Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AyaPoi

Role of CV, BB, CA, and DD

19 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

After losing so many high tier matches in a row, I think it is time for me to post a discussion about the roles of each ship. I am not an expert in game tactics, moreover I am not that great of player of WOWS, but I really enjoy the game, so I wish this discussion could help others.

Here are my understanding of each role:

CV: the role of CV is crucial for provide first sight of enemy fleet (where are their main force, how many of them, where are each ship heading). All these information can help the team to determine where the main threat is, so the team can have better understanding of situation and choose to sail and fight at which direction. 

Secondly, CV's job is to spot DD. DD is game changer, one enemy DD could distracts the entire team while enemy main force sneak attack from the back. Hunting DDs is not soley a CAs or DDs job, but CVs as well. I do not ask CV player to be good at hunting DD, but I do ask for CV player to spot enemy DD as long as possible, especially the DD that is consider as potential threat to allied ships.

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

DD: if there are no CVs in the game, it is DD's job to perform what CV does: scout for the first sight of enemy, while all the other ships are slow and easily to be spotted, DD's high concealment can spy on enemy action while providing sight for allied ships, so they could focus fire. Moreover, DDs are also crucial on cappping for points, other ships are too easy to be spotted and get reset. So DD players, PLEASE and PLEASE cap cap!!

DDs can also use smoke to provide a safe haven for allied ships to recover and fire, BUT, please do not pop smoke out in the front, allied ships can lost enemy target, and allied ships can get into the smoke for shelter.

DDs are extremely important in the game because they are game changer, if all our DDs die...it is very likely a defeat for the team.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

CVs don't even need to deliberately spot. Just flying their planes around the map provides a crapton of vision.

Certainly, stalking DDs helps (a lot, and it's completely unrewarded), but again, not absolutely nessesary.

Also, since everyone has situational awareness now, competent CVs are entirely immune from being hunted by enemy DDs (i.e. you're positioned close enough to your team that they can support you).

The biggest misconception, imo, is that CAs hunt for and screen DDs. That's not a CA role, that's a DD role. CAs are there to provide supporting fire for.....basically everyone.

• Cool 1

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

CA: Cruisers can do so many things in the game, they could hunt DD, kill enemy cruisers, burn BBs, and provide AA support for allied ships, especially battleships. 

CAs job are to hunt DD, provide artillery support and as well AA support. Once enemy DD is spotted, CAs are responsible to hunt it down before it gets close to ally ships. 

There is misconception that CV is mainly responsible for AA to cover the entire fleet, but that is not true. While fighters are effective against dive bombers and torp planes, but they can run out of ammo and require time to reload. BUT CAs are always in the front line with the BBs, so CAs can always provide AA for allied battleships. 

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

DDs don't have as much impact as you might think. Yes, when you lose all your destroyers it becomes harder for other ships to fill this role, especially if there are still 2 or more DDs on the other team. The same can be said for losing any class completely in a match. As far as roles, nothing is concrete like that. Battles fluctuate and needs change. The role of everyone is to recognize opportunity.

• Cool 1

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

BBs: Use your big guns to kill!! But in the high tier games, BBs are always sit back and snipe ( and most of them are not even good snipers)

BBs role is to pressure enemy force to retreat by using the fire power, while acts as a shield for ally ships, so CAs and DDs could perform their tasks. 

It is really dumb to reverse in front of enemy, because then you are only getting focus fire to death.

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

Well, these are my understanding of each role, but I am sure others have better understanding than me, this is what this post about: open discussion for roles of each ship, so everyone can learn.

Edited by AyaPoi

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

DDs don't have as much impact as you might think. Yes, when you lose all your destroyers it becomes harder for other ships to fill this role, especially if there are still 2 or more DDs on the other team. The same can be said for losing any class completely in a match. As far as roles, nothing is concrete like that. Battles fluctuate and needs change. The role of everyone is to recognize opportunity.

Indeed, there are no rigid roles, but I doubt most of the captains have any idea what their ships do....

Members
11 posts
6,278 battles

CVs don't even need to deliberately spot. Just flying their planes around the map provides a crapton of vision.

Certainly, stalking DDs helps (a lot, and it's completely unrewarded), but again, not absolutely nessesary.

Also, since everyone has situational awareness now, competent CVs are entirely immune from being hunted by enemy DDs (i.e. you're positioned close enough to your team that they can support you).

The biggest misconception, imo, is that CAs hunt for and screen DDs. That's not a CA role, that's a DD role. CAs are there to provide supporting fire for.....basically everyone.

But still, not every DD is gunboat...especially the IJN DDs...they can be easily kill one on one match facing gunboat DDs...

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

CAs have rapid fire and are more adept at taking down DDs fast.  Its not their responsibilty... but it certainly adds to a match if they help here.  Also, a fighter spec CV should intentionally scout.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I think that WG should rethink how 2 CVs on different teams interact with each other. Right now there are AS carriers, whose sole purpose is to shut down the other carrier. This is a bad way to balance the game, because Strike vs AS will always end with the strike carrier doing bad. Instead of having AS/ Balanced/ Strike, we could remove the AS carriers and only have Balanced and Strike. Strike CVs would go for maximum damage, while Balanced loadouts can be useful for spotting or discouraging enemy bombers from attacking an area, but would not be able to shut them down like the current AS loadouts can. 

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

In practice, there is no such thing as roles...battleships have to shoot destroyers, destroyers have to attack cruisers, and cruisers have to engage battleships, while carriers are left to fend for themselves rather than supporting the team.

