You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Howlin_Mad_Murdoch

Advice on playing Hipper in tier 9 and 10 matches

24 comments in this topic

Members
119 posts
12,216 battles

Im doing ok in the hipper in my latest matches finally getting the feel of her.  I do well in tier 8 matches but mostly feel useless in tier 9 & 10 matches. I just looking for more tips because as much as like her i feel i missing something in tier 9& 10 matches.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,104 posts
6,455 battles
  • You've got guns that are fairly accurate at all ranges.  Prioritize getting shots on enemy destroyers in the game.  This is just general advice, but I'd say it's even more important for an up-tiered Hipper.  German cruiser guns can surprise that Khabarovsk who's feeling safe out there at 14km.
  • Pick your shots and don't get greedy.  You can't afford to be one of the first things spotted and shot at by multiple enemies.
  • If there's a carrier, you need to plan around having AA help nearby, since you're going to be a primary target to pick on.  Defensive Fire helps, but won't save you from a good Taiho or whatever.
  • Really double-down on your focus-fire skills.  Constantly scan targets and see what you should be shooting at, instead of tunneling onto one target.  You're going to have difficulty soloing a higher-tier cruiser or battleship in most cases, so work on destroyers and then contribute damage onto something that you can help kill faster.

If you can find a non-terrible friendly battleship that is doing more than camping at max range all game, I'd suggest sticking with them for mutual support.  Keep them clear of destroyers, combine AA power if needed, and help him kill whatever he's targeting if it makes sense to do so.

Edited by Mesrith
  • Cool 2

Members
119 posts
12,216 battles

I've started doing some of this finding a good battleship player is difficult I've learned in general dont trust a tirpitz player.  When hunting DDs ive used HE and AP.  I like the HE just because it knocks out modules on DDs.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,104 posts
6,455 battles

When hunting DDs ive used HE and AP.  I like the HE just because it knocks out modules on DDs.

HE is fine.  AP will still deal good damage to enemy destroyers, but the module damage from HE makes a difference.  If you can also get a fire to stick, it increases their visibility for the duration of the fire, which can often be the difference between killing them or letting them escape into stealth.

Members
119 posts
12,216 battles

Ive stopped using hydro b/c It doent seem to make a difference with me in most cases in 9 & 10 games.  I know the Germans have the best in this but ive found defensive fire more rewarding xp wise.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,172 battles

need to AP t9 and t10 RU dds because theyre immune to HE ive found

[OKM]
Beta Testers
591 posts
11,973 battles

I've started doing some of this finding a good battleship player is difficult I've learned in general dont trust a tirpitz player.  When hunting DDs ive used HE and AP.  I like the HE just because it knocks out modules on DDs.

While I am not the best Tirpitz player... I definitely counter the "every Tirpitz player is a moron" cliche. :teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

Members
368 posts
2,436 battles

I only take my Hipper out when I'm in a division with a Tirpitz or Amagi player that I know and trust, fortunately for me; they are both clan mates of mine.  I help protect them from DD's (I always run Hydro), and they help protect me from anything else that we encounter.  

Beta Testers
47 posts
8,679 battles

I haven't noticed RU DDs are NOT vulnerable to HE shells.  I never fire AP at DDs, and the Russian DDs sink just as well as everybody else :).   Currently I'm playing a Hindenburg.

I hope this helps.

[SYN]
Members
14,871 posts
11,351 battles

If you have not noticed, Tirpitz has the worst guns for a T8 BB and are, quite literally, the worst T8BB to bring into a T9/10 battle.

Having said that, as a Hipper, you are still best off sticking in a group to try and rack up damage against anything that is broadside.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I have fun with hipper.  use island and cover.  snipe or brawl as the case may be.  use the torps if close.   i use mix of he/ap  and it does fine.     took a while to get hull B though and fcs upgraded.     almost ready for hull C.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2 posts
2,026 battles

Thanks for the post i have been having a hard time getting used to the hipper too. I feel like dd are shrugging off my HE shells. I guess i just have to be way more careful

and just farm damage instead of trying to solo kill anything.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

you can't solo at higher tier,   unless it is near end of the match.   stay on flank with rest of the fleet.

[FFLY]
Members
104 posts
6,112 battles
On 7/24/2016 at 6:50 PM, bareagle13 said:

Why not trust a tirpitz player?

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,876 battles
On 7/24/2016 at 5:40 PM, bareagle13 said:

Im doing ok in the hipper in my latest matches finally getting the feel of her.  I do well in tier 8 matches but mostly feel useless in tier 9 & 10 matches. I just looking for more tips because as much as like her i feel i missing something in tier 9& 10 matches.

I'm glad it was brought to the present. Hipper is almost useless in Tier 9 and 10 matches imho. Guns are so-so and not having heal or a spotter plane doesn't help either. 6km torps are pretty worthless/suicidal when uptiered to Tier 9 and 10.  For some reason I play the Baltimore and Cleveland much better, do better damage most of the time and last longer in battles. I'm so tempted to free XP my way to the Roon AS THE GRIND IS PAINFUL. Did I mention I basically hate the ship.:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by dust340man

Members
283 posts
2,405 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 3:47 PM, Riker_2 said:

IS the C hull on the Hipper wroth the money to get it

Afaik, C hull just buffs AA. Granted, Hipper's AA isn't bad, but if you like running hydro builds like me then the return might not be worth it. Still, you have to research the hull anyway to get to the Roon, so taking the extra AA won't hurt hurt if you have the credits to spare.

