Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BiggieD61

The AI in PVE needs to be refined ... A LOT.

14 comments in this topic

[KSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
21,671 battles

I play at some seriously low pop server times due to my work schedule, so if I am playing PVE, it's often 2-3 human ships plus the rest friendly AI bots.  While the propensity of my teams bots to ram and suicide is often troubling, I am used to it now, and play accordingly.  I had a match this morning though, that really opened my eyes.  I was in a Mahan, setting up to torp an approaching cruiser and DD from smoke, an AI bot on my team in a Hatsuhara came barreling past me and dropped it's torps, point blank into me.  While it's possible that the torp vector for the oncoming ships MAY have been in my location, it's more likely that the Hatsu was dropping torps on a BB that was on the OTHER side of a 3km diameter island.  In essence, the torps would have hit land before hitting the BB, but instead hit me, going 5 knots slowly backwards.

I died from the flooding, but frankly the 28k credits from the bot did not make up for the team loss - or the overall credit loss i sustained in the match.  First rule of AI bots should be " First do NO HARM", especially with DD's and torps.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,396 battles

Happens - a lot.

I play Coop often, generally early AM when not yet fully awake and not ready for PvP. I have been torped by friendly bots. They often shoot from behind you like you are not even there or are transparent. I learned to try not to be in front of them, but not always possible. They do tend to ram enemies a lot.That doesn't bother me as a 1v1 loss for the teams is ok. Less bots to worry about.

My beef with the programming is mostly how they target you if in a DD, no matter what, and how they evade torps like a boss (even BBs) in sometimes unbelievable dodges. At least they don't beach themselves at every opportunity like they used to. 

Edited by alexf24

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Dont play pve

Clearly you don't play at off hours. When the queue is so low, and the Division spam is high....

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,409 battles

that is just the way it is even with Bot allies you have to keep a close watch on them. They work pretty well for practice but that is about all they are good for

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,573 battles

Clearly you don't play at off hours. When the queue is so low, and the Division spam is high....

i only use iit when i want to go full derp or use yammis secondaries xD we should div >w>

[KSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
21,671 battles

I think the AI is doing a better job - especially with a significantly reduced amount of "groundings" as mentioned by Alexf24, but it should be possible to add a rule to not launch a torp at a ship if there is an intermediate land mass that they will strike before hitting the ship.  Reviewing the battle, the two approaching enemy ships were both veering off to my port side, and the port side of the Hatsuhara that came streaming by me - those torps were launched for the BB on the other side of the island, and the 5 that missed me plowed straight into said island. 

PVE is a great casual game mode, and even fun for people who just decide to play ez mode with friends who are new to the game - it's worth refining the worst bugs to make it a better experience.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles

I play at some seriously low pop server times due to my work schedule, so if I am playing PVE, it's often 2-3 human ships plus the rest friendly AI bots.  While the propensity of my teams bots to ram and suicide is often troubling, I am used to it now, and play accordingly.  I had a match this morning though, that really opened my eyes.  I was in a Mahan, setting up to torp an approaching cruiser and DD from smoke, an AI bot on my team in a Hatsuhara came barreling past me and dropped it's torps, point blank into me.  While it's possible that the torp vector for the oncoming ships MAY have been in my location, it's more likely that the Hatsu was dropping torps on a BB that was on the OTHER side of a 3km diameter island.  In essence, the torps would have hit land before hitting the BB, but instead hit me, going 5 knots slowly backwards.

I died from the flooding, but frankly the 28k credits from the bot did not make up for the team loss - or the overall credit loss i sustained in the match.  First rule of AI bots should be " First do NO HARM", especially with DD's and torps.

When you play coop, you need to pay very careful attention to friendly bots.  Use them as meatshields.  Let them take the lead wherever they go.

Also, if you're playing at a time when it's likely that you'll have 50% or more of your team be bots, I recommend not playing DD's.  From my experience, if you're playing on a team with more than 50% of the team being bots, it's best to be in a battleship.  They are the most durable, and you don't need to get up front and risk getting between your team's bots and the enemy bots.  Just support your team's bots to try to make it so they don't die in vain. 

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,230 battles

PVE.

Bragging about it is like beating a one legged man in the 400M Hurdles.

Crying about it, is like getting BEAT by that one legged man....

nothing but easy mode for learning how your ship turns, fires, speed, etc etc...

training room, with Bots.....

nothing to brag about, noting to complain about....

IDC what you say ________(you know who you are)

stay there so we can have our fun with the real game....:trollface:

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles

PVE.

Bragging about it is like beating a one legged man in the 400M Hurdles.

Crying about it, is like getting BEAT by that one legged man....

nothing but easy mode for learning how your ship turns, fires, speed, etc etc...

training room, with Bots.....

nothing to brag about, noting to complain about....

IDC what you say ________(you know who you are)

stay there so we can have our fun with the real game....:trollface:

pmg, not everyone wants to put up with the crap talking and other offensive bullpucky that's normal in PvP.  Sometimes, people just want to relax and play the game without having to deal with a bunch of trash talking and all of the far more offensive garbage that's occurs in PvP.

