Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeanPwnery

Mikasa and future Missions like hers...

17 comments in this topic

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,537 battles

I started this mission about 10 days late - thinking with my atrocious aim that was slowly getting better the past couple of weeks, that there was no way in hell I was going to score 150 kills in time.

...well... I finished 7 days early. Imagine that :teethhappy:

Anyway - I wasn't wasting forum-space to talk about the mission itself - but moreso the brilliance of what this mission accomplished. In trying to fight my way through shot-holders and kill-stealers I've learned a few things that may prove useful to those still trying to finish it. Ships like the Storozhevoi (for DD players), and the St. Louis and Bogatyr are fantastic ways to rack up kills in battles quickly. It's not so much so the fact that they're lower-tier ships, but the fact that the latter two are bristling with guns so you're constantly getting shots down range before your target gets away. The Emden wasn't half bad either thanks to its incredible rate of fire.

Other than that, you have to hand it to WG - this mission was creative and beneficial. It took me well north of 250 battles to finish the kill-count. In that time I was able to get a few things done such as :

• banked well over 400k in convertable experience on elited ships
  • earned 9 crew skills across several captains using several ships
  • banked close to 8 million credits grinding away on the missions
  • more flags than I can count getting "first kills" and "Krakens" and just about every other medal similar

I think that was WG's true aim in this mission. Keeping players in lower to middle tiers to become vastly more proficient at the game itself. I was hopeless with DD's and torpedoes before this mission, now, I'm only "crappy" with them. Staying in a ship well after you've elited it, makes you damn good at it, and the benefits are a transferrable captain with WAY more skills than if you just race up the tiers and end up in high tier battles with a hopeless skill-set and captain. You've now got tons of convertable exp to play with when you DO get those ships to ease the pressure off the grind for the modules.

Then.... you get an interesting low-tier Pre-dreadnaught ship as well. Bravo WG... great plan if that was your intent.

A suggestion - Don't let this be the last one like it. You've got two other great choices for similar missions like this.

I'd love to see future mission rewards for other Pre-Dreads such as ...

The Russian Monitor Novgorod :

800px-Russian_monitor_Novgorod_%28scale_

..and the USS Texas "Protected Cruiser" Pre-Dreadnaught Battleship - 1892 Model

1024px-USS_Texas2.jpg

Yep... two Texas ships... one Pre-Dread "Protected Cruiser" 1892 model and a pancake Monitor Russian ship from 1874. Two more semi-viable tier 2 premies.

How bout it WG? Keep em coming! :medal:

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

I'd like a project R type event.. or Grand Naval Battles since we didn't get it.. even though the event-significant-days already passed, I still would like it if we could get something that other servers do.. all the time.

But alas, we're NA so we don't get much.

• Cool 2

Members
10,919 posts
4,873 battles

I'd like a project R type event.. or Grand Naval Battles since we didn't get it.. even though the event-significant-days already passed, I still would like it if we could get something that other servers do.. all the time.

But alas, we're NA so we don't get much.

Project R was neat.

Members
136 posts
1,345 battles

I really can't agree that the kill missions are good in any way. From my perspective, they discourage teamwork, make you care even less about the outcome of a battle. (Since, I'm literally only worried about getting getting kills, and not completing objectives or staying alive.) They made me completely stop trying to play CVs for it's duration, since CV missions took to long, and I'd only get one or two kills per match. (When I could be dying over and over in again in Destroyers and getting at least one kill a match by throwing my self at the enemy.) Just encourage really generally bad play with a bad mindset going into games, and skew player priorities in a bad way. 

I think the missions based around actually doing damage are a lot better in this regard, since they actually encourage you to stay alive, since you can always be doing damage as long as you're alive, I wouldn't feel the need to keep dying over and over again.

I got my Mikasa, but every single game I played in doing so, I was nothing but a weight to team and one less ship they would likely have in battle, because of the type of play it encouraged.  

Edited by neoniec
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

Other than that, you have to hand it to WG - this mission was creative and beneficial

The one thing this 'kill stuff' event undisputedly isn't is creative. And it was only fractionally more 'difficult' than the joke damage farming missions for the last set of ARP ships.

The Project R missions, now those had a bit of imagination behind it.

[F-U]
Members
240 posts
3,458 battles

Ships like the Storozhevoi (for DD players), and the St. Louis and Bogatyr are fantastic ways to rack up kills in battles quickly. It's not so much so the fact that they're lower-tier ships, but the fact that the latter two are bristling with guns so you're constantly getting shots down range before your target gets away. The Emden wasn't half bad either thanks to its incredible rate of fire.

Or more simply put, seal clubbing new players is a fantastic way to rack up kills in battles quickly.

Hence why missions based on Kill X ships encourage bad behavior and should be reconsidered.

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
1,680 posts
7,380 battles

(SNIP)

The Russian Monitor Novgorod :

800px-Russian_monitor_Novgorod_%28scale_

WHAT THE...???? :amazed::ohmy:

Such a ship existed????

e102ba6c8bd873a15f26674baa1551b2.jpg

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
25,415 battles

Or more simply put, seal clubbing new players is a fantastic way to rack up kills in battles quickly.

Hence why missions based on Kill X ships encourage bad behavior and should be reconsidered.

I would disagree. Unless you are joined by equally skilled team-mates in division seal clubbing is not as simple as you might imagine. You have no support and you get a boat with low lethality . Try to do well in that environment with your superior skills.

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,537 battles

Uh.. no. At first I thought it was that way too... until I realized I jumped into a pool of sharks all playing low tiers. The reason it was easier at lower tiers was because of the tighter map rotations, and the lesser monster-hp pools to burn down for said kills.

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,537 battles

I really can't agree that the kill missions are good in any way. From my perspective, they discourage teamwork, make you care even less about the outcome of a battle. (Since, I'm literally only worried about getting getting kills, and not completing objectives or staying alive.) They made me completely stop trying to play CVs for it's duration, since CV missions took to long, and I'd only get one or two kills per match. (When I could be dying over and over in again in Destroyers and getting at least one kill a match by throwing my self at the enemy.) Just encourage really generally bad play with a bad mindset going into games, and skew player priorities in a bad way. 

I think the missions based around actually doing damage are a lot better in this regard, since they actually encourage you to stay alive, since you can always be doing damage as long as you're alive, I wouldn't feel the need to keep dying over and over again.

I got my Mikasa, but every single game I played in doing so, I was nothing but a weight to team and one less ship they would likely have in battle, because of the type of play it encouraged.  

While it didn't do the best for "team play" development, it did wonders for individuals staying in certain tiers, learning how to play a certain ship and to build their captains rather than rushing up the trees with little to no real experience and ruining higher-tier play with yolocharges and absolute nubbery. I mean, I get what you're saying too... but it was a slippery-slope to promote one or the other, and the one they chose kept lower-to-middle tier play really healthy this month from a population point of view.

[-JEDI]
Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
8,556 battles

Let me see what about we make a mission where the requirement is kill 10,000,000,000,000,000 ships in one day and get the Olympia cruiser?

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Let me see what about we make a mission where the requirement is kill 10,000,000,000,000,000 ships in one day and get the Olympia cruiser?

how about fifteen or twenty

[GAMMA]
Members
909 posts
18,540 battles

how about fifteen or twenty

How about 5-10 over a weekend.

As for ships... Olympia would be nice. Ditto for a chance at an Albany. That said I wouldn't mind a chance at something like HMS Majestic, SMS Sharnhorst/SMS Blucher, or HMS Good Hope.

Edited by jkirschy

Sign in to follow this