You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TurboT

Torpedoes in the Water

6 comments in this topic

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,839 battles

Hi All,

I'm fairly certain when I started playing this game way back in Beta Weekends and beyond, that when a ship was "spotted" and within it's detect ability range it's torpedoes fired were also spotted immediately upon hitting the water.   I remember many times watching the torp icons appear by the ship as they fired torps.  I thought this was a fair mechanic in the game, honestly, because I'm sure if you can 'see the ship' you would notice the torps being dropped as well.

I just got caught with my pants down.  I made a mistake.  I killed a DD who was running away from me, and had about three ships on my left, I needed to turn to angle them (was in Scharn) and as I was completing my turn the Destroyer I just killed torps appeared.   He made an excellent last ditch play to send torps to the side of me, so I'd turn into them.  He had to guess which way I'd go and guessed right.  Not complaining about that.... but it really did get me thinking about this, and wonder when this change happened in the game.

This is not to bash anyone or try to bring the DD Mafia out in full force, but it seems impossible to me that a ship fighting another ship from 5km would fail to see the torps fired.  I think they should be immediately spotted under these circumstances, and I'd like to know when this change happened, and why.. 

Edited by TurboT

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

I don't recall ever seeing the torps immediately after being launched from a spotted ship unless that ship was tossing them within the detection range of the torpedoes themselves.

EDIT: This is why I always pay very good attention in binocular view as to whether or not torpedo tubes are moving.

Edited by Stratego89

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I don't think it ever went away, the distance for it to happen just got smaller.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

I think the set torpedo spot distance is fair, considering that hydro can still spot them - and if a DD manages to get that close to you, they should have an advantage with the torpedoes, especially against a battleship.

Alpha Tester
645 posts
696 battles

Im pretty sure that never happened in beta weekend test.All torpedoes were supposed to have significantly reduced detection range compared nowdays  back then untill it has been significantly increased in patch 3.0 (the patch that started the Closed Beta phase) before it has been slightly reduced in one of the patch  + 5.0