You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xXSpotted_HyenaXx

Scharnhorst encountered!

47 comments in this topic

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

I encountered a one, Little White Mouse commanding the shiny new Scharnhorst, and I have to say I'm not sure if I will be getting one or not. I was commanding the USS Colorado, and it seemed like Scharnhorst was pretty easy-peezy to pen for some decent damage. No cits mind you, but Mouse kept her angled well enough that I didn't expect it. The 11' guns surprised me. I figured everything he shot at me would just bounce off but I was surprised to see I was taking a fair amount of damage. Nothing scary, even when I semi-broadsided him trying to avoid torpeters.  In the end, I claimed victory and sailed away. Mind you, I had help, but so did he (Just turned out my help was a bit more helpful) So, mixed emotions on weather to open my wallet to her when she comes available. It was a good battle though! Hats off, White Mouse :)

Edited by xXSpotted_HyenaXx

[BONKZ]
Members
888 posts
11,837 battles

11 inch guns are meant to kill cruisers, not go toe-to-toe against battleships, Mouse should have ran away with here (obviously) superior speed.

[SOTA]
Members
852 posts
14,400 battles

pretty sure LWM usually plays dd's (i might be wrong though), so that might account for some of it.   will wait until she posts her review.

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

-She- Sorry! She was on the east side after taking C on northern lights, she couldn't do anything about me because she had the mountain behind her. Only thing she could do was turn towards me and fight. Which she did. Like I said, was a good fight, but Scharnhorst just doesn't seem like she's got the steel to keep you safe.   

Edit: By behind her I meant her Starboard Side, at the time of our engagement, I was heading back to our flag because the A-B side fell. Plus I was running from a pair of Atlantas after they annihilated my DD buddy.                                                       

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,122 posts
29,397 battles

LWM is a Warspite main to my knowledge, but has extensive experience in all ship classes, and a VERY good understanding of the deeper mechanics of the game.

If you check the replay, it sounds like she was probably aiming for your barbettes and superstructure, which is the smart play if you're angled enough that the Scharnhorst's guns couldn't reliably penetrate your belt armor.

Oh, and if you got the kill: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/82118-mouses-throne-of-skulls/

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

-She- Sorry! She was on the east side after taking C on northern lights, she couldn't do anything about me because she had the mountain behind her. Only thing she could do was turn towards me and fight. Which she did. Like I said, was a good fight, but Scharnhorst just doesn't seem like she's got the steel to keep you safe.

To be fair, Tirpitz isn't that hard to pen either. Again, almost never a cit but plenty of pen damage especially past mid range. Seems to be a German BB thing. Very hard to cit. Not hard to pen. Worn down with lots of okay hits instead of a few devastating ones. 

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

LWM is a Warspite main to my knowledge, but has extensive experience in all ship classes, and a VERY good understanding of the deeper mechanics of the game.

If you check the replay, it sounds like she was probably aiming for your barbettes and superstructure, which is the smart play if you're angled enough that the Scharnhorst's guns couldn't reliably penetrate your belt armor.

Oh, and if you got the kill: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/82118-mouses-throne-of-skulls/

So, do I create a skull or does she? I'm confused.

It's possible. She switched to HE for a bit, she seemed to Alternate between HE and AP. Either way, I was taking some damage. More than I expected.

Members
2,632 posts
10,276 battles

pretty sure LWM usually plays dd's (i might be wrong though), so that might account for some of it.   will wait until she posts her review.

Given that her most favorite ship by a wide margin is the Warspite, I'm wagering she knows battleships.

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

Given that her most favorite ship by a wide margin is the Warspite, I'm wagering she knows battleships

​She just got caught between a rock and a hard place. The rock to her starboard, me and my help to her port. She had no choice but to fight, because if she turned she would give us all that juicy broadside, which she seemed determined not to do to me.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

I encountered a one, Little White Mouse commanding the shiny new Scharnhorst, and I have to say I'm not sure if I will be getting one or not. I was commanding the USS Colorado, and it seemed like Scharnhorst was pretty easy-peezy to pen for some decent damage. No cits mind you, but Mouse kept her angled well enough that I didn't expect it. The 11' guns surprised me. I figured everything he shot at me would just bounce off but I was surprised to see I was taking a fair amount of damage. Nothing scary, even when I semi-broadsided him trying to avoid torpeters.  In the end, I claimed victory and sailed away. Mind you, I had help, but so did he (Just turned out my help was a bit more helpful) So, mixed emotions on weather to open my wallet to her when she comes available. It was a good battle though! Hats off, White Mouse :)

FYI, mouse is a woman.

