You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NashW8

Lately

29 comments in this topic

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles

I can't get on a winning team. No matter how much I try to carry.

Today I've been the last survivor of several matches where my team just melted around me. Two is coincidence. Three is enemy action. Why? Who did I displease?

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Division with competent players.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Like meeeeee! =D

But don't actually do that though! Thats a horrible idea! I suck! D=

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Doesn't always help. I was the worst player in a 3-player division with two damn good players yesterday morning. The three of us were in the top four on our teams in almost every match. We went 2-11. 

Today, I took my Gneis out with a friend's Scharn.  I'm an average player, 52-55% win rate in the last four months or so usually. He's better than I am. We went 1-4 and were the top two or two of top three in four of those matches. Two of them we were the only ships capping...in BBs. 

You know you're in a bad rut when even divisioning with players better than you doesn't help. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Doesn't always help. I was the worst player in a 3-player division with two damn good players yesterday morning. The three of us were in the top four on our teams in almost every match. We went 2-11. 

Today, I took my Gneis out with a friend's Scharn.  I'm an average player, 52-55% win rate in the last four months or so usually. He's better than I am. We went 1-4 and were the top two or two of top three in four of those matches. Two of them we were the only ships capping...in BBs. 

You know you're in a bad rut when even divisioning with players better than you doesn't help. 

To be honest, just stop worrying so much about win rate. If you focus more on having fun, making sure your good at aiming, finding ships that you love playing and then playing the heck out of them, and then playing with people who you enjoy playing with, not just those who are necessarily any good (though it can't hurt), your winrate will start going up by itself.

This game is honestly about teamwork, not just solo play. Thats why winning and losing depend more so on your team than anything else, so if your team just sucks and the enemy is just that much better, theres not a ton you can do about it, except go down swinging your hardest and hoping to bring a couple down with you. Work on being a good shot, and knowing where you need to be, and supporting your teammates when they need it the most.

Just stop worrying so much on winning, and just focus on playing to your strengths. The other stats will come naturally. :)

• Cool 1

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

I can't get on a winning team. No matter how much I try to carry.

Today I've been the last survivor of several matches where my team just melted around me. Two is coincidence. Three is enemy action. Why? Who did I displease?

Must have annoyed Auric Goldfinger, or at least the literary version

[HAIFU]
-Members-
702 posts
7,365 battles

Happens to all of us. I've been on a winning streak today though this was following a loosing streak a couple days ago. Maybe it's just me being superstitious, but i seem to lose games when I near another 100 battle mark but begin winning again afterwards :P

[DOB]
Beta Testers
295 posts
7,073 battles

Meh, I look at it as my job when in a division to kick back and provide the beer's :P either that or to lower the overall efficiency of the division to give red team a fair chance :teethhappy:.  

But yeah, some days... things just go wrong..back to back to back...just need to keep it all bottled inside and let it build....

Edited by Tald

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

To be honest, just stop worrying so much about win rate. If you focus more on having fun, making sure your good at aiming, finding ships that you love playing and then playing the heck out of them, and then playing with people who you enjoy playing with, not just those who are necessarily any good (though it can't hurt), your winrate will start going up by itself.

This game is honestly about teamwork, not just solo play. Thats why winning and losing depend more so on your team than anything else, so if your team just sucks and the enemy is just that much better, theres not a ton you can do about it, except go down swinging your hardest and hoping to bring a couple down with you. Work on being a good shot, and knowing where you need to be, and supporting your teammates when they need it the most.

Just stop worrying so much on winning, and just focus on playing to your strengths. The other stats will come naturally. :)

I'm fairly competitive. I like to win. As LWM pointed out, you're going to lose 1/3 of your games no matter how good you are. You're going to win 1/3 of your games no matter how bad you are. But you can influence enough that win rate is a decent indicator of your skill overall, because a good player is going to carry enough to win more often than not in the 'middle third.' 

It's streaky. I've won ten in a row where I wasn't playing very well. I lost 29 in a row a few weekends ago when I was playing better than I ever have. These things happen. But given a large enough sample size, win rate determines your skill as a player more than anything else to me, because it encapsulates all the little things that no other stat does, like capping and defending caps and positioning and knowing when to push and when to defend and everything else. WTR is flawed as it doesn't really measure ways of contributing beyond damage very well; win rate is my #1 personal metric for how I'm playing. 

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

If that was as easy as you try to make it sound, I'd not be harassed on forums about my winrate every week.

