You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kelorn

The Warships Podcast Episode 94: NoZoupForYou joins us to dive deep into the Nueve de Julio, Ship Detection, and Listener QnA

232 comments in this topic

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Wanted to say thanks to Kel for having Zath and I on to talk about our work on the wiki.  We're trying to raise awareness of how much has improved. =)

It was fantastic having you on the show! Please let us know if there's anything we can announce on the podcast next time there's an opening for editors!

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 20: An In-Depth Look at the New Captain Skills with iChase and Doctor Citadel

WARNING: VERY LONG EPISODE!

Kelorn, iChase, Doctor Citadel, and Vanessaira take a skill by skill look at the new Captain's skill tree slated to be released with the 0.6.0 patch. As the merits and detriments of each skill are discussed, opinions form and clash between knowledgeable players on this first podcast of 2017!

Check out iChase on: YouTube Twitter

[WG-CC] Vanessaira 126
369 posts
4,575 battles

Big thanks to Vanessaira!  Don't kill my stealth!

You are welcome! :D

[WGA] KamiSamurai 216
1,117 posts
12,173 battles

Sorry I have been absent from the cast! I have not been feeling well but things are on the upswing! I will be back soon =).

[WG-CC] Vanessaira 126
369 posts
4,575 battles

Looking forward to it! :D

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 21: 0.6.0 Public Test #2 Changes and Impressions

KamiSamurai returns to the podcast as he, Kelorn, and Vanessaira discuss the changes made to for Patch 0.6.0 Public Test #2. They also go into more depth on the ramifications of certain skills and start to feel their way toward builds. Not to be left out, the controversial skill Radio Position Finding gets a little more discussion including Kami's impressions as the countdown to Patch 0.6.0 approaches.

[WOLFB] WhiteRecon 80
864 posts
8,868 battles

Really love this show, it makes me want to wrap with you guys about my favorite hobby.  Can't wait to see WG's next step, because it's a big one!  I think I'll build my captains and hold 4 points back on a few ships to see if I want/need RFP - do some drunk & non-premium testing.

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 22: Jammin411 from WoWReplays.com and Patch 0.6.0 goes live!

Jammin411 gives us the lowdown on his replay hostings website, WoWReplays.com including great information about the background data gathering and future plans for the website! After that, Jammin joins the podcast crew as they discuss the release of Patch 0.6.0 and have a friendly debate about what builds to use for various Tier X Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers. With a bonus inclusion of a discussion on why Internal Fuse for HE Shells is so good for 150-155mm gun cruisers!

Check out WoWreplays.com and Jammin411 on Youtube! Catch him on Twitter at @Jammin411

Please vote in our survey about whether to keep the background Waves and Seagulls track here!

[WGA] KamiSamurai 216
1,117 posts
12,173 battles

We have A LOT of exciting things coming in the future! Thanks for all your continuing support!

[WOLFB] WhiteRecon 80
864 posts
8,868 battles

Listen, I don't want to be the guy who comments every week... BUT, Jammin411?!?!?!  I thought he was on the witness protection program or something!  He's like the A-Team, "if you have trouble, AND YOU CAN FIND THEM."

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 23: Patreon and Aerroon talks Tier 7 Ranked Ships!

This week we launch the Warships Podcast Patreon account! After that Aerroon joins the normal crew as we discuss the ins and outs of the upcoming season of Ranked Battles which features Tier 7 ships.

Check out our new Patreon!

Be sure to follow Aerroon on Twitter and Youtube!

[WG-CC] Vanessaira 126
369 posts
4,575 battles

Episode 23: Patreon and Aerroon talks Tier 7 Ranked Ships!

This week we launch the Warships Podcast Patreon account! After that Aerroon joins the normal crew as we discuss the ins and outs of the upcoming season of Ranked Battles which features Tier 7 ships.

Check out our new Patreon!

Be sure to follow Aerroon on Twitter and Youtube!

And here is the brief summary and the discussion thread for Episode 23.
Edited by Vanessaira

R1CK 204
927 posts
4,462 battles

Just here to say that I think the removal of the ocean background noise is an improvement.

As always, great podcast! I love seeing the little red notification on my podcasts button indicating that there's another one ready :) keep it up!

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 24: Aetam, USN Cruiser changes, PTS, and How to Battleship!

Aetam and the crew talk about the upcoming changes currently on the PTS including the USN Cruisers, Yamato gun depression, flooding, and smoke changes. After that, Vanessa leads a round table discussion on how to play battleships more effectively!

Check out Aetam on Youtube!

Also, Patreon backers will be included in a drawing each month, starting on February 15th, for cool t-shirts, pins, and other swag!

2 posts
532 battles

Can you explain best use tactics for smoke? Or point me in the direction of a good giude if one has already been made?

1. Is firing from smoke univerally considered bad, aka an invitation to be blind torp'd?

2. If you do fire from smoke, do you sit stern to the enemy for a quick get away and to present the smallest target? Some other position preferable?

