You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sink_Stuff

Better to Just Go Solo - Division Play Not Working for Me.

53 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
14,018 battles

Tonight I had a fantastic night playing my Farragut solo. I got top damage for team multiple times, won a good percent of games and got a lot of credits, xp, and captain xp.

Link to post about it: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/92071-did-someone-say-the-farragut-is-bad/

Then, I decided to try out more division play with a new clan and it was horrible. The team just picked a side and steamed right into the entire enemy team. I played along. It didn't go well.

For the past almost 2 weeks I was divisioned with people from another clan and for the most part it went horrible as well. Now I did just as bad if not worse than a lot of them did. I don't know what happened, I just do great alone and crap while playing in a division with other people. I am starting to suspect that other people have the same problem.

Is Warships a solo game? Is this a game where clans really will never have a purpose? Is division play simply a gimmick not worth the effort?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

I generally do better in Divisions then solo .  The win rate for me and the people I division with is ~80% .

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
8,222 battles

Sounds like you just can't find good div mates? A group of three players that can coordinate their strengths can make a massive impact in the game. My solo win rate is 56%, my win rate in a 2-man division is nearly 62% and my 3-man division win rate is almost 71%. I am mostly grouping up with my clan mates.

Members
652 posts
13,884 battles

A lot of the time, players in a division do better together because of the communication. I think it may just be the players you are with may just be poor when it comes to the game. Most of the time when the whole team sticks together, things don't always go too well.At the end of the day you should do what makes you have better games / more fun.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

When you achieve a certain level of synergy with your division mates it can be quite fun. For a division to be effective, you want to be on voice comms and coordinating at all times. Less banter and more succinct tactical comms is the key to success. After a while you tend to work it out if you play enough with the same people.

I also noticed that divisions work best with ships of different types: not only do they complement each other by offering a viable counter to anything you might run into, but they also tend to compete less for similar types of damage.

Edited by gurudennis

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

It sounds like you just haven't found the right div mates.

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Tonight I had a fantastic night playing my Farragut solo. I got top damage for team multiple times, won a good percent of games and got a lot of credits, xp, and captain xp.

Link to post about it: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/92071-did-someone-say-the-farragut-is-bad/

Then, I decided to try out more division play with a new clan and it was horrible. The team just picked a side and steamed right into the entire enemy team. I played along. It didn't go well.

For the past almost 2 weeks I was divisioned with people from another clan and for the most part it went horrible as well. Now I did just as bad if not worse than a lot of them did. I don't know what happened, I just do great alone and crap while playing in a division with other people. I am starting to suspect that other people have the same problem.

Is Warships a solo game? Is this a game where clans really will never have a purpose? Is division play simply a gimmick not worth the effort?

Divisioning is the most OP dynamic in WoWs next to being a highly skilled player.

I am a terrible division player...

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

Funny. You find a clan full of idiots and decide that divisioning isn't for you. Ie: you run out of gas so you might as well buy a new car. 

Just another negative thread created by a guy who is literally going to complain about everything. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
14,018 battles

Funny. You find a clan full of idiots and decide that divisioning isn't for you. Ie: you run out of gas so you might as well buy a new car. 

Just another negative thread created by a guy who is literally going to complain about everything. 

The clans were not full of idiots. I completely admit that I made perhaps more mistakes in division than they did. Its the entire teamspeak constantly talking group play dynamic that I don't seem to be able to get right. And I am not the only one. I saw a lot of people who also did better solo than group play as well. I am not blaming the clans. They were actually great people. I got along with all of them. I blame myself and the fact that group play in WOWS seems to do more harm than good.  

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Go look at KamiSamurai's stats on warshipstoday. The only reason he shows up with an 80% WR is because he constantly plays in a div with his friends. Meanwhile, I'm at only 63%, with my div games bringing my WR from my solo games up to that point. Div with people you know / trust, not random people.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
14,018 battles

Divisioning is the most OP dynamic in WoWs next to being a highly skilled player.

I am a terrible division player...

Yes, you are right, people who division well can have epic games. But of all the divisions that I was in and played against do you know how many epic divisions I have seen? About 10 in 800 games. That is how rare a good division group is. So far, the search to either find good division mates or make myself one just does not seem worth it. Maybe i need to become a better player myself first? Maybe i just drag down every group that I am with. Maybe I simply don't have enough experience to work in a division correctly? Maybe I am just too much of a solo player. But I do far far far better solo so far than in any division.
Edited by Rounne

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

They did what they always did on a particular map- disregarding the way the map played out as we all know it can do differently. It didn't work for them- and it didn't work for you. Frankly if that's the way the clan presses every map they're all idiots. Steer clear. 

Occasionally their "one" move will work out- even  a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. 

