You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aduial

question concerning bad hard disk blocks

12 comments in this topic

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Recently, i've been getting frequent blue-screen crashes while using my laptop. So i went into the Event Viewer in Windows, and i found messages saying that i had bad blocks on my hard drive. 

2016-08-23.png2016-08-23.png

I've heard that bad blocks indicate a failing hard drive and that a failing hard drive can cause crashes, but also heard that crashes can cause bad blocks on a hard drive. My question here is, are the bad blocks causing crashes, or are the crashes causing bad blocks? Or are they just unrelated? 

Also, i ran check disk from the command prompt. In the case that i have a failing hard drive, would this help to slow or stop additional bad blocks from being created? 

Edited by Aduial

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

the chkdsk you ran was it  chkdsk /r  ?

Honestly the amount of times this is occurring in your event viewer, you're better off to get a new hard drive.

I reviewed your other thread again, apps that stop responding can indicate a failing hard drive. Your BSOD issues are more than likely tied into it. WoWs is pretty insane when it comes to the amount of files it has on your computer (which wouldn't help the issue)

New hard drive imho

Edited by Dahdrael

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

the chkdsk you ran was it  chkdsk /r  ?

Yes. So would it help, at least a little bit? 

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

Yes. So would it help, at least a little bit? 

it may if a few bad sectors was all that was wrong with it, chkdsk can also make things worse if it is a failing hard drive.. since you're forcing the drive to go through a full scan.. once its goes through that the drive itself gets slower until it doesnt go anymore.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

So basically, my hard drive is f***ed and i need to get myself a new one. 

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

While I am not an expert per say, I do have some advice.

When you start getting BSoDs, you should do the obvious:

Backup

Reinstall OS

Scan for errors (in your case, use a program called Crystal Disk Info) it should pull up the SMART data that your HDD holds. 

Do optimizations, such as disk defrag. But do NOT use third party system 'cleaners' I'm talking about things like a third party defragger, driver updater (I don't even wanna say how stupid it is to have a program update drivers for you), registry cleaner(you don't ever need to 'clean' registry).

If you have done any 'OS-customizations' like for example an Alienware skin that replaces system files then that could be a problem. The problem could also be that you don't defrag and things have gotten quite scattered. There's also the fact that if you're sitting on an old OS install, that could be a problem (things tend to get a bit wonky after a year or two).

Or maybe it's finally time to put your HDD out of it's misery. Never fear, laptop HDDs are pretty cheap.

Also, if the laptop had ever encountered physical abuse, then lets just say that you may have a damaged HDD. Be happy that it still works and you can get the data off it. If this is the case, I insist you get the data off it and immediately replace it. Damaged electronics are NOT reliable. Therefore, it could fail in the next ten minutes, to whenever.

Members
781 posts
9,892 battles

So basically, my hard drive is f***ed and i need to get myself a new one. 

i would say so, they're pretty cheap if you get them online

[LEAK]
Beta Testers
1,686 posts
209 battles

Backup what you can ASAP, replace it with an SSD and transfer everything into it.

• Cool 2

[ARB_1]
Beta Testers
147 posts
5,332 battles

Backup what you can ASAP, replace it with an SSD and transfer everything into it.

​All this, get yourself a decent 250GB SSD and enjoy the wonderful speed increase. Just take care to not fill it all the way (leave about 20% free) and make sure you keep a backup of all important files as if an SSD fails it is usually total. I work in a small pc repair shop and this is never a good sign so the first thing we do is replace the drive with an SSD if we can.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

​All this, get yourself a decent 250GB SSD and enjoy the wonderful speed increase. Just take care to not fill it all the way (leave about 20% free) and make sure you keep a backup of all important files as if an SSD fails it is usually total. I work in a small pc repair shop and this is never a good sign so the first thing we do is replace the drive with an SSD if we can.

Or get one of those 500 GB SSDs at $125 :hiding:

[LEAK]
Beta Testers
1,686 posts
209 battles

Or get one of those 500 GB SSDs at $125 :hiding:

Or get the 1TB SSD like I did. Go the whole hog I say!

(actually, I went and got 1TB for data + 250GB for system)