You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Size Comparison: Tier 9 Battleships

27 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

Starting off today we will continue down the BB line, expect to see tier 9, 8, and 7 BBs today and I will probably do one bonus one for today as well. I'll give you guys the choice, would you like to see Japanese battleships or Japanese carriers as the bonus one today? Whichever you chose today, carriers or battleships, will be done tomorrow for the Americans. :)

FDG

Iowa

Izumo

GCJGq0b.png

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Hm, they're all pretty close.

Alpha Tester
1,140 posts
2,160 battles

But only one can make it through the Panama canal.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

So if the T9's are all approximately the same size, is there any truth to the GK being significantly bigger than Yamato?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

Any idea why Iowa has the kind of indented bow before widening amidships - hydrodynamics for better speed?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

So if the T9's are all approximately the same size, is there any truth to the GK being significantly bigger than Yamato?

Click.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Yes, GK in game measures 305m long, Yamato measures 263m long. FDG is the H39, H39 was planned to be 911' long and Iowa is 887' long, so they are very close in size, just like in the picture.
Edited by dseehafer

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

But only one can make it through the Panama canal.

Actually, I roughly measured Izumo, and she only seems a bit bigger than Iowa, but not that much

Alpha Tester
1,140 posts
2,160 battles

Actually, I roughly measured Izumo, and she only seems a bit bigger than Iowa, but not that much

What's the width though because the canal was 110 feet wide back then and the Iowa's beam was 108 feet. A bit bigger means the Izumo isn't going to fit.

ss8kqKl.jpg

7t4KmCg.jpg

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

What's the width though because the canal was 110 feet wide back then and the Iowa's beam was 108 feet. A bit bigger means the Izumo isn't going to fit.

ss8kqKl.jpg

7t4KmCg.jpg

those are some nice pictures...

since Izumo was never built, we would never built, so..

*shrug

Alpha Tester
1,140 posts
2,160 battles

those are some nice pictures...

since Izumo was never built, we would never built, so..

*shrug

If they did build her they wouldn't have cared about the width with relation to the Panama canal since they wouldn't need to go through it.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

If they did build her they wouldn't have cared about the width with relation to the Panama canal since they wouldn't need to go through it.

That is right...

[-MOS-]
Alpha Tester
451 posts
4,073 battles

Yes, GK in game measures 305m long, Yamato measures 256m long. FDG is the H39, H39 was planned to be 911' long and Iowa is 887' long, so they are very close in size, just like in the picture.

A special request from me; GK and Amagi pretty please good sir?  :tea_cap:

A friend of mine being an idiot wouldn`t believe that GK was the largest Battleship in the game. He thinks his Amagi is as big as her. :facepalm:

"Don`t forget, Amagi is pretty big too!" - Him

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

A special request from me; GK and Amagi pretty please good sir?  :tea_cap:

A friend of mine being an idiot wouldn`t believe that GK was the largest Battleship in the game. He thinks his Amagi is as big as her. :facepalm:

"Don`t forget, Amagi is pretty big too!" - Him

Very well.

S7XUOnk.png

You best tell him that GK is now the largest ship in the game, being slightly longer than the former largest, USS Midwway

F80DDie.png

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

Yes. Montana is bigger too.

[-MOS-]
Alpha Tester
451 posts
4,073 battles

Very well.

S7XUOnk.png

You best tell him that GK is now the largest ship in the game, being slightly longer than the former largest, USS Midwway

F80DDie.png

5eff1c377f48790ca75a9a9878660481eeb4fde0 

Thanks a lot! :great: 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

due to popular request the image has been updated and all ships are now aligned by the stern

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Yes, GK in game measures 305m long, Yamato measures 256m long. FDG is the H39, H39 was planned to be 911' long and Iowa is 887' long, so they are very close in size, just like in the picture.

Yamato is 256 at the Waterline,  but overall length of 263m.

From the top down like this,  you should refer to the overall length.

~Hunter

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Yamato is 256 at the Waterline,  but overall length of 263m.

From the top down like this,  you should refer to the overall length.

~Hunter

Ah, sorry, just did a quick wiki search and looked at the waterline length not the oa, good eye! Will edit

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Ah, sorry, just did a quick wiki search and looked at the waterline length not the oa, good eye! Will edit

She's my favourite battleship and Historians crowned her the Queen of Battleships.

Of course I'll make sure my info is correct on her xD

Just some friendly help from one history buff to another. 

~Hunter

[REB3L]
Members
31 posts
3,384 battles

The first boat in the image was never manufactured and was larger than the yamato and the Montana, so it would be a Tier 11, the Germans had another 2 bigger battleships in project that surpassed in everything to tirpitz and bismarck , his name in the project were H43 and H44 .

Why would Tier 11 be?

Because this would have 8 guns of 508mm and also thought that it could have about 533mm and as for its other features would have a shield at waist of 380mm of KC Na and a shield on deck of about 330 mm of homogeneous steel Wotan Hart , the H44 could reach 400 meters in length.

Japanese

the Japanese were not left behind and had planned to build 2 super yamato battleships even bigger and better, their project name was A - 150

If they put the Mountana they should add these battleships

Here you can see how the Bismarck would be compared

DKM H-44 1.JPG

Edited by CPT_Alejandra

Members
559 posts
5,464 battles
19 minutes ago, CPT_Alejandra said:

his name in the project were H43 and H44

No. The Japanese destroyed their records, so the A 150 was based on interrogating captured officers. However, Wikipedia has the H 42 at 305 m, the H 43 330 m, and the H 44 at 345m in length. Also I believe it was to have 6 503mm guns, although as it was a hypothetical ship, the armament could have been changed at whim. Different main guns were proposed during the project.

Members
559 posts
5,464 battles

I personally am ready for the next tier, although not many navies have even designed next generation battleships since WWII. I believe more destroyers and cruisers were built, and for sure the Ford class aircraft carrier would be awesome in the game. The Zumwalt class destroyer is under construction currently. But modern navies also rely heavily on submarines. I think higher tiers will have to include submarines. Also there may be a shortage of ship designs post WWII. The H 44 would be interesting to see in action though.