You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

312 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles

Wouldn't Preventative Maintenance be the best tier 5 captain skill to get for the Dunkerque? That way, your turrets can take more hits.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
1,766 battles

I was excited enough for this ship to be willing to buy one regardless of the reviews, but am extremely disappointed to learn the turrets are not properly subdivided.

Hopefully this was the result of a complication with the game engine, and will eventually be rectified.

Edit:  As usual, +1 to the cat and mouse for the outstanding review. :red_button:

Edited by DoomStomper

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,051 battles

Thank you for your new review! It was a fabulous read and I hope to see more! :honoring:

[EZ4US]
[EZ4US]
Beta Testers
541 posts
8,866 battles

Really let down by the lack of compartmentalisation of her main guns into 4x2 sets in addition to them appearing to have poor survivability.

Not that I'd ever buy her anyway.

[HINON]
Supertester
3,930 posts
6,271 battles

Once again, thanks for the great review! Looks like I'll probably be picking her up as long as the price is appropriate.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

Closest in-Game Contemporary: Molotov
Degree of Similarity: Clone / Sister-Ship / Related Class Similar Role / Unique

Despite the superficial similarities to the Izumo, the Dunkerque has much more in common with the play style of the Soviet premium cruiser, Molotov.  Both are fast, fragile vessels with more speed than agility.  Yet they both rely on engaging enemies at range with hard hitting alpha strikes from high-muzzle velocity weapons.  Both are unable to conceal themselves.  They are gunship support vessels, relying on clever use of speed and turning to keep themselves safe from reprisals.

Say no more.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,209 posts
14,802 battles

Wouldn't Preventative Maintenance be the best tier 5 captain skill to get for the Dunkerque?

IMO it's worth considering, though you're going to run into two issues:

1) Is it really worth taking a skill that's only useful (but very much so) under specific circumstanes? Or would you be better off taking a skill that's more universally useful.

2) Dunk is a premium, and there are only two French classes of battleships with the all-forward quad turret layout, Dunkerque class and Richelieu class. If you're going to use Dunk as a captain trainer for an upcoming French battleship line, you'll have a skill trained that might not be as useful on other ship classes except those two.

Why Wargaming no compartmentize the turrets D:

If I were to venture a guess, engine limitations. That is however just a guess. They've not deemed fit to inform me about the reasons why there's no subdivision in the turrets.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,696 posts
4,813 battles

Wouldn't Preventative Maintenance be the best tier 5 captain skill to get for the Dunkerque? That way, your turrets can take more hits.

that does sound like a better choice. If one turret get knocked out, it game over :P

Members
503 posts
12,731 battles

Thanks for the great review.

Does this mean Dunkerque will arrive at the same time as the Scharnhorst? Sigh. My wife is going to kill me... :(

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,209 posts
14,802 battles

Does this mean Dunkerque will arrive at the same time as the Scharnhorst?

We don't know.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,578 posts
12,061 battles

Wow that was very thorough thank you very much +1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

There's also the cascogne with only two main turrets.

In defense of not separating the turret, the bulkhead was no guarantee to not lose them all from a single hit.  A barbette hit could still lock the turret in train which effectively kills all 4 guns.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,696 posts
4,813 battles

Thanks for the great review.

Does this mean Dunkerque will arrive at the same time as the Scharnhorst? Sigh. My wife is going to kill me... :(

as lert said, we have no clue. we're just in the dark as everyone else. But my best guess is next Friday

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles

More like French are known for being a big fans of quad gun turrets, especially the way they designed the 130mm quad DP guns.

By the way, thanks for the hard work. Keep it up.

Dunkirk/Dunkerque was a fast battleship, even though she seemed too weak to be one and sometimes considered a battlecruiser.

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

Yuck!! I knew about her weak armor and guns for her tier, but I was hoping her secondaries and AA would make up for it. I was hoping her gun reload would be around Scharnhorst level. I was hoping her gun turrets would be extra durable to make up for the fact that she only has two of them and they were supposed to be compartmentalised. NOPE.

I'm a ship collector and someone who's credit card whispers in his ear at night when it comes to this game, but even I can't throw money at garbage of this magnitude. If I want a french premium, I'll wait for the Richelieu.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
3,930 posts
6,271 battles

as lert said, we have no clue. we're just in the dark as everyone else. But my best guess is next Friday

I'm gonna guess either Dunk or Scharnhorst is gonna drop on Monday.

Members
1,089 posts
2,413 battles

I'd guess that the reason the turrets aren't compartmentalized in-game has something to do with how an incapacitated turret doesn't turn. In order for Dunkerque's compartmentalization to work, she would have to have a damaged turret that still turns in conjunction with a non-damaged turret, which doesn't work with the existing mechanics.

Dunkerque is tempting - she's a nice-looking ship, and I do enjoy my Molotov - but since I prefer to play battleships as "charge in and tank" I don't think she'd work well for me. Scharnhorst is much more tempting (being intended more as a "charge in and tank" type of ship), and I can't really afford both at the moment. Even one of them is questionable, unless they can be bought with doubloons in-game.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,574 posts
8,229 battles

The bulkhead does not completely stop the entire turret from getting knocked out, the Jean Bart lost a turret from a single hit when the Massachusetts bombarded it during the battle of Casablanca. The divided turret only protects against shells penetrating lengthwise, it does nothing to help against barbette hits or cross penetrations. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,176 battles

Ya know, maybe I should ask to flip over to the other side of the street like Mouse there as a CC. Least I could talk about the damn ships.