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

Edit: By behind her I meant her Starboard Side, at the time of our engagement, I was heading back to our flag because the A-B side fell. Plus I was running from a pair of Atlantas after they annihilated my DD buddy.                                                       

​^I know this now

Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles

So, mixed emotions on weather to open my wallet to her when she comes available. It was a good battle though! Hats off, White Mouse :)

Not being critical or anything, but just pointing out that premiums are not supposed to be worth it because they are an easy button, but rather different flavors out of the main stream.  Run the Fujin as a DD hunter against a Gnevny and you are likely to have a bad day, that doesn't make the Fujin bad, or not worth premium costs.  Scharnhorst has a different flavor than duking it out with a Colorado.  LWM may have just been trying something out (super-tester afterall is there to test first, win second) or making the best of a bad situation.  

I suppose the point is that if you prefer the Colorado play-style, then avoid buying something with a drastically different flavor.  I realize you were only stating your opinion, not telling others (who may like the style) what to do, just wanted to make the point for others.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,345 battles

I suppose the point is that if you prefer the Colorado play-style, then avoid buying something with a drastically different flavor.  I realize you were only stating your opinion, not telling others (who may like the style) what to do, just wanted to make the point for others.

I'm leaning more towards the Dunk than the Scharn honestly but that said. Keep in mind that It'll be rather easy to out run your support if you aren't careful.

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

Not being critical or anything, but just pointing out that premiums are not supposed to be worth it because they are an easy button, but rather different flavors out of the main stream.  Run the Fujin as a DD hunter against a Gnevny and you are likely to have a bad day, that doesn't make the Fujin bad, or not worth premium costs.  Scharnhorst has a different flavor than duking it out with a Colorado.  LWM may have just been trying something out (super-tester afterall is there to test first, win second) or making the best of a bad situation.  

I suppose the point is that if you prefer the Colorado play-style, then avoid buying something with a drastically different flavor.  I realize you were only stating your opinion, not telling others (who may like the style) what to do, just wanted to make the point for others

This is my first encounter with the Scharnhorst, so I'm unsure as of yet. I just noticed she was easy to pen seemed like. I plau IJN Battleships fairly decent now, if the play for Scharnhorst is similar to the IJN , then me and Scharnhorst may get along. My concern is just the tiny guns.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,345 battles

This is my first encounter with the Scharnhorst, so I'm unsure as of yet. I just noticed she was easy to pen seemed like. I plau IJN Battleships fairly decent now, if the play for Scharnhorst is similar to the IJN , then me and Scharnhorst may get along. My concern is just the tiny guns.

The biggest issue with the Scharnhorst is that it's upper belt is pretty paper-thin, similar to the Derpitz, which means you pretty much can get Penetrating hit damage all of the time.

But you don't get to Citadel it easily.

[PWI]
Banned
551 posts
1,839 battles

FYI, mouse is a woman.

Pretty sure Lert said that LWM was a guy and friend he works with that he got into WoWS since they both served in the Navy.

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

I'm leaning more towards the Dunk than the Scharn honestly but that said. Keep in mind that It'll be rather easy to out run your support if you aren't careful.

Thats my issue now with the IJN. I go all out storming an objective like a complete mad man. Suddenly I'm getting focused. Look behind me, I've left all my USN buddies. :(

Members
183 posts
2,639 battles

The biggest issue with the Scharnhorst is that it's upper belt is pretty paper-thin, similar to the Derpitz, which means you pretty much can get Penetrating hit damage all of the time.

But you don't get to Citadel it easily.

You're right. I didnt get cits . As many salvos as I've launched at the Tirpitz, the same holds true, i've only citted the Turdpitz a couple of times. 

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,146 battles

Pretty sure Lert said that LWM was a guy and friend he works with that he got into WoWS since they both served in the Navy.

LWM is a woman. And from what she has done she tried something as a supertester for sure. She is a extrem good player with BB ( had her a few times in my teams ) and knows alot of any other classes. Oh and be carefull if you meet her in a Atago. I had Lert a few days ago in the other team on the Gneisenau and he used my Izumo to test HE. He wasn't that easy to kill since he uses his speed, manouverability and cover to spam HE at me when ever he has reloaded. He said he just want to tes HE and fire chance. Wasn't too much fun having 2 to 3 fires burning all the time. 

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,345 battles

You're right. I didnt get cits . As many salvos as I've launched at the Tirpitz, the same holds true, i've only citted the Turdpitz a couple of times. 

The upper 'Belt' is only 45mm thick on the Scharnhorst, and I believe only 105mm thick on the Derpitz. Neither of which are good enough to stop a penetration, The [edited]storm of slopes and armor under it will prevent 'most' Citadel hits though.

The down side is if you are getting popped for 15k+ a salvo from 16" AP due to penetrating hits, it still drops HP and fast.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,146 battles

You have a chance to cit a Tirpitz at longe range. Done it with my Tirpitz at 18km. But even then it didn't happen to often. But the Torpitz still take damage from normal penetration. 

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

So as predicted, hard to cit, easy to damage, guns nothing great. Doesn't mean it won't be a good premium, but man, people were saying German BBs would be almost impossible to damage and shot nuclear cannon.