You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dreddnort

British BBs

59 comments in this topic

[TMP]
Members
406 posts

It would be cool to see this order of ships:

Dreadnought

Agincourt (Colossus - premium)

Iron Duke (Hood  - premium)

Queen Eliz.

KGV (Nelson - premium)

Lion 

N3

L3 (Fisher's Incomparable - premium)

Thoughts?

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,307 posts
23,632 battles

Hmmm yeah I think it likely to be very close to that.

Edited by paradat

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I'd love to see the 80,000 ton Tillman IV-2 Battleship, with 15x18" guns, as a top tier Premium U.S. BB.

You're joking, right?

[TMP]
Members
406 posts

Nope, I'm thinking only if the Super Yamato hits the scene, it should be considered (or one of the other 5 variants, one of which is the 24x16" gun arrangement).

[TMP]
Members
406 posts

Hood should be tier VII. 

nah, the Hood is a over-rated looker. Plunging shells from this tier would be devastating. With it having a long superstructure it would constantly on fire and the 15 inch guns are nothing special. A Colorado, Nagato would slap it around. It is better suited with the Fuso, New Mexico bracket.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Nope, I'm thinking only if the Super Yamato hits the scene, it should be considered (or one of the other 5 variants, one of which is the 24x16" gun arrangement).

First of all, tier 8 is the maximum for premium ships. Second, any of those ships would be WAY too overpowered for tier 10. Third, Super Yamato isn't coming.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

nah, the Hood is a over-rated looker. Plunging shells from this tier would be devastating. With it having a long superstructure it would constantly on fire and the 15 inch guns are nothing special. A Colorado, Nagato would slap it around. It is better suited with the Fuso, New Mexico bracket.

Big speed advantage over Warspite at T6, and a host of HP too.

Not fair to put her at T6, and look at the premium Dunkerque pays for speed.

Gneisenau's at T7 with 6x 15in guns. I understand Warspite has a big accuracy advantage over those weapons.

There is no plunging fire in this game most of the time. Hood's belt is 12in at it's thickest. Amagi has 10in of belt armor and sits at T8, and is great there.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

I could see T6

Well its as well armed and armoured as the QEs, whilst being ~7 knots faster. 

Therefore putting it at the same tier as them would render the QE irrelevant. 

Thus tier VII is the logical choice.

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
37 posts
2,680 battles

Tier 3 - Dreadnought
Tier 4 - Orion
Tier 5 - Renown or Iron Duke
Tier 6 - Revenge
Tier 7 - Nelson (Hood premium)

Tier 8 - King George V (Vanguard premium)

Tier 9 - Lion

Tier 10 - Hopefully the L3 design, I call it "Centurion"

I'd prefer to see that, personally...

• Cool 4

Members
343 posts
5,814 battles

A fictional stretched post '44 Lion or something similar to the original 'battleship X' concept which initially called for a ship of over 70,000 tons is more likey for a British tier X . The problem with the N3, G3 and L3 designs is they of 1920s vintage, their speed, armour belt and armament would just not cut it at those tiers would not be able to stand up to the likes of Iowa and Yamato.

Members
820 posts

Tier 3 - Dreadnought

Tier 4 - Orion

Tier 5 - Renown or Iron Duke

Tier 6 - Revenge

Tier 7 - Nelson (Hood premium)

Tier 8 - King George V (Vanguard premium)

Tier 9 - Lion

Tier 10 - Hopefully the L3 design, I call it "Centurion"

I'd prefer to see that, personally...

Personally prefer Iron Duke at tier 5 as Renown is a battlecruiser (and itd be easier if they plan to add a battlecruiser line later). I can't fault Revenge at t6, but I always liked the Queen Elizabeths better, but that's just me.

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

Personally prefer Iron Duke at tier 5 as Renown is a battlecruiser (and itd be easier if they plan to add a battlecruiser line later). I can't fault Revenge at t6, but I always liked the Queen Elizabeths better, but that's just me.

I think Queen Elizabeth was the better design, but I think it would be nice to put Revenge at Tier 6, letting Warspite hang on to a little bit of uniqueness for a little while longer.

Well its as well armed and armoured as the QEs, whilst being ~7 knots faster. 

Therefore putting it at the same tier as them would render the QE irrelevant. 

Thus tier VII is the logical choice.

I agree. Hood is basically Warspite with much greater speed and more HP (~28% more, going off of tonnage?). That's Tier 7 material.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

Eh, i thought Hood was slightly less armored than the QEs, the former has 305mm max belt and the latter abt 330mm. 

The 305mm is sloped, making it 330mm effective. 

Members
343 posts
5,814 battles

It was the Deck armour that was the Hood's biggest short coming, if the 'B' (or 'C' for that matter) hull was to include the planned changes for the ship before she was sunk she would make a very powerful tier VII battleship. 

• Cool 1

[HOTH]
Beta Testers
337 posts
6,812 battles

I'll guarantee Hood will be a premium as she is a one of one class. Imho I think she would be terrible past T6 without a gun upgrade. Same guns as Warspite so their stats won't be good for higher tier play that t7-8  brings.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

I'll guarantee Hood will be a premium as she is a one of one class. Imho I think she would be terrible past T6 without a gun upgrade. Same guns as Warspite so their stats won't be good for higher tier play that t7-8  brings.

A more capable Mk2 gun was proposed.

Do bear in mind that whilst they were studied for the KGV's there's no reason AFAIK why they couldn't have been refitted to other ships as they would have been lighter as well as more capable. So unless a change in recoil distance would have necessitated impractical changes to the turret there is room for a modest upgrade.

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

The Warspite in the game has a muzzle velocity using a used or worn barrel, which is 732 mps. This was likely because much of the ballistic flight and penetration curves are done with tests using a worn barrel.  In the game, if we have the Hood as a premium and at Tier 7, it is recommended that the all these curves be recharted using a new barrel --- just like every other ship in the game is based on.  At 749 mps that would give the guns a bit more of an oomph.

The Hood entered combat with only less streamlined 4crh shell with 752 mps and didn't survive to get her planned upgrade for more streamlined 6crh shells like the Warspite did.  If she had so, the MV would be rated at 749 mps.  

These changes in the shells can sufficiently make the difference for a viable Tier 7.  Otherwise with 4crh shells, the guns would be less effective than what you have with the Warspite and the Hood will be a Tier 6.  

A Tier 7 Hood may also require upgrades to the AA, likely based on any proposals to upgrade her but didn't happen when she sank.

Edited by Eisennagel

[TMP]
Members
406 posts

A fictional stretched post '44 Lion or something similar to the original 'battleship X' concept which initially called for a ship of over 70,000 tons is more likey for a British tier X . The problem with the N3, G3 and L3 designs is they of 1920s vintage, their speed, armour belt and armament would just not cut it at those tiers would not be able to stand up to the likes of Iowa and Yamato.

The L3's speed would be mid-20's, armor would be close to a Nelson config. but thicker (18" belt), certainly thicker than the Iowa (12") and Yamato (16"), gun's equal to Yamato, if not better. FYI, Yamato's armor plate was inferior to most nations plating, in how it was forged. The spare face plate for a Yamato class turret (I believe it was 26") that the post war US navy shot a 16" shell through showed that the metal had foreign material (dirt) running through it.