You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
rustydawg

Make torpedo hits more realistic

WG please make torpedo blast more realistic.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. WG please make torpedo blast more realistic.

15 comments in this topic

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles

Here' actual footage of a torpedo hit on a Perry Class FFG. Notice the bow jump out of the water and the giant gusher of an explosion splash!

Take note of how much rust there isn't on a old target ship. Oh those type of FFG's were brand new when I was in the US Navy, I feel old- well maybe because I am..LOL

Here's a video from WW2 sub action.

Here's a video of US Sub shooting a Torpedo in a Japanese Sub.

Edited by rustydawg

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Make it like the New Orleans after the battle of Tassafaronga. Everything until the Second turret gone. Not just disabled but gone. Like rusting on the ocean floor. Add this and we can hear them crying

[APOC]
[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,119 battles

That's not the same kind of torp, you're looking at years of advancements. Maybe make a bigger splash but I don't need to bounce out of the water.

Edited by GG_Bootcamp
  • Cool 1

Members
1,776 posts
6,776 battles

Something like this when I hit something with my Kagero? Would be nice to see better animations (if that is how its called), like the earlier suggest detonations. Though I rather see more nations being added in a shorter period of time we have now...

giphy.gif

Off topic: for some reason Wargaming disables the photos I want to use from other sites. Does anyone know why? Sorry that the gif above doesn't work that great with the way I had to use now :amazed:

Edited by joris92

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles

I'll look up some WW2 torpedo hits, from what I remember some were even larger than the video I put up.

Back in a few minutes.

Here's one to hold you all over.

http://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii1264

Click on the picture when you get to the site and it will enlarge it.

Edited by rustydawg

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

Something like this when I hit something with my Kagero? Would be nice to see better animations (if that is how its called), like the earlier suggest detonations. Though I rather see more nations being added in a shorter period of time we have now...

giphy.gif

Off topic: for some reason Wargaming disables the photos I want to use from other sites. Does anyone know why? Sorry that the gif above doesn't work that great with the way I had to use now :amazed:

WG has reasons for not allowing photos from certain sites, and I don't know why.

Best way to upload is to make a imgur account and download those photos and link them

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

giphy.gif

The forums limits image links to only a few websites, normally you'll have to upload them to imgur and use that link, but I know that wikipedia images work. Also, you can use .gif links, but from what I've seen, imgur's .gifv links don't work.

• Cool 1

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles

watches video*:look:

wrong era son, wrong era!:facepalm:

I used that video for an example. The Perry class frigates were the same size of WW2 destroyers give or take a few feet.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

I used that video for an example. The Perry class frigates were the same size of WW2 destroyers give or take a few feet.

The problem is the ADCAP Torpedo uses a totally different fuse mechanism than the ship launched torpedoes of WWII.  Specifically the ADCAP was designed to detonate UNDER a warship and break the keel.  The Mark 8 and later the Mark 15 used contact detonators designed to detonate only if they contacted something solid.  Some early war torpedoes used magnetic influence fuses but they were notoriously unreliable (not that the first replacement contact fuses were much better) and could be passed under the keel of an enemy ship but they rarely detonated correctly.  It was far easier for USN DD, PT boat and Sub captains to launch contact torps and get more reliable hits than to try and use the magnetic "pistols" (as they were called) to detonate the fish under the keel.  I'm not sure ANY navy in WWII really perfected magnetic pistols and it would be well after the war that they saw much widespread use due to dud rates.

That's probably the biggest problem with the argument... also the ADCAP is significantly more advanced with regards to it's explosive composition.  IE:  Far more deadly.

EDIT:  Now as a BB and DD captain, I'd argue that if our goal is to mess around with torpedo lethality and make them more lethal, then we need to get rid of really shallow angle of impact torpedo detonations (IE: Nearly hitting the ship parallel) or torpedoes going off when a ship splits them in half (happens all the time to us BB captains).  Neither would produce an explosion like in the game.

Edited by UrPeaceKeeper

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles

I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. All I think the game needs is a bigger splash, and the spray last about 15 seconds, when the torpedo hits. Also the gun splashes, mainly the large guns, should be larger and last about 20 seconds. Just google WW2 footage of the battles and check out the gun splashes from near misses. Most appear to be around 400 to 600 feet high from the large caliber guns, and around 100 feet height from the 5" sizes.

WG has great detail on most everything else, it would be nice if they paid more attention to the splashes. Torpedo damage is good.

I know the difference between the new torpedo's and the WW2 torps.(night and day basically).

This pictures should rest my case, that's a carrier getting hit the splash seems to be around 600 to 800 feet high.

http://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii1264

Edited by rustydawg

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I agree. While WWII era weapons might not be That insane, they certainly make bigger booms than what we have in the game now. It was an issue for naval gunnery that near misses often obscured the target with the splashes.

That, along with the fact detonations should cause massive explosions that send plumes of smoke and debris hundreds of feet into the air with an ear-splitting (just not told citadel sound please anything but) blast!

I'm not gonna lie, I love big explosions... I'm a pyro :child: