You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kitsunelegend

Making detonations better

18 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

So, after watching this video numerous times, I figured it could be a great example on how to make detonations better and more fun. Make them something that negates the fact you just got knocked out before you could even do anything. (I do understand the hate, but I still feel they add something extra to the game)

So, at about this part of the video...

I'm sorry about the Warspite mouse...I hope it wasn't your's.... :hiding:

I thought that adding that kind of flare to detonations could lessen the "impact" so to speak, and make them a little more fun for everyone. Add in the idea that LWM had for them (which I cannot seem to track down atm) (quoted below) in terms of having a chance to stop them, and we could very much have a winner on our hands. 

So what do you guys think? Want to see something like this when a ship gets its powder stores ignited? 

LWM's idea:

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I would personally prefer that Detonations be a two-stage event.

1. The Detonation begins with a cordite / ammunition fire.
    Ship takes an immediate massive hit to their hit points.  Affected weapon mount(s) are immediately destroyed.  Ship begins hemorrhaging more at an alarming rate, leading to the complete depletion of any remaining HP in a very short time (within 4 seconds).  The initial damage and all damage-over-time effects are treated as citadel damage for the purposes of recovery from the Repair Party consumable (10%).
  2. Graphically, a large column of flame jets out from the affected weapon mount where the detonation was sourced.  This gives players immediate feedback that horrible things are going on.  It also lets the person who fired the shot go "whoa, look what I just did...!"
  3. The affected player may use their Damage Control Party to immediately halt the cordite burn.  This is the only way to save a ship and requires the player to be fast with their reflexes.  This represents some heroic effort on behalf of the crew to flood the magazine and save the ship, like what happened historically with the HMS Lion at Jutland.  Note that a ship that has done this can still be detonated by a subsequent hit.
  4. If the player does not or cannot stop the damage over time effect, when the ship reaches zero hit points, it graphically explodes in a horrendous kablooie, perhaps visible from space.  Everyone on the map should know that someone just detonated.  Yeah.  That big.

This means that anyone causing a Detonation is rewarded by doing a MASSIVE amount of damage to a ship.  A ship on less than half or low health probably won't have enough time to be able to use their Damage Control Party to survive the crippling hit, but a full health or near full health vessel may still have a chance to recover.  Visually, the impacts will be more spectacular, with immediate feedback not only to the player being detonated but the player that caused the detonation.  You can bet if they see the cordite fire plume jetting out from where  they hit the target that they'll be trying to aim for that point in the future.

Edited by Kitsunelegend
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

Here you go:

I would personally prefer that Detonations be a two-stage event.

1. The Detonation begins with a cordite / ammunition fire.
    Ship takes an immediate massive hit to their hit points.  Affected weapon mount(s) are immediately destroyed.  Ship begins hemorrhaging more at an alarming rate, leading to the complete depletion of any remaining HP in a very short time (within 4 seconds).  The initial damage and all damage-over-time effects are treated as citadel damage for the purposes of recovery from the Repair Party consumable (10%).
  2. Graphically, a large column of flame jets out from the affected weapon mount where the detonation was sourced.  This gives players immediate feedback that horrible things are going on.  It also lets the person who fired the shot go "whoa, look what I just did...!"
  3. The affected player may use their Damage Control Party to immediately halt the cordite burn.  This is the only way to save a ship and requires the player to be fast with their reflexes.  This represents some heroic effort on behalf of the crew to flood the magazine and save the ship, like what happened historically with the HMS Lion at Jutland.  Note that a ship that has done this can still be detonated by a subsequent hit.
  4. If the player does not or cannot stop the damage over time effect, when the ship reaches zero hit points, it graphically explodes in a horrendous kablooie, perhaps visible from space.  Everyone on the map should know that someone just detonated.  Yeah.  That big.

This means that anyone causing a Detonation is rewarded by doing a MASSIVE amount of damage to a ship.  A ship on less than half or low health probably won't have enough time to be able to use their Damage Control Party to survive the crippling hit, but a full health or near full health vessel may still have a chance to recover.  Visually, the impacts will be more spectacular, with immediate feedback not only to the player being detonated but the player that caused the detonation.  You can bet if they see the cordite fire plume jetting out from where  they hit the target that they'll be trying to aim for that point in the future.

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

Add in the idea that LWM had for them (which I cannot seem to track down atm) in terms of having a chance to stop them, and we could very much have a winner on our hands. 

This? http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/89626-fun-and-engaging-game-mechanics/page__st__40__p__2187601#entry2187601

It's actually one of the most updated posts on the forums... WG, pls?