Members
135 posts
2,997 battles

I felt bad for a player on Red yesterday who scored a kraken and lost. (In that game I had 4 kills and was gunning for the last one...)

I had this one yesterday. >100k damage in my Konig, and lost.

fH3Kufu.png

Had a teammate tonight who had lost 12 in a row - I said "let's see if we can break that streak," and then we lost badly. It happens. :-)

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles

Streaks are pure superstition. Gambling does not ever work. Yet it seems MM has had it in for me for a couple of weeks. Maybe I didn't answer the question about how I liked that match correctly.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I saw a screenshot on the forums where someone did 380k damage in a Yamato and still lost. (Can't remember who it was.... it was one of the forum regulars) So yeah, individual performance has little to do with winning. 

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Streaks are pure superstition. Gambling does not ever work. Yet it seems MM has had it in for me for a couple of weeks. Maybe I didn't answer the question about how I liked that match correctly.

Streaks are a fundamental characteristic of random sequences.  In fact, the absence of streaks can be an indicator that a particular sequence is NOT random.  For example, take the coin flip.  The sequence of all heads HHHHHHHHHH or all tails TTTTTTTTTT has a probability of 0.098% (about one in  thousand).  The apparently non-random sequence is an EXPECTED outcome if you flip enough coins.    

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

I saw a screenshot on the forums where someone did 380k damage in a Yamato and still lost. (Can't remember who it was.... it was one of the forum regulars) So yeah, individual performance has little to do with winning. 

So the super unicums in the game that have > 60% WR over 1000s of games are just really, really lucky??

Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

So the super unicums in the game that have > 60% WR over 1000s of games are just really, really lucky??

Lucky? Probably. Skilled enough to create their own luck? More than likely. Of course, I'd wager dollars to premium ships that most unicums division with fellow unicums or, at the very least, players that are near enough to that statistical milestone as to make hardly any difference.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

Streaks are a fundamental characteristic of random sequences.  In fact, the absence of streaks can be an indicator that a particular sequence is NOT random.  For example, take the coin flip.  The sequence of all heads HHHHHHHHHH or all tails TTTTTTTTTT has a probability of 0.098% (about one in  thousand).  The apparently non-random sequence is an EXPECTED outcome if you flip enough coins.    

Unlike binary results, gameplay in WoWs is also heavily dependent on skill, so non-random sequences can occur with far greater probability particularly if you're feeling under the weather.  The main reason for this tends to lie in the matchmaker promptly placing you with red shirts multiple games in a row.  However, there are cases where I extend the streak merely because I mess up at the beginning and did not pull my weight.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Lucky? Probably. Skilled enough to create their own luck? More than likely. Of course, I'd wager dollars to premium ships that most unicums division with fellow unicums or, at the very least, players that are near enough to that statistical milestone as to make hardly any difference.

I soloed to 63% before I started playing with friends, just divisioning wont do anything if there is not already a strong foundation to build on. 

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

Eh players can pull their teams through, its not all luck.

I have 1682 Solo games at 62,72% w/r

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,016 battles

non-random sequences can occur with far greater probability particularly if you're feeling under the weather. 

I think you may have a point there. It also doesn't help that I mostly hang out around T5 which has not been so much fun lately.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

I think you may have a point there. It also doesn't help that I mostly hang out around T5 which has not been so much fun lately.

I find T7-T8 to be alot of fun.   Many options in ships.

[-DZ-]
Members
178 posts
14,791 battles

I do see some losing streaks (I'll go 1 and 8 or 1 and 10). But then I'll come back another day and get in a streak where it seems I can do now wrong. Overall, it balances out and I win a bit more than I lose. My stats are nothing special, but I'm happy with them.

And playing a Tier 5 right now seems to be suicide. I tried that over the weekend and spent the whole time dodging Tier 7s.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I said little, not none..... But anyways, it is possible i guess, if you're really good. For example, in a tier 4 game with my Clemson where i'm pretty much one of the best players around, i can actually influence the game and pull my team to a win. But in a tier 8-1- battle, where i'm considered an average player, i won't be able to make much of a difference. 

[FYYFF]
Members
648 posts
16,734 battles

The German battleship grind has been terrible.  I finally get the Kaiser and after 17 games have a whopping 17% win rating in her.  And I thought playing the Nassau for 15 games with a 46% WR was bad.

I don't want to play any more.   It's just no fun.