to learn the rules of thumb first, then the exceptions. It's more informationally efficient.

2. BBs can shoot AP at DDs just fine, particularly at tiers 6+. Destroyers have citadel boxes that can't be overpenned (they give standard pen damage rather than citadel, which is still 20-30% of the ship's HP).

Sorry about this but I need a little help, I bought a premium ship but they send me a conformation email but I forgot the password to the email, will the premium ship still be in my account even though I didn't look at the email? PLS HELP ME THANKS

Once you buy it for your account, you get it in port. Confirmation email is just a way of showing that you indeed bought it at x time with x vendor.. etc.

I'd definitely recover your email password though..

4. Don't think of armor penetration based on gun size, think of it based on tier

This one is a little more nebulous, but I have found that it helps me fairly well when firing AP. Basically, whatever ship I am in I should be able to penetrate with AP shells ships on this scale: Battleships 2, Cruisers 1, Destroyers 0. Meaning that if I am driving a Tier 6 Cruiser (a 1) then I should be able to penetrate Tier 6 Cruisers, Battleships up to Tier 5, and Destroyers up to Tier 7. If I was driving a Battleship at Tier 7 (a 2) I should be able to penetrate Battleships at tier 7, Cruisers at Tier 8, and Destroyers at Tier 9.

I wouldn't necessarily say that is correct. As MeetTheBadger said, armor can increase and decrease depending on tier with the best example being the Cleveland to the Pensacola. The Cleveland is known for being able to bounce 14" BB shells with ease if angled. The Pensacola can be penetrated by most DDs without much issue.

Caliber does have a large role to play in penetration. The notable examples are Yamato vs. literally everything and most battleships vs. a cruiser within standard MM due to the infamous overmatch mechanic. In addition, U.S. ships that have the SHS (Cleveland, Baltimore, Des Moines, North Carolina, IowaMontana) have, for the most part, above average penetration compared to guns of the same caliber. Conversely, German cruisers have some of the worst AP penetration tier for tier. I would say that your rule should be revised to BBs penetrate battleships one tier higher, cruisers two tiers higher, and destroyers of any tier. Cruisers? Depends on what you are using, what you are targetting, and what range you are at. Don't even bother loading AP in destroyers*.

*Unless it is a Russian destroyer or you are really, REALLY, close to whatever you are shooting at**.

**Rule subject to be broken if you have a good understanding of what your ship can and cannot do.

One of the first things i learned: Don't play the Kolberg!! Skip past it for your mental health. 

What I have learned?

Teamplay is a necessity and not an option (so is communication).

The broadest side of a ship, is the toughest but also the easiest to pen.

Stealth and maneuverability rule in this game over size and armour.

A well placed shot can change any engagement.

A skilled captain does wonders even on subpar ships.

The HP pool is just an indicator, but armour can mean everything.

Angling is love, angling is life.

The seas are ruled by rocks, papers, scissors, however, if you know what you are doing and how to exploit a ships weaknesses, it no longer applies.

Fires are a pain in the back, so are HE spammers.

Deception and misdirection do wonders if you can make the enemy fire and make them miss.

Torps are a HUGE advantage against any ship.

For now, that is pretty much it, summed up in a few words. Welcome to WoWS and hope you enjoy it Trevzor!

Things I learned:

How to aim

Don't outrun your team

Don't let your team outrun you

It's better to join the train than be blown to bits pointlessly in a 5 v 1 fight

Cap if you can. The XP is glorious.

Angle your hull to the thing with the biggest guns in range

Islands are your friends

Islands also suck

The Law of Schrodinger's Destroyer states that torpedoes are both always on the way and never on the way, so never sail straight at an even speed

Don't use your repair until all the carrier attack planes are done dropping ordinance

If you are in a BB and going right with the team there will usually be a cruiser to your right that decides to go left and ram you

Things I have not learned:

How to play Izumo well at all

Other things that aren't as important right now

No.  Just no.

You're actually extremely wrong and this goes on to show about how bad this game is at teaching anything as Trevzor even stated with the citadel story.

Now I probably don't have this 100% right and people can correct/flame/laugh/yell all they want at me, but:

• HE on destroyers is in fact, as you are pointing out, less likely to overpen
  • HE can quickly have it's damage negated by damage saturation on DDs due to low hp on each part of the ship
  • AP can actually fully penetrate and detonate inside ANY DD. I've done over 5k damage with a single shell to Shimakaze using Yamato's AP. Scharnhorst and Dunkerque seem to perform better firing AP against DDs than HE. Scharnhorst especially seems to have a low enough caliber or something to allow them to get standard penetrations easily.
  • I'm not very sure on this one, but I think overpens are also (nearly?) guaranteed to do 10% of max damage, so that makes it reliable, even if it's "low" damage.

I don't know if there is any 100% good choice for certain situations, but AP is definitely usable on destroyers. Lately I've even felt it's actually more reliable.

Most if not all of the most important aspects of this game were not documented and/or explained using official sources, ie, WoWS or WG. I spent a whole lot of time looking all over youtube and my fair share of whining on the forums before I actually "got it". Someone seemed to think things should be obvious I guess. Having written that, things have improved and are improving in that area... the wiki work for example. 