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,530 battles

If you mean more destructive chaos and shockwave... hell yes I want it. #ReadyToSeeYamatoBreakInHalf

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

LWM's idea sounds like pure awesomeness to me... I wouldn't even care that I got detonated if I got to see that.

[BONKZ]
Members
887 posts
11,701 battles

Which would be tragically hilarious if it happens to you while in the Arizona......

Even worse when you realize that dive bombers can deontate it as well :P

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

If only the video size was 1920x1080. Would've made such an awesome login video.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Detonations as is are a crap mechanic that have no place in a game.

No amount of eye candy, or after the fact nonsense will change that.

The only way to improve detonations is to change how they're triggered, to give players more of a say in if they get detonated or not.

i.e., shots that would, under current mechanics, detonate. would instead apply a mark, visible to everyone. If the marked ship has it's magazine spaces penetrated. it then detonates. If it avoids cit pens for the next 40 seconds or so, the mark poofs.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Here you go:

Ah there we go, thank you! =D

Ima go edit that into my post o7

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Need to look like this:

If you slow that down to .25 speed and watch the explosion...you can see just how big some of the pieces of steel that were blown into the air....and then when you realize all those little dots on her hull during the explosion are people...

Well, now you know why WG doesn't want to put crew members on board the ships if they want to keep their rating where its at currently.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,090 battles

If you slow that down to .25 speed and watch the explosion...you can see just how big some of the pieces of steel that were blown into the air....and then when you realize all those little dots on her hull during the explosion are people...

Well, now you know why WG doesn't want to put crew members on board the ships if they want to keep their rating where its at currently.

I'm not talking about people, but the size and devastation of the explosion, that would be EPIC to watch large chunks of ship to go flying through the air.

[TSU]
Members
267 posts
3,370 battles

I know this isn't OT, but Issm has a point. The detonation mechanic as it stands is  counter productive to WG's goals of making WoWs a full on popular esport and should be considered for removal. No, I'm not someone who has been detonated too many times and is butthurt, in fact it's only happened to me a hand full of times over about 1500 battles. But at least in ranked play, the mechanic should be removed. Hardly sporting/skillful to be able to just have someone vaporized because RNGeezus decides to flip someone the bird. 

That being said, for non ranked battle I think the proposal is cool. 1) It lets the victim know wthis happening. and 2) gives them at least some chance (however small) to avert the disaster. 3) Would look effing cool.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I'm not talking about people, but the size and devastation of the explosion, that would be EPIC to watch large chunks of ship to go flying through the air.

I know, I was just pointing that out after watching the video. I'm weird, sure me. =P

I know this isn't OT, but Issm has a point. The detonation mechanic as it stands is  counter productive to WG's goals of making WoWs a full on popular esport and should be considered for removal. No, I'm not someone who has been detonated too many times and is butthurt, in fact it's only happened to me a hand full of times over about 1500 battles. But at least in ranked play, the mechanic should be removed. Hardly sporting/skillful to be able to just have someone vaporized because RNGeezus decides to flip someone the bird. 

That being said, for non ranked battle I think the proposal is cool. 1) It lets the victim know wthis happening. and 2) gives them at least some chance (however small) to avert the disaster. 3) Would look effing cool.

I don't want detonations completely gone. For esport play, fine, but for normal play in randoms and such, leave it in. It adds something extra to the game like ammo racking a tank in WoT adds something extra there.

Members
848 posts
6,899 battles

The explosion of HMS Barham is one of the most powerful non-nuclear explosions ever caught on film. So regardless of whether detonations have a place in-game, the magazine detonations should be much, much more powerful (in pyrotechnics) and spectacular.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

Detonations as is are a crap mechanic that have no place in a game.

No amount of eye candy, or after the fact nonsense will change that.

The only way to improve detonations is to change how they're triggered, to give players more of a say in if they get detonated or not.

i.e., shots that would, under current mechanics, detonate. would instead apply a mark, visible to everyone. If the marked ship has it's magazine spaces penetrated. it then detonates. If it avoids cit pens for the next 40 seconds or so, the mark poofs.

So then players will adopt single gun fire against ships. If one of the shells in the first shot hit the citadel, the remaining guns that fired after (in the air with ~3 second spacing between eachother) could also hit the citadel which is now marked.

Detonations aren't supposed to be something the victim can control, beyond normal angling and avoiding shells. There are ways to make detonations better and still hold that previous statement true, your solution is not one of them.

As far as LWM idea kit, it can definitely work that way. It might be a little too reflex based for common players though.