You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_JEJgAhN5LeMR

Kaiser turret arrangment is bizarre!

45 comments in this topic

Members
1,368 posts

Played a few matches with a ST in a Kaiser today and I have to say that the arrangement of the main turrets is rather complex.   I think I read before that people were wondering if those offset turrets on the side could fire only on that side... well, I saw confirmation that they can fire across the ship on either side.   But it's strange how those two turrets interact with each other.   I'm curious to see of there's any "dead" spots that would correspond to safety lock outs to prevent one turret from firing on the other.

here's some screens I took of the arrangement...

e14s5jU.jpg

HfXhgMQ.jpg

Saw Lert in a Nassau as well :)

[F7_]
Members
840 posts
10,865 battles

Bizarre is correct.  But as stated above, she'll do nicely bow on and angled, provided the 2nd turret can aim forwards enough.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,720 posts

I'm surprised they enabled cross-deck fire.  Although that was the original design intent, in practice they didn't do it much because it caused too much blast damage to the deck and superstructure.

• Cool 1

[DESU]
Members
182 posts
4,892 battles

Hot damn, that looks kind of sexy.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
264 posts
904 battles

It was a design tried out by several nations (cross deck firing) but was abandoned because it did severe damage to the deck.

edit:  And centerline turrets had way too many advantages to ignore.

Edited by Agricola

Members
1,211 posts
4,677 battles

I'm surprised they enabled cross-deck fire.  Although that was the original design intent, in practice they didn't do it much because it caused too much blast damage to the deck and superstructure.

Interesting. 

Seems like they were trying to make better firing angles towards the rear than towards the front with this ship. 

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Interesting, her turrets do not have the rangefinder ears that they have in her preview picture. Bummer

Kaiser-lg.png

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
260 posts
1,376 battles

Interesting, her turrets do not have the rangefinder ears that they have in her preview picture. Bummer

Could be a stock vs. non-stock hull. Or they just screwed up the preview image. 
Edited by BludgeonThePrincess
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Could be a stock vs. non-stock hull. Or they just screwed up the preview image. 

No that hull is fully upgraded, you can tell because it has all 4 dual 88 turrets instead of one per side (2) on the stock hull.

I'm guessing it's the latter

Edited by dseehafer

Members
1,549 posts
5,319 battles

It's going to be interesting to play because it may angle better to one side while advancing and another while retreating. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,753 posts
16,080 battles

Did they stack phone books on the captians chair so Lert can see out the bridge? Or does he just perch on the edge?

Beta Testers
140 posts
3,971 battles

Did they stack phone books on the captians chair so Lert can see out the bridge? Or does he just perch on the edge?

If he fits, he sits.

Members
2,632 posts
10,276 battles

No that hull is fully upgraded, you can tell because it has all 4 dual 88 turrets instead of one per side (2) on the stock hull.

I'm guessing it's the latter

Like how Omaha's tech tree picture is not C hull? I noticed that last night running through my Tier 5s for the contest and it's really bugging me now.

Members
233 posts
828 battles

I saw _sandy_ in a sexy-af Konig.......he/she rekt'd that game. Saw the one that starts with M in a Kaiser(?), the broadside dpm for that ship must be insane.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,345 battles

Seems like a great candidate to angle fire. That's what I thought hen I saw it. I'd assume that was the intent.

More like the Germans didn't trust Super firing turrets.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,753 posts
16,080 battles

Apparently going out and testing the idea, like the US did, to see if it works is really hard.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

You know the Kaiser has superfiring turrets right?
Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,345 battles

You know the Kaiser has superfiring turrets right?

On the rear half, instead of the entire gun line getting moved to the central line. 

Apparently going out and testing the idea, like the US did, to see if it works is really hard.

US when all in on the super-firing (first ones to get it to work) with their First Dreadnought

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

US when all in on the super-firing (first ones to get it to work) with their First Dreadnought

Not a very good example as the Michigans were considered failures.