[STW]
Members
60 posts
13,953 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 3:47 PM, Riker_2 said:

IS the C hull on the Hipper wroth the money to get it

The Hipper has among the strongest AA of tech tree tier-VIII cruisers, second only to the Cleveland.  A fully AA-spec'd Hipper with the C hull has a rating of 90.  This rating requires upgrade AAGM2,  commander skills BFT and AFT, and the November Echo Setteseven signal.  She easy chews up lower-tier plans without having to use DF, and she can establish a 6.5km-radius no-fly zone if you do use DF.  I run a full AA build on my Hipper (and all upper-tier KM cruisers) precisely because I want to use the KM hydro.

So, yes, I think the C hull is definitely worth it.

• Cool 1

Members
1,722 posts
9,150 battles
On 7/25/2016 at 3:24 AM, MrDeaf said:

If you have not noticed, Tirpitz has the worst guns for a T8 BB and are, quite literally, the worst T8BB to bring into a T9/10 battle.

Having said that, as a Hipper, you are still best off sticking in a group to try and rack up damage against anything that is broadside.

Hey

I have to disagree with regards to Tirpitz guns, yes they do suffer from [edited] German Dispersion but the worst guns for a T8 BB for me is the Kii; they just do any consistent damage.  I much prefer my Gascogne to her and/or my other T9's (I don't have Roma or Mass. so I can't speak to them).

Pete

[AAA]
Members
549 posts
6,475 battles

IMO Hipper, PE, Roon, and Hindi are long range gun ships. Having ground the American line first I want to push the KM ships close early. Stay back. Let the match develop. Shoot stuff at range. Guns are flat enough to engage dds at 12-15 km. 

I use AP a lot at range because I can get plunging hits on bbs and ca. I learned to switch ammo types frequently but instead of switching my load I’ll fire whatever is loaded because both he and ap are excellent. Really can’t go wrong. 

Start the match stalking the back let the dds spot and engage at range. Your damage totals will be ok but you should be part of the team whittle bb hp and hammering cruisers. As the numbers fall start to push caps and use hydro. All of the high tier Germans are good brawlers and dd hunters. Well the Roon isn’t the best due to the aft batteries and only 1set of torp on each side. Angle well and I close with bbs and torp them or chase dds with hydro mid to late game

pushing early goes back to port

• Cool 1

Members
94 posts

The Hipper’s Armor is pretty decent.  I use that to push forward (probably a little too aggressive, but I’ve found that hanging back just encourages my team to hang back.) and always be ready to turn away as soon as I get spotted - as much as possible, you want someone else to be a more inviting target than you.  If you’ve attracted too much fire, go dark and open the range to outside your detection range.  When angled, you can bounce most return fire.

When playing in Tier 10 matches, you can’t expect to solo kill much, so be a team player, and add your fire to your Tier 10 teammates.  Your AP will damage anything giving you broadside, so look for opportunities to use it.  Your optimum range is just outside your detection range, so you can surprise ships that forget about you.

DDs are always high priority targets.  You don’t have the sheer number of guns that some other cruisers have, but the flat arcs, and good dispersion means that you can reliably hit DDs from surprising ranges.

[BIER]
Members
179 posts
2,910 battles

When I'm bottom tier in my Hipper, I find there are several strategies for being successful:

1. You have 17.7km range. Use it. You can farm HE on BBs VERY easily using it. 
  2. Kiting and farming at max distance works great on a Hipper, even better than something like an Ibuki, because the Hipper has more armor to bounce those glancing blows (rather than take pens)
  3. As mentioned above, Hipper has excellent AA, something CV players often forget. Put yourself in positions where CVs want to fly over you to get to other ships (park behind strategic islands, for example), and just watch even T10 planes die.  You want the AA module and AFT for this mode, though DFAA and BFT are optional.
  4. Take up strategic positions where you can use the extra-long Hydro well. On maps like North or Northern Lights, park next to one of the central islands, and you not only can act as a CV no-fly zone, you can hydro the nearby caps easily for long periods of time.
  5. Remember that most opponents are not that skilled. A well-played Hipper can bounce a large portion of BB AP when bow-on at close range. DON'T bow tank - keep moving side-to-side slightly, so the enemy BB player will end up shooting not straight through the bow, but against your belt armor at a steep angle (bounce!). 
  6. You've got deadly 6km torps, and LOTS of them. Use them to dominate cap circles that have cover nearby - charge out of cover (look first, of course!), dump 12 torps on something, and hurry back to cover after an intense 1 minute battle.
  7. HE on DDs at mid-range: your flat arcs mean hits are easy, and you can do quite a bit of damage in 2 salvos.
  8. AP on CLs whenever you see a broadside. No matter the range.  This should be your #1 target.
  • Cool 1

Members
94 posts

Your bow armor will bounce 15” shells and below, so you can easily bow tank BBs of that caliber, and close to within torp range.  You will have to show a bit of your side to use the torps, so you have to time it right (wait for them to fire).