You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cuesta_Rey

Captain Skills for Tier 8 Chapy

9 comments in this topic

Members
1,270 posts
10,091 battles

Wondering what your opinion is for captain skills for the tier 8, Chapy. Just got the ship and don't want to screw up the current cheap retraining opportunity. 

Thanks

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
34,396 battles

BFT or BOS T1.. neither do much of anything anyway.

EM... faster turrets are always better and SI doesnt affect cruisers like it does DDs. More likely to get more hits on you from a red that isnt dead and the red may be alive becasue you were maneuvering and not able to get you guns on target faster. Get it?

Vigilance... RU cruisers are really slow turning so you need all the advance notice you can get. Also there are far too many DDs in matchs with awesome torps especially from the T6-10 range you will see and likely higher tiers as T8s are routinely bottom tier now.

DE... your guns dont do great damage off the impact but you will land a lot of shells with those faster turrets so maximize your game damage with the extra fires. Expect to equal your HE damage with fires if not more.

Concealment.. you don't have great armor or maneuvering so some ability to stealth is a must. RU cruisers are the easiest targets in game and are even less maneuverable than some BBs. I think you might be able to stealth fire with full conceal build but if so not by much to really use it. It could be like 1k ????

Buffing AA doesn't do much without a full AA build and to do that you give up everything that makes your ship effective to fight other ships. It is really pointless. AT T8 you are the weakest hull in every respect but you have some of the best guns if you build for that. T9-10 have awesome AA FYI

Take hydro instead of DF because although you have radar it takes forever to reload and you can't turn so running down DDs in smoke is your best option and RU cruisers are the best DD hunters and BB burners, even better than IJN. RU has second best hydro in game.

guns guns guns. This is the RU way.

Edited by Sir_Godz

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

4th skill: DE

5th skill: CE

/thread.

Pretty standard for high DMG output and survival, for ANY cruiser. With SA becoming a free skill, it does open up for even better set-ups...

On a note about the SA change. Doesn't anyone consider it a slight (unintended, perhaps) nerf to HE spamming? It's rather neat how it turned out, I'd say... (I like HE spamming, as it's the most effective means to do DMG to an angled BB while sailing a CA).

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

No, don't use hydro on T8+ soviet cruisers.

It's not only a massive waste, but also a complete liability when you cannot defend yourself against bombers by scattering them.

Especially when your soviet cruiser has crap agility

Members
1,270 posts
10,091 battles

One thing though, I am seeing fewer battles where there are any carriers. It's times when there are no carriers that make me second guess whether I should have equipped hydro. Obviously we don't know when there will or will not be carriers, so I guess it's best to have the ability to scatter the bombers rather than not.

Thanks for you replies. It's what I wanted to hear...from experienced captains.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I don't have Chappy yet (unlocked her but haven't bought her), and I'm far from a pro (but I have good stats in Russian CLs except for Shchors, fwiw), but I  would use Last Stand instead of Expert Markman at level 2. Engines and rudder are fragile on every Russian cruiser up through Shchors, so I'd expect Chappy to be no different, and keeping your ability to move and maneuver is a much bigger advantage than a slight buff to turret traverse on a ship that has decent traverse anyway. 

Members
1,270 posts
10,091 battles

I don't have Chappy yet (unlocked her but haven't bought her), and I'm far from a pro (but I have good stats in Russian CLs except for Shchors, fwiw), but I  would use Last Stand instead of Expert Markman at level 2. Engines and rudder are fragile on every Russian cruiser up through Shchors, so I'd expect Chappy to be no different, and keeping your ability to move and maneuver is a much bigger advantage than a slight buff to turret traverse on a ship that has decent traverse anyway. 

Well I don't know why, but I typically never lose my rudder or engine in my Russian cruisers. They are vulnerable to citadel shots and detonation. Russian DD's I have lost rudder and/or engines many times, but not CA's for some reason. 

And by the way, I'm no pro either, bro. Far from it. I barely get by, but I still enjoy playing the game and working to get better.