3. What's the best way  to help others with smoke? Do I need to put the smoke directly on the friendly BB, or is a screen between them and the enemy sufficient?

4. Is smoke an impenetrable wall that I can use to cover my retreat without being seen (assuming no radar, enemy planes, etc.).?

5. In what situations is use of smoke bad/wasted?

6. How close does the enemy need to be to proxy spot me if Im in smoke? 

Thanks. Love the podcast, keep up the good work!

Edited by _Cubist_

[STW-A] Sycar 1
5 posts
3,522 battles

Where is the information for Fight Night?

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Where is the information for Fight Night?

Apologies for not linkign to it! it's here: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/112914-overpowered-gaming-presents-fight-night-season-1/

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Can you explain best use tactics for smoke? Or point me in the direction of a good giude if one has already been made?

1. Is firing from smoke univerally considered bad, aka an invitation to be blind torp'd?

2. If you do fire from smoke, do you sit stern to the enemy for a quick get away and to present the smallest target? Some other position preferable?

3. What's the best way  to help others with smoke? Do I need to put the smoke directly on the friendly BB, or is a screen between them and the enemy sufficient?

4. Is smoke an impenetrable wall that I can use to cover my retreat without being seen (assuming no radar, enemy planes, etc.).?

5. In what situations is use of smoke bad/wasted?

6. How close does the enemy need to be to proxy spot me if Im in smoke? 

Thanks. Love the podcast, keep up the good work!

I haven't seen a great guide on smoke on youtube, but if I come across one, I'll let you know. That said I'll answer your questions as best I can!

1. Firing from smoke is a powerful tactic, but has its downsides. In random matches, you can often fire from smoke with impunity in a destroyer. Cruisers have a bit of a harder time, as they can be counter-fired somewhat easier as they are larger targets, and the potential of a citadel hit makes blind firing into smoke at the base of the shell fire to have a higher payoff. That said, in Ranked matches, you need to be more careful, as smoke screens will attract torp walls.

2. This depends on what ship you're in. I generally advocate for moving forward and backward in your smoke if you're firing, preferably at a decent angle so you have some chance of bouncing shells if you're in a cruiser. For a DD, you often want to be bow or stern on toward the most likely angle of torpedo fire, but you are also more maneuverable. The Propulsion mod 2 is often very important as it allows you to start moving far faster than without it. 

3. Generally you want to put the smoke on and around the ship you're trying to conceal and give them a path of smoke in the direction they're traveling. Battleships especially don't stop quickly. Communicate in chat to ask if they want smoke and where. You generally don't want to put a smoke wall "betweeN" them and the enemy as if there are enemy aircraft or other ships that can spot around the smoke, it won't conceal your ally. 

4. Spotting mechanics are simple to describe but in practice can be difficult. Essentially, you have a circle around your ship with a radius of your spotting distance. Let's assume you're a destroyer with a spotting range of 6km. This means in open water, if a ship is within 6km of you, they spot you. islands block line of sight and can't be spotted through from other ships. You have a seperate spotting radius for airplanes and they don't take islands into account. Smoke is like a temporary island that you can physically be inside. When you're in smoke, there are only 3 ways to spot you: Radar, Hydro, and proximity spot. Radar and hydro are consumables, Proximity spotting is the range at which you automatically show up to an enemy, no matter if they're behind an island or in smoke. Proxy spotting has a 2 km base range, and can be modified by the Target Acquisition module. If you move outside the smoke, it still acts like a temporary island, and blocks line of sight through it. Which doesn't help you if another enemy still has line of sight from a different direction, or an airplane can see over it.

5. Smoke is wasted when you pop it as soon as the match starts! You laugh, but i've seen people hit the smoke button instead of speed boost, much to their dismay! In practice smoke can be used in a lot of ways. Defensive for yourself, defensive for your team, offensive for yourself, offensive for your team. It can be use to take caps, or block gaps in islands. It's hard to say that a smoke used for one of these things is "wasted" but at the same time it might not have been the BEST use of your smoke. The more you play the better feel you'll have for when and where to use it, but i encourage you to try different tactics and see what works best!

6. As i mentioned in #4, 2km base range, 3km with the target acquisition module!

• Cool 1

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

thx @kelorn, very helpful

You're quite welcome, please bring on the questions!

[ZR] Kelorn 169
244 posts
6,065 battles

Episode 25: A wild Pointy Haired Jedi has appeared! Patch 0.6.1, upcoming changes, and How to Smoke!

Pointy Haired Jedi joins the podcast for the week and gives us an insight into what being a full time youtuber is like! After that we talk about the start of Ranked Season 6, the reward ship USS Black, and the effect of radar on DD's. New upcoming changes for the Khabharovsk, Iowa, and Montana are spotlighted. We round out the episode with a question from listener Cubist about How to use your Smoke!

Check out Pointy Haired Jedi on: Youtube Twitter Facebook Twitch

Backers on Patreon are most welcome!