You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Irishwind

Hipper: Which upgrade?

12 comments in this topic

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,587 battles

I just bought Admiral Hipper.  So far, just one battle with a commander needing retraining, so good.  But when outfitting her with upgrades I am at a loss for the fifth one:  Target Acquisition or Concealment?  I'm leaning toward TA  Many times in my Yorck I was spotted and receiving fire before I saw anything to shoot back at.  TA looks like it will tip the balance, especially with DDs.  Concealment is tempting, but I'm worried once I start shooting that upgrade will be useless.

[JSBF]
Members
2,046 posts
2,262 battles

I personally went with concealment but honestly it's not proving to be very helpful. It's really only good in situations where you want to sneak up to a broadside for one major strike of cits and torps. That's pretty much limited to "I'm outnumbered and going to die anyways, at least I can do SOMETHING this way" and "there's only one enemy and I can't really do much to him otherwise because of the landscape". I only went with concealment since I tend to sneak attack brawl a lot no matter what ship I'm in... probably a bad habit from playing destroyers. In the end though even then TA is probably better due to the assured acquisition bonus.

TL;DR as someone who has Concealment I'd probably recommend TA unless it just doesn't fit your playstyle altogether.

• Cool 1

Members
119 posts

Go for Concealment upgrade, your ship will thank you for that, Hipper is great for raiding points and can do great sneaking and delivering a good ambush. Your guns got the range for doing damage at range and with the concealment upgrade you can disappear faster and move for another attack. Hipper is a soft ship, remember that :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
9,023 battles

Many times in my Yorck I was spotted and receiving fire before I saw anything to shoot back at.  TA looks like it will tip the balance, especially with DDs. 

The tooltip may not be as clear as it needs to be. That's not how TA works. TA increases the distance at which detected targets render (and also boosts the range at which you detect torpedoes). What does this mean? Look at your minimap, and you see a gray cone that follows your camera. That's your field of view. Any ship outside that field of view doesn't render even if they're detected; they'll show up as a colored outline on the minimap. TA boosts the max range of your field of view, but doesn't help detect targets.

• Cool 2

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,587 battles

Thanks Pelican.  Looks like Concealment is worth the upgrade then.  Couple it with the reduced detection perk, maybe I can make my CAs into ninjas.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,795 posts
5,021 battles

Concealment.  I like it simply because at range you can fire, evade and do what you need to, but if you've read the situation far enough in advance and find yourself going to be in trouble soon by closing enemies, you can simply stop firing, fade into the background and relocate.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
2,033 posts
9,279 battles

I don't know too many cruisers that don't want concealment.  It works especially well with the German cruisers because there are times you are able to worm your way into a position where you can alpha strike someone with your AP rounds who had no idea you were there.

Members
1 post
1,364 battles

Me, I read this post... I looked at the upgrades for a long time... I really didn't want to go concealment... but decided what he hell and did it anyway. I am glad I did as being able to fade from combat as long as no one is within 10 km is bloody fantastic, So glad i put concealment on

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,348 posts
15,832 battles
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Chaos636 said:

Me, I read this post... I looked at the upgrades for a long time... I really didn't want to go concealment... but decided what he hell and did it anyway. I am glad I did as being able to fade from combat as long as no one is within 10 km is bloody fantastic, So glad i put concealment on

Concealment is one of the strongest mechanics in the game.  For Cruisers which actually have citadels and lacking the BB armor, range and concealment are your bestest of friends.  If the fight looks too stupid, you simply "Go Dark" and deny a losing fight when possible.

German Cruisers gravitate to poor concealment among Cruisers in general, but you can improve it enough where you can control your engagements some.  Having some control of when you fight is reassuring.

• Cool 1