You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Carrier_Junyo

So who are the AA Monsters? Who do you "scan for" during loading

12 comments in this topic

Members
738 posts
6,483 battles

I know, one could look at all the stats in the port and figure out a list. But, I'd like to hear personal accounts on what you consider the worst AA ships. 

My worst AA experiences have been striking against the following (from worst experience and descending):

0. Des Moines ( didnt strike against it, i just had to scout it at the end of a match as it was the only ship left)

1. Iowa

2. NC

3. Baltimore

4. Bismarck

5. Atlanta

6. Cleveland

7. Tirpitz/Amagi (AA specced, probably with manual AA captain skill)

8. Chapayev

The above are at the top of my No Fly Zone when I'm scanning for high AA ships during game loading screen.  I've faced a non-AA specced Montana and it was not crazy. I best AA specced one is bad though. Hear bad things about Hindenburg, Zao, and German TIer 9/10 BBs.

WHat are yours?

Edited by lord_of_storms

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Texas

Mikhail Kutuzov

Flint

Montana

Hindenburg

Myoko, somewhat

Gneisenau (apparently)

And the rest you already covered.

Also, i try to avoid most US BBs unless i don't have a choice. Same for US CAs.

Aoba would have been on this list, because her AA used to have a similar performance to Clevelands, but it was nerfed, so whatever..... 

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Also Donskoi, it's got a little better than the Kutuzov. The New Orleans can have pretty good AA, as the defensive fire effects the midrange AA now too. 

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,164 battles

USN BBs in general, but only with the second or third hull

German BBs are supposedly packing good AA as well

USN cruisers at T6+ at all times (I scouted an Atlanta once at the beginning of a match with Independence DBs, I lost the whole squadron before they finished turning around to retreat)

Other nations' cruisers at T6+ until they've popped DF or I've figured out they're not running it (with some exceptions making no-fly zones similar to USN)

USN DDs at T7+, some carry DF but can't hover over them too long regardless

Edited by Flashtirade

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Des Moines. Haven't played a CV against her yet but I have seen her shooting planes down from 7km like they were flies

Members
94 posts
16,643 battles

This is my list

No-fly zone

0. Des Moines

1. Hindenburg

Be careful (I play T8 and T9)

2. Zao

3. Baltimore

4. Chappayev. 

5. Hipper

"I have to drop on him anyway"

6. Montana

7. Iowa

8. Yamato

Better if other go and sink them

9. Atlanta

10. Kutuzov

11. Moskva

12. Ibuki

Special mention: Lexington. I Got 2 "clear-sky pin" with my Lex... with strike load.

Edited by YankeeVictor

Members
441 posts
2,009 battles

I know, one could look at all the stats in the port and figure out a list. But, I'd like to hear personal accounts on what you consider the worst AA ships. 

My worst AA experiences have been striking against the following (from worst experience and descending):

0. Des Moines ( didnt strike against it, i just had to scout it at the end of a match as it was the only ship left)

1. Iowa

2. NC

3. Baltimore

4. Bismarck

5. Atlanta

6. Cleveland

7. Tirpitz/Amagi (AA specced, probably with manual AA captain skill)

8. Chapayev

The above are at the top of my No Fly Zone when I'm scanning for high AA ships during game loading screen.  I've faced a non-AA specced Montana and it was not crazy. I best AA specced one is bad though. Hear bad things about Hindenburg, Zao, and German TIer 9/10 BBs.

WHat are yours?

Do not forget yamato or hindenburg.  My yamato has 100 AA rating, and the minimum range is greater then TB torpedo range.  My Hindenburg is 92.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

-snip-

Don't forget Hindenburg. Hindy's AA is on par with Des Moines'. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
231 posts
10,609 battles

I'm playing a Langley -- a Texas or Wyoming, a Bogue or Zhuiho will melt your planes out of the sky like icecream on a hot metal griddle! Just played a match where the enemy CV didn't use fighters, didn't need to -- I tried a strike on a Texas and lost every damn plane, all x6 DBs and x6 TB for only one torp hit, horrible!! The RDG must have hated me that game...

Edited by EasyEight

[NG-NL]
Members
7,137 posts
12,568 battles

Tried twice to hit the T9 German BB in Shokaku. None of my planes came back even after giving my teammates time to damage his AA.

I disagree on Bismarck. Its AA is concentrated in its longe-range, so fewer dice rolls. I attacked them before in Shokaku and no planes lost. It was a welcome surprise.

1. Kutuzov

2. Des Moines

3. Hindenburg

4. Dimitri Donskoi

5. Admiral Hipper

Hipper is an AA joke until it hits final hull. It also needs to be AA-specced to be dangerous.

Basically all the above ships are dangerous.

[_REKT]
Members
490 posts
4,096 battles

As a simple breakdown, high-tier being sort of 7 and up here (Cleveland gets an  honorable mention for mid-tier games)  Here's my target list in ascending order.

Enemy CV: Leave these for the destroyers to snipe - you're the only thing that can hit it at the snipe,, it's got defensive fire and high-speed, and a damaged carrier is just as dangerous.  You probably can't kill it in one hit, so you're probably better off hitting something the team can too.

High-tier  USN cruisers, targets of last resort - everything else is dead and we're letting pilots die bravely to speed up finishing the match

High-tier USN battleships - is there something else to hit?  Planes will be lost, but a concentrated strike will still do a decent amount of damage

All other high-tier cruisers - Probably more trouble than it's worth.  Defensive fire or not, these can throw out a lot of flack, and are maneuverable enough to make strikes difficult.  If you can bait a DF or they don't have it, okay target.

All other nation's battleships:  Target ships Their AA doesn't have the mid-range density that's perfect for strike ranges, so planes don't tend to die as fast, and knocking down their totals helps remove the big guns for the match - if nothing else, forcing maneuver really helps the team out.

Destroyers: Planes are fueled on tin-can's despair at cross-drops:  Kill these as quickly as possible.  Spot them, target them, cross-drop to weaken them, set them on fire  Yes, it's not going to cause as much damage as a battleship, but dead destroyers allows your team to advance and cap with much less contest, which wins matches at high-level meta