Plans crumble with enemy contact...and who knows how things would go afterwards.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

But still, not every DD is gunboat...especially the IJN DDs...they can be easily kill one on one match facing gunboat DDs...

IJN DDs at high tiers are not to be underestimated.

A Shimakaze with BFT will beat out a stock Udaloi's DPM, while maintaining invisispam capability, unlike Udaloi.

Throw on the 3m credit DPM module and you can get Shimakaze's reload down to ~5-6 seconds, which, combined with excellent IJN HE, will do some serious damage. Won't be able to duel worth a damn though.

IJN DDs can be built as fairly deadly gunboats, although, like their torp boat capabilities, this is mostly useful for attacking heavy ships rather than duelling other DDs Low HP and poor maneuverability sees to that.

CAs have rapid fire and are more adept at taking down DDs fast.  Its not their responsibilty... but it certainly adds to a match if they help here.  Also, a fighter spec CV should intentionally scout.

"Rapid fire" doesn't really exist with high tier CAs - other than Des Moine.

Even Hindenburg and Moskva take 10s to reload, which can be a lifetime if your target is a DD blinking in and out.

And with a Des Moine, the shell arcs impact how effectively they can take a DD down.

At high tiers, if you want a DD dead, it's either "surprise! Gearing at 6 km!" or you chase them down in a Khab. "Surprise! Zao!" also works, but that's far more situational.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Here's a somewhat simplified model.

BB:

Target cruisers and battleships (usually in that order). Look for opportunities to deliver powerful alpha strikes to anything that is still afloat. Act as an area denial tool on the defense and work closely with your team when pushing. Tank (without overindulging). A lone BB whose friends sink to enemy fire is a dead BB.

CA:

Target destroyers first, then all other ships. Depending on nation and tier you will be more effective against BBs or CAs: pick your targets accordingly. Act as a multi-tool by plugging the holes in your team's strategy and reacting to stimuli. Don't push unless you have reliable close support.

USN/VMF DD:

Take capture points. Even if you do nothing else, you're already uniquely contributing to a win. As a second priority, hunt enemy DDs and spot enemies for your team. As a third priority, harass larger surface ships with gunfire and torpedoes and be sure to light them on fire. Act as an area denial tool on the defense.

IJN DD:

Take capture points if at all possible. You may need close support to do it. As a second priority, spot enemies and torpedo large surface ships. Remain invisible unless enemies are distracted or vulnerable.

CV strike loadout:

Destroy enemy ships in the order of decreasing importance in terms of ship strength, strategic positioning and player skill (sometimes you can tell). Spot DDs for your team. Don't be shy to dedicate an entire discharged dive bomber squadron to permanently light up a DD until she dies or lays smoke.

CV air superiority / balanced loadout:

Neutralize the enemy strike planes. Protect high value targets on your team (same ranking as above). Spot enemy DDs and keep them lit up (just like above). Use your strike planes to attack strategically important targets.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,128 posts
30,890 battles

CA: Cruisers can do so many things in the game, they could hunt DD, kill enemy cruisers, burn BBs, and provide AA support for allied ships, especially battleships. 

CAs job are to hunt DD, provide artillery support and as well AA support. Once enemy DD is spotted, CAs are responsible to hunt it down before it gets close to ally ships. 

There is misconception that CV is mainly responsible for AA to cover the entire fleet, but that is not true. While fighters are effective against dive bombers and torp planes, but they can run out of ammo and require time to reload. BUT CAs are always in the front line with the BBs, so CAs can always provide AA for allied battleships. 

Cruisers going out to hunt DDs is dangerous business the higher tier you go.  That involves a Cruiser sticking his neck out of concealment so his short ranged consumables has a chance to find the DD.  As he does this, the Cruiser attracts an unholy amount of gunfire on top of the torpedoes the DDs may drop.

My Roon should be an ace in hunting DDs.  Long range guns with flat shell arcs, high velocity shells, 8.8s reloads.  He sports German Hydroacoustic, should be among the best in the game.  Yet the DDs will see my Roon from way further out and evade detection, all while spotting the German Cruiser for the BBs further back to nail into oblivion.

Beta Testers
804 posts
981 battles

In practice, there is no such thing as roles...battleships have to shoot destroyers, destroyers have to attack cruisers, and cruisers have to engage battleships, while carriers are left to fend for themselves rather than supporting the team.

Plans crumble with enemy contact...and who knows how things would go afterwards.

Truth, In most games anyways.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

In theory:

DDs: Cap things, kill BBs.

CA: Kill DDs, provide AA.

BB: Deal heavy damage, tank some hits.

CV: AA cover, fire support

In reality:

DD: Delete distracted cruisers.

CA: Delete broadsided cruisers.

BB: Delete angled cruisers.

CV: Wait until all cruisers are dead and kill whatever you want.

• Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

DD: Delete distracted cruisers.

CA: Delete broadsided cruisers.

BB: Delete angled cruisers.

CV: Wait until all cruisers are dead and kill whatever you want.

This..... is so true......

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Here is what I see from my new, shiny, mostly untested captain's chair:

CVs - carry your team; how you spot, dominate the air, and crush high value targets can easily decide the match...good or bad.

BBs - kill other BBs, smash CAs, try not to get torped by CVs or DDs...maybe shoot some planes down and stuff

DDs - don't get seen, kill everything...all of the things...all the time...torpedoes, smoke, fires...kill, kill, kill...quietly

CAs - pray no one finds you, hope maybe the red DDs are potatoes, shoot some planes perhaps...die badly, crying in rage at the cruel world

Sign in to follow this