You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ResonantOne

So is Patch 0.5.9 going to fix the broken RNG?

42 comments in this topic

Members
76 posts
3,240 battles

****NOTE**** since this first post we have had some good discussion on the topic without hyperbole.  Just read it it before you snark.  Thx.

Since Patch 5.7 I've noticed an extreme change in RNG.  Guns normally firing tight spreads are frequently... and I mean FREQUENTLY straddling ships on both end and sides.  Not just little DDs, but Huge BBs as well.  I'm hearing this from multiple players I talk with and I have watched my damage and XP numbers plummet since then while doing nothing different.  My stats below show a terrible decline since and I can't figure why.

I used to have decent accuracy with the Kongo, for instance.  Now?  3 full salvos at 8km at a stationary BB.  1 shell hits when aiming waterline center.  Excuse me?  before 5.7 I was cutting the ship in two with 90% hit rates.  Why is this going on?  

The Farragut?  8km away, shells hanging in the air for 10 seconds.  My shells flying around like I'm throwing confetti unable to track targets.  What is going on?  It's like all the shell speeds have changed, and none of the sites were changed to match, so they're all miscalibrated by a lot making it even harder to hit targets or trust any data given.

So is this going to get fixed or just say "working as intended"?

Or have I suffered a stroke and what I'm experiencing isn't reality and I should be going to the ER?

Edited by ResonantOne

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

As much as I'd love to see the RNG on my Colorado and Warspite improved, it's most likely that WG will do jack about it.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

RNG of spread is probably here to stay. I haven't seen any changes in shell travel time, US destroyer guns have always had shells that it feels like your ship could outrun. 

• Cool 1

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

Confirmation Bias:

The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities.

• Cool 5

Members
6,557 posts
13,338 battles
before 5.7 I was cutting the ship in two with 90% hit rates.  Why is this going on? 

Probably this is the issue - it being too easy to tear apart ships. 

For me it seems to come in waves - do good/great for a few days or week then crap.

No idea how you can prove RNG is faulty...  It is not like the MM where you see it being ............ difficult.

Edited by CylonRed

[SOTA]
Members
852 posts
14,052 battles

Not next patch, but they have been talking about removing more of the RNG from the game in the future (not holding my breath for sure) and making it more player skill friendly.

edit:  yes, i will search for the link before the disbelievers come and question my sanity again.  Was on a dev forum or video, maybe a "talkin ship" episode.  Anyways, food to cook, dogs to kiss and kids to beat. 

Edited by wuvgun

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

Not next patch, but they have been talking about removing more of the RNG from the game in the future (not holding my breath for sure) and making it more player skill friendly.

edit:  yes, i will search for the link before the disbelievers come and question my sanity again.

• Cool 1

Members
76 posts
3,240 battles

Confirmation Bias:

The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities.

Yes I know that is part of my perception of the issue.  It might be something else, but I do know that my performance, with same ships has plummeted between the patches.  Ergo, something has changed.  The question is what?

Members
6,557 posts
13,338 battles

Define "broken RNG."

I think the OP already did....  It is not 'allowing' as many hits as it did back in pre-5.7....  therefore it has to be broke.  ;)

Members
76 posts
3,240 battles

As much as I'd love to see the RNG on my Colorado and Warspite improved, it's most likely that WG will do jack about it.

RNG of spread is probably here to stay. I haven't seen any changes in shell travel time, US destroyer guns have always had shells that it feels like your ship could outrun. 

I don't want to remove RNG, I just want to understand why things suddenly seemed to get worse from my and other people's viewpoint.  If I don't know what's changed I cannot change with it unless I know what is different.  And if a change happened to one part that wasn't applied to say the targeting reticle or stopwatch, I'd like that fixed so they work together again and I can trust their use.

Members
76 posts
3,240 battles

Ergo, something has changed.

Which does not mean anything is 'broken'...

Change without explanation = broken

YMMV

particularly when the game experience suffers.

PS: yes I know the title is total clickbait.

Edited by ResonantOne

Members
6,557 posts
13,338 battles
Change without explanation = broken

Sorry - I totally and completely disagree.  It might have been changed but broken would be RNG rolls a 6 and nothing should hit but it DOES or vice versa.  THAT is broken - it rolls one thing and does another.  You are guessing it is broken, as an explanation, without really knowing.

Frankly - every gamer is not 'owed' a code line by code line change log.  Not sure what you would be able to do with knowing about an RNG change other than try to adapt to it.  Outside of that - knowing RNG changed does not buy you much in game play.

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,767 battles

Since Patch 5.7 I've noticed an extreme change in RNG.  Guns normally firing tight spreads are frequently... and I mean FREQUENTLY straddling ships on both end and sides.  Not just little DDs, but Huge BBs as well.  I'm hearing this from multiple players I talk with and I have watched my damage and XP numbers plummet since then while doing nothing different.  My stats below show a terrible decline since and I can't figure why.

I used to have decent accuracy with the Kongo, for instance.  Now?  3 full salvos at 8km at a stationary BB.  1 shell hits when aiming waterline center.  Excuse me?  before 5.7 I was cutting the ship in two with 90% hit rates.  Why is this going on?  

The Farragut?  8km away, shells hanging in the air for 10 seconds.  My shells flying around like I'm throwing confetti unable to track targets.  What is going on?  It's like all the shell speeds have changed, and none of the sites were changed to match, so they're all miscalibrated by a lot making it even harder to hit targets or trust any data given.

So is this going to get fixed or just say "working as intended"?

Or have I suffered a stroke and what I'm experiencing isn't reality and I should be going to the ER?

Did you notice that your main battery hit percentage with battleships since patch 5.7 is actually higher than it had been previously? Or that your main battery hit percentage with Farragut is actually unchanged?

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

The RNG hasn't changed. You're just experiencing confirmation bias. Long stretches of bad RNG are just the nature of a random number generator.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I didn't even notice that OP claimed he had a 90% hit rate. That's pretty hilarious. Sorry, no. The top players on the NA server have a hit rate in the upper 30s of percent, and you claim that you had more than double that? Riiight.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
43,492 battles

Yes I know that is part of my perception of the issue.  It might be something else, but I do know that my performance, with same ships has plummeted between the patches.  Ergo, something has changed.  The question is what?

I haven't noticed that at all. RNG-wise, everything seems the same.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Play DDs, or even Atlanta.

They require less favor from RNGesus...

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,146 posts
10,605 battles

Yes I know that is part of my perception of the issue.  It might be something else, but I do know that my performance, with same ships has plummeted between the patches.  Ergo, something has changed

Clustering illusion:

The tendency to erroneously consider the inevitable "streaks" or "clusters" arising in small samples from random distributions to be non-random. The illusion is caused by a human tendency to underpredict the amount of variability likely to appear in a small sample of random or semi-random data.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

are you using one of those BBs with derp guns?

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

are you using one of those BBs with derp guns?

They all kind of have derp guns. Warspite seems to be one of the worst though. I've had games where every salvo got me a citadel, then the next game I get 40 hits, all overpens. She seems to be one of the most reliant on RNGsus' favour. Tirpitz too. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

They all kind of have derp guns. Warspite seems to be one of the worst though. I've had games where every salvo got me a citadel, then the next game I get 40 hits, all overpens. She seems to be one of the most reliant on RNGsus' favour. Tirpitz too. 

Warspite has 2.0 sigma, which makes her pretty accurate at all distances.

But Derpitz... that thing has like.. 1.5 sigma, which makes the guns derp hard beyond 12km.