You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Madwolf05

Something is wrong with the 8in Super Heavy Shells

36 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Can someone please explain how 15mm of deck armor of a destroyer can bounce a 203mm, 152kg shell traveling at over 700m/s?

RE8D7Z6.jpg

Edited by MadCard05

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,858 posts
27,301 battles

Well, if you believe that destroyers have 15 inch of armor and 8" 'superheavy' is a thing, anything is possible I guess.

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

Can someone please explain how 15in of deck armor of a destroyer can bounce a 203mm, 152kg shell traveling at over 700m/s?

RE8D7Z6.jpg

15 inches of armor. Heh. You mean mm, I think...

yeah I get it. Don't worry, it's just RNG doing its thing.

Members
997 posts
2,054 battles

I think you mean 15mm :P but if navweaps is to be trusted, you'll likely bounce everything on the deck at <10km

Also you won't be able to over match the deck armor if the shells are hitting within auto bounce territory. 

Edited by INoCU

Beta Testers
611 posts
2,887 battles

Can someone please explain how 15in of deck armor of a destroyer can bounce a 203mm, 152kg shell traveling at over 700m/s?

RE8D7Z6.jpg

Does that screen take into account incapacitations? Knocking out the engine, steering, turrets, and AA mounts, often times no damage is registered. I don't know why, I've noticed this firing HE at Battleships and in my Fubuki, dive bombers will knock out your engine but cause no damage. That's how it has always been, I don't know if it is intended or not.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,858 posts
27,301 battles

It's obvious people like you never skipped rocks across the water, casper.

Angle of impact matters.

• Cool 1

[13TH]
Members
4,901 posts
9,124 battles

If the shell is angled and the ship angled the shell bouncy offy or so Im told ... Shlt I dont know ... Its a equalizer of game mechanics

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,858 posts
27,301 battles

Can you try typing in English next time, casper? It might help make your post more legible. But then, I doubt you care.

If an object with sufficient forward momentum strikes a sufficiently dense surface at a sufficiently sharp angle it will bounce. Skipping stones is no different from glancing off of 15mm steel plate. That's basic physics. But I'm sure you know better than milennia of children skipping stones and proving basic physics, capser. Please, feel free to show us your math.

In English, please.

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Well, if you believe that destroyers have 15 inch of armor and 8" 'superheavy' is a thing, anything is possible I guess.

What are you talking about Comrad, it always said 15mm. :trollface:

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Well, you need approximately 14mm or less to gain overmatch with a 203mm round, so if it has 15mm of deck armor and the shell strikes the deck, you bounce at close range.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

yeah basically like i said earlier mad card it DOESNT make sense just straight up reta*dation from wg .............oh btw let we were pretty much at a dead stop .7-.8 km somethin completely retar*ded  away from each other  when a salvo of 9 16inch 406 mm shells bounced off the fuc*kin side of a hindenburg who i might add proceeded to torpedo my iowa ..................dumba*s me for thinkin that my shells would penetrate AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  why that would just be outright ABSURD wouldnt it lert............as stated previously you being a supertester .are part of the reason this blatantly idiotic busted mechanic was implemented into the game in the first place so OF COURSE youll defend it and wg to the death as i said "fan boy that will NEVER admit when something is busted"

Why would anyone listen to you when your default method of argument is "tantrum" turned to 11?
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,858 posts
27,301 battles

Oh, so now it's my fault? Even though this mechanic has existed since looooong before the supertester program even existed? Riiiight. Pull the other one.

Angle of impact matters, casper. Maybe if you knew how to play this game you'd understand that.

I do have to commend you, you almost managed to post without resorting to straight insults.

Why would anyone listen to you when your default method of argument is "tantrum" turned to 11?

Because he's the only one on the entire forum who understands the full truth and anyone who disagrees with him is a WG bootlick, ofcourse.

[CD47]
Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
25,094 battles

Can you try typing in English next time, casper? It might help make your post more legible. But then, I doubt you care.

If an object with sufficient forward momentum strikes a sufficiently dense surface at a sufficiently sharp angle it will bounce. Skipping stones is no different from glancing off of 15mm steel plate. That's basic physics. But I'm sure you know better than milennia of children skipping stones and proving basic physics, capser. Please, feel free to show us your math.

In English, please.

​You can't be using basic physics over here Lert, someone might shoot you. 

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

yeah basically like i said earlier mad card it DOESNT make sense just straight up reta*dation from wg .............oh btw let we were pretty much at a dead stop .7-.8 km somethin completely retar*ded  away from each other  when a salvo of 9 16inch 406 mm shells bounced off the fuc*kin side of a hindenburg who i might add proceeded to torpedo my iowa ..................dumba*s me for thinkin that my shells would penetrate AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  why that would just be outright ABSURD wouldnt it lert............as stated previously you being a supertester .are part of the reason this blatantly idiotic busted mechanic was implemented into the game in the first place so OF COURSE youll defend it and wg to the death as i said "fan boy that will NEVER admit when something is busted"

Jeez, another one of them bitter salt mines... Let's hope the Youtubers are hungry for more torture... Meanwhile, Popcorn and an actual reply.

:popcorn: 

much better.

Now, someone please verify if he's talking the truth, please. He has an Iowa?! 

Anyway, the LAWS OF PHYSICS and LOGIC say that angling armor results in technical armor thickening. And that kinetic energy is dispersed away as it hits the flat surface. Please argue with a scientist/mathematician. You can argue with Einstein. Go ahead. I'm just a 14 year old high-school student who has only Logic and the bare minimals and knowledge of physics to back me up here :P 

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

At a range of less than a kilometer.