I play both.  Sometimes, I'm in the mood for some more serious competitive battles.  And other times, I just want to kick back and relax.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,230 battles

pmg, not everyone wants to put up with the crap talking and other offensive bullpucky that's normal in PvP.  Sometimes, people just want to relax and play the game without having to deal with a bunch of trash talking and all of the far more offensive garbage that's occurs in PvP.

I play both.  Sometimes, I'm in the mood for some more serious competitive battles.  And other times, I just want to kick back and relax.

while I can say, Yeah, the Chat is getting close to WOT caliber, it is still just easy mode...I do not disagree with the, "being able to not deal with crap talk"... at least not as much....High tier PVE get a bit out of hand... more than I think it should if it even should a LITTLE...

But my thing is the people that cry BOTS cheat, or BRAG.....

IT is TRAINING...pretty much, 

learning how a ship works.. I play at LEAST 2 or three with a new ship if I don't have good times in PVP when I start her out...(I used to do ONLY PVE in the lower tiers when I was learning the game last year.., now I don't really go in as much)

But yeah, thick skin is a requirement. for almost every online game in general.. But this one is getting close to being WOT caliber toxic...

Edited by pmgaudio

Members
459 posts
8,042 battles

I have been torped by friendly bots.

They often shoot from behind you like you are not even there or are transparent. I learned to try not to be in front of them, but not always possible. They do tend to ram enemies a lot.

My beef with the programming is mostly how they target you if in a DD, no matter what, and how they evade torps like a boss (even BBs) in sometimes unbelievable dodges. At least they don't beach themselves at every opportunity like they used to. 

Along those lines, of ultra-rigid targeting priorities, I've also been noticing more that once bots on either team have chosen to start shooting at another ship they definitely continue to do so even when blocked.

Especially if they get a DD or low on hull points cruiser in their sights; I haven't noticed much any ability to change priority for better shots on a closer ship let alone recognizing that terrain or friendlies are in the way.

The AI changes seem very good (too good vs DDs?) at prioritizing (compared to most players), but at the same time very bad at being flexible and changing targets or recognizing low percentage shooting situations.

It gets more than a little silly to watch a bot or two on your team plastering an island to kill palm trees because a DD is hiding behind it rather than shifting to another threat that has a likelihood of sinking them first.

Edited by Billy_Burns_91

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Rarely do I get torped by friendly bots- it's the numbskull players that pull that nonsense.

I do agree that the pve bots need some adjusting.   The Friggin chasing thing is out of control- I've had half - or more- of the enemy team chasing me around.  Sometimes they otherwise ignore me and continue firing at my allies.  Other times, they ignore far easier, high priority teammates, and mindlessly focus on that one rabbit they're chasing.

Also in full agreement with the insane torp dodging skills, and I've noticed them cheating on DC party reloads quite often.  With the damage counter they added, it's easy to see when you're doing fire or flooding damage over time.  Many times, I've hit one started a fire, and they immediately put it out.  Next salvo, I start another- and they immediately put it out.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,604 battles

Rarely do I get torped by friendly bots- it's the numbskull players that pull that nonsense.

I do agree that the pve bots need some adjusting.   The Friggin chasing thing is out of control- I've had half - or more- of the enemy team chasing me around.  Sometimes they otherwise ignore me and continue firing at my allies.  Other times, they ignore far easier, high priority teammates, and mindlessly focus on that one rabbit they're chasing.

Also in full agreement with the insane torp dodging skills, and I've noticed them cheating on DC party reloads quite often.  With the damage counter they added, it's easy to see when you're doing fire or flooding damage over time.  Many times, I've hit one started a fire, and they immediately put it out.  Next salvo, I start another- and they immediately put it out.

If you rarely get torped by friendly bots, you doing something right.  That is, you're not getting between the enemy and the friendly bots.  Friendly bots are even dumber than live noob players.  They don't care if there are any friendlies between them and their target.  They just launch torps and friendlies be damned ... which is why one should NEVER get between a friendly bot and the enemy.  Let them be your meat shields, not the other way around.

Regarding the final 2 sentences, I think (not certain, but think) that DC parties have a period of immunity after you've used one.  Something like 10-20 seconds.  Something like that, where another fire or flood will be instantly fixed. 

Bots do have crazy torp dodging skills, largely because (IMO) they're aware of where every enemy ship, plane, and torpedo is, whether they should be able to do so or not.  They CLEARLY know where every ship is, spotted or not.  Enemy CV's will send planes after completely unspotted DD's like they know exactly where they are, because they DO know exactly where they are.  This is why it's a waste of time for DD's to run off solo in coop battles with a carrier present.  It's safer to just stay close enough to your team mates that if necessary, you can run back to them for some AA cover.

Also, as for landing more torpedo hits, I've found that the best way to do this is to charge the enemy ship and fire at close to point blank range.  Best to charge the from directly in front of them, to limit the number of secondaries that can fire at you.  Then when you get to within about 2-3 km, turn to one side and fire your torps right into the side of the enemy ship, with enough lead.  You can hardly miss.  If you time it right, you can get away with limited damage, particularly, if the enemy ship's forward main guns are aimed in another direction when you're first spotted.

Sign in to follow this