You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Francois424

Scharnhorst... being told how to play over and over

33 comments in this topic

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Hey all, funny story, for 2 days now, I keep getting told to shoot AP (and nothing but) in the Scharnhorst.

Yet unless getting taken out really soon in the match I regularly pull out 75-100k matches... and scoring 1st or top three,

I found that quite funny.

Any of you have stories on how to play while outplaying the whole team ?

( PS: HE + Fire still OP as heck... and it works really well with Scharny ! )

See you guys around and Nice week-end !

EDIT: latest game (love that boat, even if less forgiving than my WarSpite)

Spoiler
4nVHJFD.jpg

Edited by Francois424

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Anyone who tells you to only shoot AP in the scharnhorst has clearly never played her and never seen anything about her. Those guns are worthless loading AP unless they have a perfect broadside cruiser, or the same on a very close battleship to shoot at with it.

[PWI]
Banned
551 posts
1,839 battles

Anyone who tells you to only shoot AP in the scharnhorst has clearly never played her and never seen anything about her. Those guns are worthless loading AP unless they have a perfect broadside cruiser, or the same on a very close battleship to shoot at with it.

Lwm says "SHOOT AP WHEN IN BB"

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
846 posts

I use HE at range and AP once I'm somewhat closer.  To hell with what everyone else thinks.  If you're shooting AP exclusively, you're playing it wrong.

Members
4,608 posts

I have to agree, I switch often in the Scharnhorst between AP and HE unlike other BBs.  The Scharnhorst is the only BB I would have no problem going full HE on.

Members
1,726 posts
15,716 battles

Maybe if people stopped sitting 18km away "because it's a BB", other people wouldn't have to ask them if they plan on being useful at all during the match. =(

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,883 battles

I have had good games in the Scharn shooting only AP and good games shooting only HE.  HE is similarly trollish as sometimes it does 5k + fire a salvo and other times it just breaks an AA gun.  I've really only had two bad games in that ship, both times I was picked on by a CV.   If you watch your angles and brawl smartly you will continually be the best ship on the water no matter the ammo you chose to fire.

• Cool 1

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

HE is good, AP is good, Torps are good, Secondaries are good.

Scharnhorst is good.

Um wrong. She's not bad ship, but her HE is trash when compared to other tier 7 BBs, and her AP is laughable. Don't just spout off nonsense like that because you had a good game.
Edited by goldeagle1123

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

It's completely situational.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

If a BB repairs fire then eats torps, it's good for points as well

Edited by Francois424

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I personally don't use HE, but I can understand why people do. I always seem to get good damage rolls using her AP.

[MAUS]
Members
13,705 posts

I personally don't use HE, but I can understand why people do. I always seem to get good damage rolls using her AP.

I don't use it often, but there are times when it can yield surprising amounts of damage.  For example, if you're in a duel with an enemy Battleship that hasn't taken any fire from any cruisers, then an accurate salvo of HE to her superstructure can yield an enormous one time hit (and won't thereafter because of damage saturation). 
  • Cool 1

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Lwm says "SHOOT AP WHEN IN BB"

Yes, when in a BB. Scharnhorst guns can hardly be considered "BB guns". And that's what  matters in that statement. Guns. One rule cannot apply to everything. If it could this game would be boring as all hell.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,533 posts
29,990 battles

What! No citadels!

You are obviously do it way wrong.

You rush in, supporting the destroyers.

Shooting nothing but ap, whilst adding to torpedo spam.

Turn around, before capping, and run away til reloaded torps. Rinse repeat until dead...

Note: I do not have Tripitz, my highest ship is tier 8.

My 1st 4 games on release night, with my

"Shiney Horse" resulted in 4 #2 on team.

So I love her, she can flex & snipe. She can push or flank.

She can brawl. She does it all, but her dance partner leading the steps, determines if she rises or sinks.

Btw, 16k AP salvo on Nagato from 15 km...upper belt broadside, she is a beauty. 

[MAUS]
Members
13,705 posts

Yes, when in a BB. Scharnhorst guns can hardly be considered "BB guns". And that's what  matters in that statement. Guns. One rule cannot apply to everything. If it could this game would be boring as all hell.

Don't mind Kyogre.  He's misquoting me.  I see he's getting a little more desperate in his attempts to discredit the Community Contributors out there.

You should vary your ammunition choices.  Just be aware that sometimes HE is ... well, it's not good.  To understand why you have to look a little closer at the damage saturation mechanics.

There are three multipliers to your shell damage when they strike a target:

• Citadel hit:  1x multiplier.
  • Penetrating hit:  0.33x multiplier.
  • Over Penetrating hit:  0.1x multiplier
  • Saturated Penetrating hit:  0.165x multiplier.

An area of the ship that has been saturated with damage appears blackened.  It takes a reduced amount of damage from penetrating hits to that location.  These locations are:  The ship's prow, the ship's stern and its superstructure.  It doesn't take very much damage to cause an area to become saturated.  This is why your opening volleys against an enemy with HE might hit for a TON of damage but all of the follow ups seem lackluster by comparison.  Usually it only takes one or two good volleys to saturate the superstructure of a Battleship, for example.

