You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
goldeagle1123

Guys I'm super on the fence... I need public input!

Is the Dunkerque worth buying?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel the Dunkerque is worth buying?

• Yes
    • No

46 comments in this topic

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I'm super on the fence about this one, I've heard both scathing and very complimentary reviews of the ship. Her stats are pretty subpar, and her reviews are mixed at best. So I'm interested to hear what the community has to say. Because I'm very intrigued by the ship, and it is tempting to buy her. (This is also a very random question, but what national voice does she use? English?)

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

WG haven't add France voices yet.

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Do you like niche ships like the Atlanta? Then you will enjoy the Dunkerque. She has a great support role and is a good ship to follow BBs with.

I would recommend her as she seems like a fun ship, even if statistically a little on the weak side. (Like Atlanta)

Edited by 10T0nHammer

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

she's a very strong situational battleship, her AP is surprisingly strong just remember to not over-extend in her because her aa/secondarys are very weak.

overall though yes i recommend buying.  

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I'm super on the fence about this one, I've heard both scathing and very complimentary reviews of the ship. Her stats are pretty subpar, and her reviews are mixed at best. So I'm interested to hear what the community has to say. Because I'm very intrigued by the ship, and it is tempting to buy her. (This is also a very random question, but what national voice does she use? English?)

I don't remember watching/reading a overall positive review.  I think that best I heard is that she is a collector ship that will have a very unique play style.  To me the question would be, why would you think of buying her?  If it is to take advantage the premium ship component, then no because I don't think you will be farming credits and you can't use her (for the foreseeable future) as a captain trainer.  If you have plenty of disposable WoWS funds and you think she might be interesting to play every once in a while, then by all means.

It sounds to me like you really want to buy her but you want folks to validate your choice, which I don't think will happen based on the ships stats/performance.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I recommend her. Her AP is surprisingly punchy, and her armor doesn't seem as bad as all the reviews stated. 

[REVY]
Members
9,647 posts
7,316 battles

Well, she's a unique ship with a unique play-style, which makes her a solid candidate for premium ship in my opinion.

[JASH]
Members
386 posts
7,111 battles

I like to collect ships, so yes.  Also, I think this one is worth it simply from a change of pace in playstyle.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,290 posts
23,620 battles

I would say yes. I really like variety and there is nothing in the game like this ship.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I looked at her, I read a bit about her and the only thing I could think about was the Izumo. It's never a good thing when a ship makes you think about the Izumo.

[APOC]
[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,119 battles

Having not played the ship in testing, I cannot tell you whether or not there have been changes made. But I spent my time watching Mejash play it and he was dealing 100k+ damage and making 400k+ credits a game. My first game had around 130k damage, it does NOT play like the Izumo. They have the design I suppose but the accuracy is on point in the Dunk and it handles much better. I am averaging 76k over 11 games, that's two games where I messed up and died with only 30k or so dealt. I think the ship is fantastic and I will list my pros and cons.

Pros:

• Speed and Turning
  • Incredible accuracy (over 40% a game)
  • Strong AP and 35% fire chance HE shells
  • Heals a large amount, probably 20% on citadels like the Warspite
  • Can turn to a new course for offensive or defensive purposes
  • Fast turning of the ship helps the traverse speed of the turrets
  • Have not had a main gun knocked out temporarily more than one time in 11 games
  • Can bounce NC shells on the bow
  • Absolutely shreds cruisers and the accuracy can hit DD's at range
  • Has a Fighter at Tier 6
  • Trains French captains FAST with the event. 11 games and I have a 10 point commander.
  • Prints cash

Cons:

• As long as the Fuso and as fat as the Arizona
  • Has bad, bad side armor
  • Secondaries have to be angled, but overall they are way better than people say
  • Does not citadel other BB's well but does pen (could be new normalization mechanics)
  • Does not stop quickly
  • AA is poor and it's hard to dodge torps with the length

Overall, I think it's the best Tier 6 BB in the game. It does however play completely differently than the Arizona which is what everyone is so used to. It does have decent secondaries but they are not your primary focus like the Germans. It does not tank like the Arizona, it doesn't turn as well as the Warspite, but it does do both relatively well together. For the price that it is, and the ability to train French commanders right now, I would definitely not pass it up.

Edited by GG_Bootcamp

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

The only advantage the Dunkerque has is that she never has to expose a broadside because all of her guns are at the front. The New Mexico, Warspite, and Bayern have better guns and armour and the Fuso has more range. She's the worst tier 6 BB by far.

Beta Testers
412 posts
1,415 battles

it would be a tricky ship to play somehow you have to keep yourself from advancing to certain areas so the enemy's don't get behind ya so it would be a challenge to play

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

I don't buy many ships so my thoughts may be moot.

* I dont like prems under T7 and i have issues paying $40+ for a digital boat. 

So with that in mind, it limits me what i'm willing to spend on this game. (Id like the Scharn or the Tirpitz but just can never bring myself to buy it)

With the price of the ship, and that its unique, $24 for a T6 battleship isn't a bad price at all.  (I would consider it but i have a Texas at T5)

I say go for it, if you want it, and enjoy T6 que.   

Edited by Spyde

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,834 battles

If I wasn't the type of person that wants to own all this stuff I would pass.

I hate that it might not ever be sold again because its too good or too bad, and others would have it and I would not.

That would probably be the only reason I would buy it, basically not expecting anything else from it... although, I have not really truly decided since I just bought the Scharn last week as it is.

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Overall, I think it's the best Tier 6 BB in the game.

She's the worst tier 6 BB by far.

Shouldn't confuse the OP at all. :D

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Overall, I think it's the best Tier 6 BB in the game.

She's the worst tier 6 BB by far.

one of these things is not like the other

Members
4,608 posts

Only a couple of games in her so far, so far, she's unique for sure right now.  It'll probably take me several games to find how to really play her.  At the moment I do not regret buying her.