You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

2 quick questions

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

I've returned to WoW after a 6 month break. Playing Battleships mainly (game of luck..).

Just wondering if there is any point in AP shells? When they pen they can do a lot of damage but my last multiple hits on any BB's have done little damage. Switch to HE and it seems to do a lot more damage and its much more consistent, experientially against DD's and CV's.

also what are these things? See them a lot of Japanese destroyers and other ships. They look like giant bombs but really don't seem to serve any purpose.

shot-16.08.23_12.25.02-0992.jpg

Edited by LunchCutter

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
6,712 battles

also what are these things? See them a lot of Japanese destroyers and other ships. They look like giant bombs but really don't seem to serve any purpose.

What? What things?

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

1. AP is very effective. Don't use HE unless you're fighting an angled battleship.

2. Paravanes.

Beta Testers
964 posts
2,130 battles

Question 1: You can citadel BBs, and it hurts. A lot. Plus normal penetrations still hurt a lot. I got nuked for around 30-ish thousand damage because I was a fool and didn't angle my Kongo hard enough. Plus a bunch of standard penetrations deals heavy damage. My Fuso can deal 15k damage on an unangled New Mexico with 0 citadels.

Question 2: Depth charges? Not sure. On DDs it's definitely depth charges, they were the primary destroyer hunters except for probably sub chasers.

Edit: You know nothing, Jon Snow. They're not depth charges. 

Edited by My_Other_Car_Is_A_Tank

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

What tier?  The 12in BBs are kinda iffy IMHO.  You will see a lot more cits as you move from the 12in BBs to the 14in BBs.  And that many more at the 15/16in level.  And then the OMG...18in Yamato!!!

With 14 and above, the AP is pretty much the go to round for anything that is broadside.  It's kind of tricky once you are dealing with bow on adversaries.  This is where experience comes in handy.  There are certain situations where AP is still the choice for a bow on BB.  But if you don't have the experience, you can't go wrong switching to HE when dealing with a BB adversary that is angled well.

Some exceptions include games where you are overmatched, there are lots of DDs, or where there are CVs in play.  Sometimes going HE early can pay off.  It works when overmatched, it's better against DDs (and helps your DDs by knocking out secondaries) and helps your CVs (by knocking out AA) and forcing damage control expenditure that can be taken advantage of by the CV captain or a DD.  So you gotta think more than just "How can I do the most damage", but should also factor in ways you can create situations where you help your team do more damage.

Case in point.  I was in an Amagi and was destroyed by an Iowa in a running (me running away) fight.  I was throwing HE from those three rear mounts.  After I died I watched the CV captain perform a perfect close in torp run on the Iowa, and got a devastating strike.  I was wondering how he got past all the AAA.  When I checked the detail screen after the match I realized my HE spam on the Iowa had taken out all of its AAA.    

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

Thanks for the paravane question - been wondering about those for awhile too.