Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PTX_007_03C

Oh The Bayern!!!

23 comments in this topic

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

This thing just won't stop. Got torped, hit from 3 different angles by battleships, burned and still had some HP to spare when I rammed.

shot-16.08.23_11.25.29-0746.jpg

GIF SOUND

Even in T7 this thing can take a lot of punishiment before going down.

If this ship won't encourage BB captains to fight in the frontlines more often I don't know what will. Even when you get rekt in your push this thing is fun to play with, my stats are crap and I still love it.

Bonus kek:

Your citadels:

hqdefault.jpg

Your citadels when you angle

:giphy.gif

shot-16.08.23_11.25.29-0746.jpg

Edited by ShiroDNL

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,854 battles

A properly driven Bayern is more dynamic than a Warspite and more tanky than an Arizona. Just too bad it gets no plane and mediocre gun range.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,320 battles

A properly driven Bayern is more dynamic than a Warspite and more tanky than an Arizona. Just too bad it gets no plane and mediocre gun range.

And a couple of hundred thousand credits from getting one. Then getitng the skipper upgraded, then modded out...oh how I've waited for her.

Members
373 posts
5,398 battles

The Bayern gave me great joy.  Having trained myself on the Warspite, it was like a fish to water.

It's a fabulous brawler, and it's at (in my opinion) the most balanced tier in the game.  So that means you can confidently close the range, which is exactly what you're supposed to do.

I wish the higher tiers were as good as Tier 6.

[SALVO]
Members
28,130 posts
42,510 battles

If this ship won't encourage BB captains to fight in the frontlines more often I don't know what will. Even when you get rekt in your push this thing is fun to play with, my stats are crap and I still love it.

Honestly, I don't like brawling in BB's that much.  I prefer to do my BB fighting at mid range.  Of course, this is all relative to the range of each BB's guns.  But in mid tier BB's, I like fighting around 10-15 km rather than moving a lot closer.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I think 17.7km is fine for T6 battles, yeah you are screwed in Ocean against IJN but in other maps you will most likely be able to find engagements at shorter distances and make use of cover to retreat, if needed.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,854 battles

When Bayern spies unfortunate souls and prepares to brawl

igYMRAf.gif

• Cool 2

Members
853 posts

My last match in Dunkerque.

4v2 situation

2 enemies including the Bayern had 100% hp left.

My 2 BB team mates didnt try... and 1 DD team mate a sneeze would finish him off.

So it was me sailing bow on to a Bayern and he angling at me so it was a 1v1 for a very long time.... 

So many bounces.... So many for both of us. (he was angled and sailing away while I kept bow on) was funny.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
2,071 battles

When Bayern spies unfortunate souls and prepares to brawl

igYMRAf.gif

That is terrifying.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,854 battles

That is terrifying.

So is a sudden Bayern in your face if you're a little cruiser or unfortunate little battleship.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I'm sorry, but 16.6km range is pretty decent for a T6 BB.

AZ: 16km

NM: 14.9km

Fuso: 21.8km

Warspite: 16.3km

Dunkerque: 18.2km

Bayern: 16.6km

Especially when you factor in its concealment, that allows it to get inside of <15km of the reds.

AZ: 14.0km

NM: 14.2km

Fuso: 18.9km

Warspite: 13.8km

Dunkerque: 16.4km

Bayern: 14.9km

[A-D-F]
Members
7,879 posts
44,029 battles

In my Bayern yesterday (I posted this elsewhere) I found my first Dunkerque, facing bow to bow, 6km apart. He shot AP to my bow, it bounced for no damage. I shot AP to his bow. Pen and decent damage. You can guess who died.

[VX9]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
327 posts
5,325 battles

The more I hear about this, the more excited I get. I mean, my grind from the Nassau up has been extremely pleasant so far, so I can only imagine what's in store for me with the Bayern.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Max range is 17.7km, hull B gives you a bonus 1.1km in range.

Beta Testers
15,669 posts
4,714 battles

AZ: 16km

NM: 14.9km

Fuso: 21.8km

Warspite: 16.3km

Dunkerque: 18.2km

Bayern: 16.6km

Especially when you factor in its concealment, that allows it to get inside of <15km of the reds.

AZ: 14.0km

NM: 14.2km

Fuso: 18.9km

Warspite: 13.8km

Dunkerque: 16.4km

Bayern: 14.9km

Range mode upgrades as well. And it can be spotted by a DD or plane. It's a good ship, but has some Achilles heels.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,854 battles

Every other BB you listed gets a plane and / or plotting room +16% range equipment. The plane means that they'll be able to fire on a Bayern before the Bayern can fire back, and in late game cleanup Bayern will again have the shortest functional raneg because of its lack of plane. The plotting room equipment means that they have a higher base range to begin with. In the early and the late stages of an engagement Bayern's inability to shoot further than its base range under any circumstances is a limiting and balancing factor, no matter what way you twist it.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Every other BB you listed gets a plane, meaning that they'll be able to fire on a Bayern before the Bayern can fire back, and in late game cleanup Bayern will again have the shortest functional raneg because of its lack of plane. In the early and the late stages of an engagement Bayern's inability to shoot further than its max range under any circumstances is a limiting and balancing factor, no matter what way you twist it.

If Bayern has 15km detection range, and it's constantly getting shot at from outside of that, there are more pressing matters that are nearby.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,854 battles

there are more pressing matters that are nearby.

Which has what exactly to do with Bayern's firing range?

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,320 battles

considering Bayern is faster than all but the Dunqurke at tier 6, lack of range isn't too bad of a thing to deal with.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I don't have any issues with getting shot at, from outside of my range, with Warspite or AZ, even without the range mods or spotter planes.

I don't see how Bayern should have any issues either.

Seriously, It has concealment that is better than its firing range.

If it were the opposite, then yes, there would be problems.

Members
645 posts
2,685 battles

I like the Bayern. I just got it and it performs pretty well. Although I haven't found that it takes torps very well, but it's good against gun fire. I haven't been able to get any really good games in any of the German BBs though, not sure why. Most games are pretty mediocre damage (like 50K), and I haven't gotten a single 100K+ game in any of them yet.

I don't have any problem with her range though. 17+ km is plenty. I can barely even land shots at that distance anyway, so I close to 15km or less so range is never an issue.

Edited by BubbleRapper

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I like the Bayern. I just got it and it performs pretty well. Although I haven't found that it takes torps very well, but it's good against gun fire.

Oh but it does tank torps for quite a bit, as long as you make sure to receive them in your belt protection. Take a look:

NDCX7XBPHmmWU9F45dRS3q_s0dfSavq9UEs7Z6_n

I got torped at the start of this match and still managed to survive getting 3 kills and 70K+ damage with a few heals and friendly smokes, but always around the 5K hp left.

Edited by ShiroDNL

Members
2,378 posts
17,003 battles

I'm working my way toward it.  I've faced them in my Warspite several times now, and tend to come out on top.  Warspite's superior penetration makes a difference.  Still, it's the ship I look forward most to in the German BB line.

Sign in to follow this