But let's get out our calculators and look at some math.  We'll use the Nagato, Colorado and Scharnhorst's guns to show why sometimes it's just better to sling AP in the Sharnhorst than switching to HE.  But only sometimes.

• Colorado's guns:  12,400 & 5,700
  • Nagato's guns:  12,600 & 6,500
  • Scharnhorst's guns:  7,600 & 3,200.

Now let's plug those numbers in.  We get the following:

• Colorado:  AP Overpen = 1,240, HE Pen = 1,881, Saturated HE Pen = 941.
  • Nagato:  AP Overpen = 1,260, HE Pen = 2,145, Saturated HE Pen = 1,073
  • Scharnhorst:  AP Overpen = 760, HE Pen = 1,056, Saturated HE Pen = 528

You can see that in all three cases, an AP round's over penetration damage exceeds that of saturated HE damage.  Does that mean you should always fire AP?  Well, no.  Reality is always more complicated than theory crafting.  HE, of course, has the chance to start fires.  The explosive blast radius can also be rather nice for helping disable modules.  If I see an enemy Battleship blow their Damage Control Party and they're angled to me, I'm quite likely to reach for an HE salvo to try and reignite those blazes and farm some easy damage before switching back to AP.  Against ships I know I cannot penetrate reliably -- again, I will reach for HE.  Small bits of damage are better than no damage, after all.

• Cool 6

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Don't mind Kyogre.  He's misquoting me.  I see he's getting a little more desperate in his attempts to discredit the Community Contributors out there.

You should vary your ammunition choices.  Just be aware that sometimes HE is ... well, it's not good.  To understand why you have to look a little closer at the damage saturation mechanics.

An area of the ship that has been saturated with damage appears blackened.  It takes a reduced amount of damage from penetrating hits to that location.  These locations are:  The ship's prow, the ship's stern and its superstructure.  It doesn't take very much damage to cause an area to become saturated.  This is why your opening volleys against an enemy with HE might hit for a TON of damage but all of the follow ups seem lackluster by comparison.  Usually it only takes one or two good volleys to saturate the superstructure of a Battleship, for example.

But let's get out our calculators and look at some math.  We'll use the Nagato, Colorado and Scharnhorst's guns to show why sometimes it's just better to sling AP in the Sharnhorst than switching to HE.  But only sometimes.

You can see that in all three cases, an AP round's over penetration damage exceeds that of saturated HE damage.  Does that mean you should always fire AP?  Well, no.  Reality is always more complicated than theory crafting.  HE, of course, has the chance to start fires.  The explosive blast radius can also be rather nice for helping disable modules.  If I see an enemy Battleship blow their Damage Control Party and they're angled to me, I'm quite likely to reach for an HE salvo to try and reignite those blazes and farm some easy damage before switching back to AP.  Against ships I know I cannot penetrate reliably -- again, I will reach for HE.  Small bits of damage are better than no damage, after all.

Typical LWM, saving the day with numbers and thorough explanations.

And believe me, i've seen some of the stuff he's said in other places, including to me iirc. I don't really trust much of what comes from his profile on these forums. Along with several others who have been quite... uh... "enthusiastic" about believing they're right about things that straight up are not true.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that btw. It's nice to know the exact multipliers, on top of those for damage sections of the ship. I actually didn't even know that was a mechanic until a couple months ago.

Alpha Tester
380 posts
3,279 battles

Is there saturation with AP damage?

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

I only shoot AP in my Scharnhorst, I won't be caught dead firing HE for the life of me. HE has its abundant uses but its not a necessity for survival and doing damage. When it comes to ammo its a personal preference.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,320 battles

Hey all, funny story, for 2 days now, I keep getting told to shoot AP (and nothing but) in the Scharnhorst.

Yet unless getting taken out really soon in the match I regularly pull out 75-100k matches... and scoring 1st or top three,

I found that quite funny.

Any of you have stories on how to play while outplaying the whole team ?

( PS: HE + Fire still OP as heck... and it works really well with Scharny ! )

See you guys around and Nice week-end !

EDIT: latest game (love that boat, even if less forgiving than my WarSpite)

Spoiler
4nVHJFD.jpg

It's mostly like a cruiser. Flat broadside AP away, against something angled, better off firing HE, especially against an Angled BB like a Colorado.  That beautiful fire chance plus reload..

BURN BABY BURN!

Beta Testers
297 posts
3,568 battles

i've had tier 5 perfect boardside 740 damage 6 hits lol

[RM-I]
Members
446 posts
5,695 battles

Um wrong. She's not bad ship, but her HE is trash when compared to other tier 7 BBs, and her AP is laughable. Don't just spout off nonsense like that because you had a good game.

Because she has 11in guns, if only she has a 20 second reload to compensate, OH WAIT SHE DOES

She has better DPM then every BB within 2 tiers of her.