Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Spongeman131

Back With (More) Citadel and General Penetration Questions

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
336 posts

Been going up the German BB line and I have to say I'm scratching my head at my recent failures to reliably damage enemy battleships (while playing German Battleships). Other BBs (including German) seem to have no problem citadelling me from many ranges even if they're in my own ship but I have yet to get a citadel yet when actually aiming for it.

I played Colorado in Beta, lots of games in Tirpitz and Kongo in the Japanese line. Traditionally I've always shot at or slightly below the waterline under smokestacks/near them (for Japanese) or turrets (for Americans). Now I know the Germans have very strong belt armor so it doesn't seem like the waterline trick would work on them. However even on the other nations BBs while shooting at areas that are almost second nature to me, even when the shots do land where I'm aiming and pen I haven't gotten any citadels.

Has the new normalization changes really altered things that much? I'm not really sure where I should be shooting anymore. Do the German BBs really have that bad pen even at ranges <12km? I would have thought the flatter arcs helped somewhat.

And in general what's the best place to shoot for on German BBs? I've heard the back is weak, but you're presented the bow or sides more often than that so are there any weak spots to be looking for there? Even super structure penetrations seem to be sketchy for damage at best.

I feel like I keep asking questions like these and every time I think I've got the hang of it suddenly everything stops working.

Edited by Spongeman131

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

When you feel your aim is off, jumping into training room or even co-op just to re-adjust yourself without much worry can help. Also, taking massive damage =/= a citadel. They could have just penetrated your armor multiple times.

Beta Testers
336 posts

Also, taking massive damage =/= a citadel. They could have just penetrated your armor multiple times.

Many of them have been single shells where the damage was not repairable.

[2GOOD]
Members
942 posts
23,034 battles

Tier for tier, the guns on the German battleships tend to be a smaller calibre than the other nations which in turn reduces the chance of a citadel on the same tier or higher tier ships.

[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,939 posts
27,744 battles

Personally I haven't seen a difference....cits all day long, still targeting same spots as always. Battleships are of course harder to cit in general. I usually target cruisers for that giggly feeling! and then take advantage of the odd BB when they show me their side. Still smokestacks and mags.

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

Been going up the German BB line and I have to say I'm scratching my head at my recent failures to reliably damage enemy battleships (while playing German Battleships). Other BBs (including German) seem to have no problem citadelling me from many ranges even if they're in my own ship but I have yet to get a citadel yet when actually aiming for it.

I played Colorado in Beta, lots of games in Tirpitz and Kongo in the Japanese line. Traditionally I've always shot at or slightly below the waterline under smokestacks/near them (for Japanese) or turrets (for Americans). Now I know the Germans have very strong belt armor so it doesn't seem like the waterline trick would work on them. However even on the other nations BBs while shooting at areas that are almost second nature to me, even when the shots do land where I'm aiming and pen I haven't gotten any citadels.

Has the new normalization changes really altered things that much? I'm not really sure where I should be shooting anymore. Do the German BBs really have that bad pen even at ranges <12km? I would have thought the flatter arcs helped somewhat.

And in general what's the best place to shoot for on German BBs? I've heard the back is weak, but you're presented the bow or sides more often than that so are there any weak spots to be looking for there? Even super structure penetrations seem to be sketchy for damage at best.

I feel like I keep asking questions like these and every time I think I've got the hang of it suddenly everything stops working.

Its normal due to their light weight shell, losses velocity(energy) fairly quickly at ranges.

Beta Testers
336 posts

Its normal due to their light weight shell, losses velocity(energy) fairly quickly at ranges.

What ranges should I be trying to engage at then for enemy battleships? And where should I be shooting on the German ones? The belt armor seems too thick to citadel during broadsides at-same-tier and above and because of the close-range nature of the line, I'm rarely at range to attempt plunging fire.

Edited by Spongeman131

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

What ranges should I be trying to engage at then for enemy battleships? And where should I be shooting on the German ones? The belt armor seems too thick to citadel during broadsides at-same-tier and above and because of the close-range nature of the line, I'm rarely at range to attempt plunging fire.

since WGing likes inventing history, currently the turtle back of all German BBs seem invincible, engaging at range is one option, Secondly, even you can't citadal them, penetrating the main belt would cause quite a lot of regular AP damage as well.

You can try shooting at the water line at some distances, since German BB's belt don't extend underwater much.

For German BB, engage within 10km would maximise the secondary guns and high velocity at close range

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
336 posts

You can try shooting at the water line at some distances, since German BB's belt don't extend underwater much.

For German BB, engage within 10km would maximise the secondary guns and high velocity at close range

Okay, thank you for the tip!

Beta Testers
42 posts
4,988 battles

since WGing likes inventing history, currently the turtle back of all German BBs seem invincible, engaging at range is one option, Secondly, even you can't citadal them, penetrating the main belt would cause quite a lot of regular AP damage as well.

Thanks for the tip! But I have a small question. How far underwater can the shells go while maintaining reasonable penetration (so as to actually hit and do damage, as opposed to just missing)? I normally shoot at the waterline against any ship, so would it be viable to shoot a couple of pixels below the waterline? If there's a video on YouTube or another thread here, a link to it would be lovely. I haven't found anything on this myself.

Beta Testers
336 posts

Thanks for the tip! But I have a small question. How far underwater can the shells go while maintaining reasonable penetration (so as to actually hit and do damage, as opposed to just missing)? I normally shoot at the waterline against any ship, so would it be viable to shoot a couple of pixels below the waterline? If there's a video on YouTube or another thread here, a link to it would be lovely. I haven't found anything on this myself.

I'm finding shots that hit the water instantly disappear... again. It was a bug they fixed awhile back, but replays and following my shells is proving otherwise so I think it's back again. WG should know better than anyone that if a shell hits the spray of water caused by waves or a ships wake it doesn't instantly shatter :sceptic:. The ability to view armor hitboxes in the new layout feature makes it very obvious because there is such a large portion of the ship under water that there is no possible way -arcade or realistic- that the shells could not be hitting anything.

Edited by Spongeman131

Sign in to follow this