One other thing is leave the rage at the door, close the door and have fun. 

If I'm in a BB, I usually just keep shooting whatever I've got loaded in the guns if I'm taking opportunity shots at DD's. If I smash the DD, or the DD otherwise dies while my guns are reloading, I'd have HE loaded when they finish, and I want to get back to engaging cruisers and other BB's. If I'm likely to be engaging DD's and lightly built cruisers for the foreseeable future, then I'll switch to HE. 

I have had no problem killing DDs with AP, I actually prefer it.  The situation seems to develop like this.  AP is loaded, looking for enemy C/BB, DD comes into range, unload AP into it.  Reload HE?? not me, because usually decent DD player is moving out of Visual, Dropping smoke, or that enemy CA/BB just turned broadside to you.  Do you really want HE in this situation?  I now have option to unload into a juicy broadside target OR if DD is closing to again fire.  AP  seems to be just as effective as HE, to me.  I am not sure I am advocating AP over HE with CA's because again, it depends on what CA I am driving.  6 inch Russian or most Japanese almost always using HE anyways, so no switch.  US CA's using a lot of AP, so again why switch, and I really don't remember a time where I said to myself, "wish I had loaded HE for that DD "  I would like to hear about other players experiences, as hard data is probably going to be hard to come by.

It's better to join the train than be blown to bits pointlessly in a 5 v 1 fight

Disagree - if a few brave souls don't try to buy some time and hold back the enemy on the side away from the lemming train, it's pretty much a guaranteed loss, especially when the lemmings see a torpedo and magically. as one ship, turn away from their advance and get stuck in a corner..

Edited by collisionSpace

No.  Just no.

Ac tually, if a DD is closing in on you, and you're firing through the nose, you'll do full AP damage.  3k damage a hit is not joke.  That's how BB's firing AP on DD's can still manage to delete them from existence.

No.  Just no.

AP works very well on DD"s if used correctly, if you catch a DD angled 45 degrees or more, the shell will go through enough of the destroyer to count as a penetration and in BB's that counts to 3-5k damage per hit which is easily 2-3x more than HE will do. Yes, for new players HE is better, but if you don't practice with AP you will never get better or understand the practice

AP also has the upside of already being loaded for the unexpected but available broadside of everything else :-) 

This is the leading reason I fire AP at DDs

~Trevzor

My early games? So long ago, I wish I had saved some of those replays. Early on I learned that I would be doing a lot of learning for a long time.

I have had no problem killing DDs with AP, I actually prefer it.  The situation seems to develop like this.  AP is loaded, looking for enemy C/BB, DD comes into range, unload AP into it.  Reload HE?? not me, because usually decent DD player is moving out of Visual, Dropping smoke, or that enemy CA/BB just turned broadside to you.  Do you really want HE in this situation?  I now have option to unload into a juicy broadside target OR if DD is closing to again fire.  AP  seems to be just as effective as HE, to me.  I am not sure I am advocating AP over HE with CA's because again, it depends on what CA I am driving.  6 inch Russian or most Japanese almost always using HE anyways, so no switch.  US CA's using a lot of AP, so again why switch, and I really don't remember a time where I said to myself, "wish I had loaded HE for that DD "  I would like to hear about other players experiences, as hard data is probably going to be hard to come by.

HE is the preferred method for killing DD's because you have the potential to wreck such things as steering and engines. Take this example, you and another ship are sailing along, you both see a DD. Ship 1 fires HE and knocks out the engine on the DD, the DD, hoping to evade, repairs and turns away, you fire HE and knock out his engine again. By now, that DD is hurting and either dead in the water, or even with the captains skill last stand, is crawling into his smoke cloud hoping nobody has hydro acoustic search or radar. That DD cannot repair the dmg done quickly and if anyone actively pursues him, he is severely gimped and has little chance to evade. That's why HE is preferable over AP for killing DD's.

Seems like eons ago my first 200 games. But I'm gonna take a guess that these are the first things I learned:

1. Dont sail broadside to anything that has torps or bigger guns than you. 

2. See No. 1

3. See No. 1

4. In the end, with the exception of Unicom players carrying games, the team that sticks together or that moves aggressively towards caps wins.

5. When you see Torp planes, turn parallel to them. When you see Dive Bombers, turn perpendicular to them. 

6. Use AP for broadside targets. Use HE for everything else. 

7. If you have 3 torp tubes, aim one at indicator, one behind, and one in front. You will have one guaranteed torp hit usually. 

Things I learned later on:

1. Use strafe whenever possible with fighters. 

2.  If things look ugly, turn around early. Do not rush ahead of CA and DD screens in a BB. 

3. Use AP with Russian DDs. 

4. Go 1v6 in Russian DDs and scare away an entire fleet with your relentless HE spam. You can do this also in IJN Ninja boats. Dont do this in ANY other ship. Stick with your fleet. 

Things I learned, but I do anyways to this day:

1. Dont sit still in smoke unless you are 100% sure there are no torps that can hit you. 

2. Dont turn around last minute to retreat. That 50,000 dmg citadel will hit you. Guaranteed. Avoid that situation in the first place. 

3. Dont get your CV spotted and caught by enemy fleet. Always keep an eye on your CV as much as on your planes.