Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LOVESOCK307

Struggling in GK

16 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
61 posts
7,511 battles

Anyone else having issues getting wins in the GK? I've avg'd 118k dmg over 27 matches and I'm finding it really difficult to get wins. Running an 18pt captain with CE focus. Anyone else finding success in a different build or play style? I play it just like a Montana. I don't want to make this one of those "Its my team not me" posts but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Lol tell me its bad teams and not just me! 

Members
5,202 posts

You seem to be doing quite well in the Großer. I suspect your WR woes are the result of your team as it appears you're pulling your weight. You're averaging 32k more damage in the GK than the Montana. That's not a small number. You're also more accurate with your guns and are sinking more ships. Doesn't seem like you're doing anything wrong. 

Unfortunately, the brawling play style of the German BBs doesn't suit the current NA meta very well. The addition of hydro is supposed to let you close the distance with the enemy with more confidence, but doing so quickly gets you focused. At least you've got a massive HP pool, eh?

Do you have replays? 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
61 posts
7,511 battles

You seem to be doing quite well in the Großer. I suspect your WR woes are the result of your team as it appears you're pulling your weight. You're averaging 32k more damage in the GK than the Montana. That's not a small number. 

Unfortunately, the brawling play style of the German BBs doesn't suit the current NA meta very well. The addition of hydro is supposed to let you close the distance with the enemy with more confidence, but doing so quickly gets you focused. At least you've got a massive HP pool, eh?

Do you have replays? 

I don't have any replays but I should start doing that. But I'm relived to hear you think it's the team and not just me haha. I know more goes into a win than the amount of damage you do but the constant losing makes me reeeeeeeally salty in chat to my own team. I apologize for what I said when I was salty (and hungry) haha.

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
46,849 battles

I asked myself the same question with a lower tier KM BB. I was scoring really well, but my team couldn't get a win. I analyzed my own play and concluded I needed to fight harder to win and hold a CAP. 

Members
557 posts

The point about the NA 'meta' is so true.

People are afraid of getting their paint scratched. Fair enough if you go alone you are easy prey, but if the team as a whole would grow some man fruits and push, things would be different. Especially with the new German bb's that are taylor made for up close and personal brawling.

Had a great game in my Nassau last night where about 4 Nassau's from each team met mid-map and had an epic secondaries battle. Even though my team lost it was great fun. A far cry from the sit back and snipe bb play that is so prevalent.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

How to win: find DDs that won't sit inside their own smoke and eat a torp and die within the first 5mins. Preferably, find 5 of them that don't do that.

• Cool 1

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

What would really help the German BBs is repair cost reduction. Because sorry, until the fix repair costs, if my Izumo sinks, I'm losing credits or if I do well, barely scrape even. If costs were lower, I would be much more open to leading a charge. If repair costs get cut permanently, then people as a whole will be much more encouraged to engage for high risk/reward actions, which in most cases is attempting to rush and brawl.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

Bear in mind, when it's only NA that has the high-tier meta we do, they can't really buff the brawler line to also be competitive in long-range standoffs. That would be incredibly unfair in the regions where being a brawler is already a leg up on one's peers. It'd be like Yamato receiving a traverse buff to help her knife-fight in the RU meta. (Take this with a grain of salt; it's not the same thing, but the point remains.)

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,230 battles

I hope the reports like this continue so maybe WG will buff the GK appropriately.

I was under the impression after hearing a few people, super-testers in fact, say that BEFORE it came out, compared to what it is now, it GOT a buff...

[-KWH-]
Members
208 posts
8,261 battles

You didn't seem to have any problem blowing my FDG out of the water earlier today.  It was my fault for letting you catch me broadside, but that will happen from time to time.  I can confirm that the concealment build is annoying; you would drop out of sight as soon as I had a shot lined up.

I'm having the same problem as you, but with the Bismarck.  It's a great ship, and I enjoy playing it.  I get plenty of damage and kills in it, but I've lost the last 7 games I've played with it.

Regardless, I don't think the GK is a bad ship, but I only have 4 games in it so far.  It's lack of torpedo protection really does need to be addressed though.

Edited by Rhal_

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

I can't comment on how potato your team is or not as I really don't know without replays, but from my experience, battleship captains with high damage numbers and low win rates tend to focus too much on damage rather than pushing an objective or controlling an area. Mostly staying on the edge picking off stray ships one by one.

OP, do you support your team in capping in Domination matches?

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
61 posts
7,511 battles

I can't comment on how potato your team is or not as I really don't know without replays, but from my experience, battleship captains with high damage numbers and low win rates tend to focus too much on damage rather than pushing an objective or controlling an area. Mostly staying on the edge picking off stray ships one by one.

OP, do you support your team in capping in Domination matches?

I like to think I do. But dd's end up getting evaporated quickly and cruisers won't push caps so we usually end up on the defensive. 

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

That's the problem with tier 10 game play. Everyone is too scared to take risks, so team that manages to cap first tends to win as they control the middle. It's why I prefer tiers 6 through 8 ships. I have an Iowa and I rarely play her.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

The GK needs teammates to help it. Teammates to either punish enemies or to protect it by detecting torpedoes or smoking for it. Without those, it's almost impossible to play. A division ship as opposed to the solo capabilities of say a Moskva.

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
4,640 battles

It does suck when even your DDs are "sniping"....

I just said "_ _ _ k this" and now just sit back and snipe with wveryone else...

Got sick of getting torped by DDs no one is scouting.

Sign in to follow this