You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Why is the New Yorks accuracy so Terrible?

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

Returning to WoW after a long break and I'm still baffled as to the exceptionally awful accuracy of this BB. I line up a stationary Cleveland at 10k and fire a single shell, range and position are good so I unleash a full barrage. All the shells fly off in completely random directions nowhere near the site, not a single hit... I reload (yawn..) and fire again, this time 3 hits with AP rounds but zero damage. Cleveland finally realises he's under fire and takes off. Soon afterwards a Nicholas tried to sneak up on me, I fire at 6k with 1 gun and both shells fly off in random directions, I go sideon and fire a full broadside at him, only 1 hits, yet he's firing non stop at me, hitting me every time starting fires galore, some friendly ships chased him off, if they didn't show up he would've easily killed me... My secondary armament is a complete joke..

Why is this ship so bad? I know they had historically mediocre accuracy but missing 75% of the shells at Kongos side on at 8k is so damn frustrating. Worse when the kongo returns fire and it seems to be laser sighted accuracy as every shell slams home. .

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,138 posts
30,896 battles

I looked up your stats to simply see what your experience was with BBs, and the USN line is your first.  What you're dealing with is the Battleship Lyfe.  Wonky & RNG prone dispersion to offset the colossal amount of damage the BB can potentially do.

I will simply say this:  Keep at it.  Your first BB line, you will struggle with.  Eventually, hopefully sooner than later, you get the hang of how to play and how to deal with your main battery.

Keep at it with Tiers IV-VI until you feel comfortable with BB play, because the costs start going up at Tier VII, and if you have a bad game at Tier VIII, you're easily walking away with a Credit deficit.  And it will only get worse at IX, X.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Low tier BBs are like that to prevent them from outright dominating the weakly armored WWI and interwar cruisers. Starting T6-7 you will see that the weight and/or accuracy of your salvos steadily increases.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

Low tier BBs are like that to prevent them from outright dominating the weakly armored WWI and interwar cruisers. Starting T6-7 you will see that the weight and/or accuracy of your salvos steadily increases.

Yeah...  From 150% useless, all the way up to a whopping 145% useless.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

New Mexico is where USN guns really settle down and get some accuracy. Just focus on learning proper aiming mechanics at the lower tiers and you'll be dynamite once your dispersion goes down at higher ones. 

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Yeah...  From 150% useless, all the way up to a whopping 145% useless.

Must be why I can remove a cruiser with one salvo from just the front guns on my North Carolina, eh? 

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

I've calculated this ship had a 10-15% hit rate at 10k if the shells are on target. ...and half the time they bounce.

Someone said aim for the weak parts on the ship. Like the shell will go where you're aiming, they just fly off in completely random directions. Certainly one of he most luck based ships I've played. Even at 4k range firing at a Cleveland side on only a few shells hit him.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,138 posts
30,896 battles

I've calculated this ship had a 10-15% hit rate at 10k if the shells are on target. ...and half the time they bounce.

Someone said aim for the weak parts on the ship. Like the shell will go where you're aiming, they just fly off in completely random directions. Certainly one of he most luck based ships I've played. Even at 4k range firing at a Cleveland side on only a few shells hit him.

If you're using AP, the target facing, range, and the target's armor value have a huge say in what's going to happen, on top of what RNG says.  Without getting too crazy indepth:

Range:  Closer your are, the more powerful the AP round can slam into someone.  Further out, in particular lighter shells, they lose velocity and punch.

Target facing:  Ideally, in the perfect world, you view a target's broadside at a perpendicular angle so it's less armor for your AP to punch through.  That's how people get nailed hard by AP, whether they are in a BB or Cruiser.  If the target is angled towards / away from you, then the AP may very well bounce or do minimal damage.  If the target is coming at you straight on, your AP may or may not punch through.  It depends on your gun caliber, target's forward bulkhead protection, etc.  Some ships, even a Cruiser, can bounce some BB shells bow on, while some larger calibers will punch through almost all Bow On protection.  Warspite at Tier VI is like that against 356mm shells but not 15"/16" shells.  A Cruiser like Pensacola will get LOL-PEN-CIT Bow On, while another Cruiser, Moskva, laughs at most BB shells Bow On.  Montana is a tough BB, but Yamato's 18" guns are so powerful that it will punch through a Bow On Montana.

If you want to be more precise, close range, but closing range can be dangerous depending on the situation.  Regardless, when you use BB guns, you're always dealing with dispersion and RNG.  Sometimes you are on the money and are punching anyone's ticket you come across.  Sometimes, you can watch your 12 gun salvo scatter all around a target and not hit the target itself.

That is Battleship Lyfe.

BB players live on the hope of getting that lucky, cataclysmic salvo.  Players talk about how they 1-2 shotted some hapless Cruiser or even another Battleship.  But they never talk about the many other salvos that completely missed, bounced, or just did normal penetration damage without a citadel.

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

The thing I really don't get is my AP rounds hit for 1000-2000 (when they pen), every hit I take seems to hit me for 5000-10000. I'm angling and trying to slope my armour as well.

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

I researched the New Mexico and I'm enjoying that a bit more. Its range is poor but its accuracy is less rage inducing.

Thought I'd give the New York 1 more go, again its 101% luck based RNG rubbish accuracy makes me laugh. Missing Kongos at 7k side-on. Someone said 'aim for the Citadel!!' You can F#$%#%$# aim this ships guns they just shoot in the vague direction they are pointing in. It just made me face palm when the shells splash all around the target but nothing hits.

Anyway I sold it and man it felt good seeing it go.

Members
1,211 posts
4,333 battles

I researched the New Mexico and I'm enjoying that a bit more. Its range is poor but its accuracy is less rage inducing.

Thought I'd give the New York 1 more go, again its 101% luck based RNG rubbish accuracy makes me laugh. Missing Kongos at 7k side-on. Someone said 'aim for the Citadel!!' You can F#$%#%$# aim this ships guns they just shoot in the vague direction they are pointing in. It just made me face palm when the shells splash all around the target but nothing hits.

You need to work your way closer so there's less of a problem with dispersion.  Ideally all the DDs will die after a bit and you'll move in to close range where it's hard to miss and slug it out with the big dogs.  I hated the New York with a passion, and slogged through it only until I unlocked New Mexico just to get that done with and promptly quit U.S. BBs. 

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

Considering my main battery hit rate in the NY is 25%, I find that highly unlikely.  I'm no Unicum and I typically try to engage in the 10-14km range band in the NY, as I find this the best compromise between distance for safety and closing in for better hit %.

No, the NY's accuracy is not great.  Overall, I don't think she's a particularly good ship.  But she's not the utter dog some players make her out to be.  You can't blame *all* your problems on the ship.  If you're not doing well in the NY, don't expect moving up the USN BB Tech Tree to magically solve your issues -- learning how to get hits with the NY @ 10-14km will teach you now to get hits with the New Mexico at 13-17km.

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,577 battles

wait till you get to the NC, that dispersion will have you throwing your hands up shouting WT $#%!@#$

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

I have a 35% accuracy in my Texas. Same sigma, same dispersion as the NY. You just need more practice is all.

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

I have a 35% accuracy in my Texas. Same sigma, same dispersion as the NY. You just need more practice is all.

See, the problem is that "accuracy" just means "hit something made of metal, somewhere, at some point".  The absurd scattershot dispersion still means that you lose 95% or more of all possible damage.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

See, the problem is that "accuracy" just means "hit something made of metal, somewhere, at some point".  The absurd scattershot dispersion still means that you lose 95% or more of all possible damage.

If that's the case, I should have north of 100k avg dmg per game then in the Texas. My avg is 50k per match in the ship. NY/Tex guns shooting wise aren't bad guns at all. NY has that awful boat (which was never on either ship in wartime) preventing turret 3 from being as easily brought to bear, but gun wise their identical.  It also has a 71% win rate over 80 battles.

Hardly the mark of a terrible ship.

If you think Tx is bad... Try the Bayern at over 10km.. or just the Furataka period. Talk about a weak pathetic piece of crap that shouldn't be in the game (The Furataka. Bayern at least can make up for it once it gets to knife fight distance)

Edited by Mavairo

Alpha Tester
777 posts
1,515 battles

if you aren't landing hits with NewMex and Lolorado it's user error

Yeah sure, it's completely user error for when your shots land center mass on your target who's broadside is larger than a side of a barn, but every shot landed around it/bounced because of the ridiculous dispersion.

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

Yeah sure, it's completely user error for when your shots land center mass on your target who's broadside is larger than a side of a barn, but every shot landed around it/bounced because of the ridiculous dispersion.

I'm not sure I take anything seriously from someone who posts his case in his signature. 

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

It's a low tier ship, they are going to be innacurate almost no matter what. 

Tier 5 is not technically low tier. I only play tier 5 and 6 anyway,  no desire to grind for bigger ships. 

Members
2,518 posts

What is the purpose of arguing exceptions? Unless you are claiming that you are consistently getting 0 hit 12 gun straddling salvoes at broadside targets at reasonable ranges. In which case you are wrong.

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

What is the purpose of arguing exceptions? Unless you are claiming that you are consistently getting 0 hit 12 gun straddling salvoes at broadside targets at reasonable ranges. In which case you are wrong.

How do you figure he's wrong, exactly?  The New York does that all the time.