You fired 9 16in AP shells into the side of a Hindenburg.

And you bounced?

Like no damage on a broadside?

Either you're blind and totally missed in reality, or you're lying through your teeth. Not even autobounce saves you there.

Unless I can get a screenshot or replay, I don't believe it for a second.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

Oh, so now it's my fault? Even though this mechanic has existed since looooong before the supertester program even existed? Riiiight. Pull the other one.

Angle of impact matters, casper. Maybe if you knew how to play this game you'd understand that.

I do have to commend you, you almost managed to post without resorting to straight insults.

Because he's the only one on the entire forum who understands the full truth and anyone who disagrees with him is a WG bootlick, ofcourse.

Yeah Lert, stop forcing your broken version of physics on us. It's making people like casper go full ritard. :trollface:

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

At a range of less than a kilometer.

You fired 9 16in AP shells into the side of a Hindenburg.

And you bounced?

Like no damage on a broadside?

Either you're blind and totally missed in reality, or you're lying through your teeth. Not even autobounce saves you there.

Unless I can get a screenshot or replay, I don't believe it for a second.

Not necessarily on the broadside, could be on the side as the Hindenburg was sailing directly towards him...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,441 posts
509 battles

15mm * 14.3 = 214.5mm.

214.5 > 203mm (size of shell).

The shell was not big enough to overmatch and therefore bounced, if impact angle was 65 degrees or greater.

Case closed.

See why I've been saying penetration mechanics are retarded this whole time?

Edited by Higgle

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

15mm * 14.3 = 214.5mm.

214.5 > 203mm (size of shell).

The shell was not big enough to overmatch and therefore bounced, if impact angle was 65 degrees or greater.

Case closed.

See why I've been saying penetration mechanics are retarded this whole time?

You wanna change mechanics? Great. Realise that if you change the mechanics it changes for everyone, including yourself. There'd be more penetrations on your ships than a Saturday night at the hoorhouse and you'd be freaking out in the other direction. If things were different, people would be in here saying that the angle of your armour should be bouncing this, that, and the other thing. People are truly never satisfied. Besides, what were those 2 measily hits supposed to do to him? Were you hoping for a magic Detonation? I'd say live longer, fight longer in this case.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

I thought Casper was a friendly ghost.

:teethhappy:

4,441 posts
509 battles

You wanna change mechanics? Great. Realise that if you change the mechanics it changes for everyone, including yourself. There'd be more penetrations on your ships than a Saturday night at the hoorhouse and you'd be freaking out in the other direction. If things were different, people would be in here saying that the angle of your armour should be bouncing this, that, and the other thing. People are truly never satisfied. Besides, what were those 2 measily hits supposed to do to him? Were you hoping for a magic Detonation? I'd say live longer, fight longer in this case.

You prolong your survival through skill. I, for one, have not had any problems staying alive before these ridiculous autobounce angles and overmatch ratio was implemented, and I certainly will not be having any problems if they ever adjust penetration mechanics back to how they used to be.

As for everyone else? Get good or get left behind, simple as that.

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

You prolong your survival through skill. I, for one, have not had any problems staying alive before these ridiculous autobounce angles and overmatch ratio was implemented, and I certainly will not be having any problems if they ever adjust penetration mechanics back to how they used to be.

As for everyone else? Get good or get left behind, simple as that.

I don't see anything wrong with the Overmatch and angling. Angling encourages teamwork in a way: two coordinated ships kill one ship, as it can only angle against one if done properly. Maybe it's my opinion as a 48% WR T7-max Rado-maining angle-abusing POS, but personally I think it works well: cos' you can do it, they can too. Overmatch is needed for DDs: if they weren't, any hit would see their health dropping harder than the beat of Dubstep (yep, completely flipped the YouTube meme there) and thank god for no cits. RNG can kill a DD if you land all your overmatching shells on it (in a BB, no excuse for CAs due to their fast reload). And you sound extremely selfish, by the way. The autobounce was a survivability buff mechanic, to remove it after such a long time would disadvantage new players with no knowledge of the old mechanics. 

4,441 posts
509 battles

I don't see anything wrong with the Overmatch and angling. Angling encourages teamwork in a way: two coordinated ships kill one ship, as it can only angle against one if done properly. Maybe it's my opinion as a 48% WR T7-max Rado-maining angle-abusing POS, but personally I think it works well: cos' you can do it, they can too. Overmatch is needed for DDs: if they weren't, any hit would see their health dropping harder than the beat of Dubstep (yep, completely flipped the YouTube meme there) and thank god for no cits. RNG can kill a DD if you land all your overmatching shells on it (in a BB, no excuse for CAs due to their fast reload). And you sound extremely selfish, by the way. The autobounce was a survivability buff mechanic, to remove it after such a long time would disadvantage new players with no knowledge of the old mechanics. 

I apologize if I'm coming off as selfish. Maybe I am. I just came out of a rather heated discussion as to why the game is but a shadow of what it could've been.

I don't think you're understanding my post, in which I haven't mentioned angling at all. Angling would be a required skill if the current game mechanics didn't allow for a shortcut (i.e. autobounce) that players could abuse. Overmatch refers to the mechanic where a shell must exceed a certain size relative to the armor it impacts to guarantee a penetration. Don't confuse overmatch with overpenetration. I don't see how overmatch is needed for destroyers when overmatch mechanics don't even concern them.

As for the point about disadvantaging new players; that is precisely what's wrong with the game as a whole. The skill floor has been dumbed down again and again. Now, you no longer have to be truly skilled to be considered skilled. The game is too soft on players where players should be forced to learn. I think few people here still remember how the game should be played according to the old mechanics, which is a shame indeed.