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Yes, you are right, people who division well can have epic games. But of all the divisions that I was in and played against do you know how many epic divisions I have seen? About 10 in 800 games. That is how rare a good division group is. So far, the search to either find good division mates or make myself one just does not seem worth it. Maybe i need to become a better player myself first? Maybe i just drag down every group that I am with. Maybe I simply don't have enough experience to work in a division correctly? Maybe I am just too much of a solo player. But I do far far far better solo so far than in any division.

First of all, do you play as a team player solo? Second, does your attitude and gameplay change drastically when you division with your friends? 

If yes to the first, good. If no, then you need to shape up that part of yourself.

If yes to first & yes to second, then you need to ease yourself up. If yes to first & no to second, then keep doing what you're doing.

[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
24,591 battles

Playing with people you work well with and who are also good players leads to excellent results that you can't get with solo play. Similarly, divisioning with people you don't know well, don't work well with, and who are below average players will lead to below average results.

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
14,018 battles

First of all, do you play as a team player solo? Second, does your attitude and gameplay change drastically when you division with your friends? 

If yes to the first, good. If no, then you need to shape up that part of yourself.

If yes to first & yes to second, then you need to ease yourself up. If yes to first & no to second, then keep doing what you're doing.

Yes and no. In my Atlanta I try to help with AA and then people tell me to get lost because they want to kill the planes themselves. So i leave and then a DD torps them and they scream for help. When i play a destroyer i try to smoke for battleships, but it never works. I even tell them that I am going to smoke for them and they just plow right through it as if it wasn't there.

I have tried on hundreds of occasions to help my team mates in pub games. But 90% of the time it is a completely waste of my consumables, health, or time to do so. So i guess I am really not a good division mate so far because i hare trained myself to do my own thing because of all the newbs in the game who don't even understand that you are trying to help them, let alone appreciate the help when it works out well for them. Most people who play this game are completely solo players. After 13000 games in WOT i have learned to instinctively help the team. But this game has just beat it out of me to really help others. 

Thank you for the thoughts and comments though. After writing this i can clearly see that I am not a good division player. I need to play a lot more and perhaps higher tiers away from so many noobs will trigger me to help random people more.

Members
2,393 posts
4,253 battles

*checks personal stats*

52% WR solo

48% WR div

That being said, I have much more fun in div, especially if it's the welder, get sniped, seeknstrike, or stauffenburg. 

Edited by TheSupremeOne34

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

The people in this game that all claim they are pros because they have super-high winrates (which seriously doesn't determine individual player skill but I digress) all do so by running divisions and tryharding. So yes, divisioning is worthwhile as when done correctly with skilled players it raises your effectiveness- exponentially even I'd say. The general idea is the same as doing a job in real life. When there's two people there everything goes more quickly and efficiently and it's less tiring.

But imo the biggest benefit is just the fun aspect of it. This game is 1000x more bearable when you know there is a 0% chance your ENTIRE team will end up as potatos, and that if you play your cards right they can all sink for all you care and you'll still be able to win with your division alone. Much more relaxing.

• Cool 1

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,703 posts
14,166 battles

OP what I have noticed recently is I perform better in my DDs when solo pubbing. Granted solo pubbing in a DD I find it a bit harder to get wins. Not sure exactly why but I get better damage output and XP. However when I am in my BBs and cruisers I tend to do much better in a division. Yes the damage output isn't as high because we tend to stick closer to each other and "share" damage but we get more wins and are much more aware of the mini-map and knowing when to flex back to defend a base.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
14,018 battles

OP what I have noticed recently is I perform better in my DDs when solo pubbing. Granted solo pubbing in a DD I find it a bit harder to get wins. Not sure exactly why but I get better damage output and XP. However when I am in my BBs and cruisers I tend to do much better in a division. Yes the damage output isn't as high because we tend to stick closer to each other and "share" damage but we get more wins and are much more aware of the mini-map and knowing when to flex back to defend a base.

There might be something to this. Someone else mentioned that divisions are better with certain ship makeup selections. I wish I could have the data for all divisions so that I could see what divisions of players tend to do the best.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,655 posts
12,533 battles

I sometime try to be the unofficial fourth member of a division.   A quick look at the MM, see where the game is going to spawn me, and try to figure out which way to go.  If there's a three-man division (or even a two-man), I'll meander over, follow their gameplay, and add my guns to their collective.   Hey, if it works on improving their WTR, it'll probably have similar effect to mine.     Out of 1800+ games, I think I may have a total of three division games.   But plenty of unofficially fourth-man play.

Edited by DiddleDum

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

The people in this game that all claim they are pros because they have super-high winrates (which seriously doesn't determine individual player skill but I digress) all do so by running divisions and tryharding. 

Points at self and smiles egotisticaly.

[APOC]
Alpha Tester
1,943 posts
7,916 battles

Looks at OP signature and stats. Shakes head.

At some point on must stop blaming others for their own shortcomings. 

Beta Testers
282 posts
4,998 battles

My WR is barely different between solo and division (61% to 63%), I play exactly the same either way. I prefer a division on voice comms, because solo is boring as all hell though.