You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Thoughts on the Farragut hull C...

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,080 posts
13,904 battles

Specifically does anyone think it's worth the XPs and credits. It doesn't seem worth it to me at first glance but perhaps I'm missing something so I thought I'd ask. Why give up 1/5th of the main guns for a marginal increase in AA. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for buffing the AA on my slow moving BBs and CAs but for a destroyer speed and agility are a better defense against plane attacks than AA guns. Anyhow that's my thinking on the subject; am I close or did I get off track somewhere down the line.

Members
997 posts
2,043 battles

I think you can get AA defensive fire in exchange for your speed boost on the C hull. 

Alpha Tester
1,150 posts
5,459 battles

It's not worth it, don't downgrade to the C hull since you loose 20% of your firepower. That hull is a trap...wait, hold on, someone can do this better:

LaJ9Kmo.gif?noredirect

• Cool 3

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

Not worth it.

You're a gunboat first and foremost. Very infrequently will you find defensive fire useful. Stick with the B hull and keep that 5th gun. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Members
1,116 posts
10,974 battles

99% of the time I disable my AAA on DD's since it's rare they can shoot down any concerted effort to bomb you anyway and it only draws attention to yourself.

[AXANR]
Members
3,380 posts
17,318 battles

I'm a average to below avg player overall, but Farragut is one of only a few ships at which I am significantly better than server avg in almost all stats. So here is poeticmotion's guide in....HOW TO FARRAGUT!

1: Don't equip C hull.

2: If you think about equipping C hull, refer to rule #1.

3: No. Just don't. 

[SYN]
Members
15,038 posts
11,529 battles

Atrocious Hull

Best Hull

Crap Hull

which one do you want?

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,514 posts
4,197 battles

I view all of the C hulls (AA hulls) pointless. As a DD, I almost always have my AA off to help with concealment. And as a gun-boat, performance-wise, you're better off with that fifth gun.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

only US DD that you want to use  AA setup is    Fletcher and sims.       neither loses a gun (ok sims has 4 to start with)  and you lose speed boost for DF)    

[-GPS-]
Members
2,666 posts
27,378 battles

I view all of the C hulls (AA hulls) pointless. As a DD, I almost always have my AA off to help with concealment. And as a gun-boat, performance-wise, you're better off with that fifth gun.

Not for the Nicholas.  Reload time drops from 5.9s to 3.6s.  Rounds per minute actually go up despite loss of a rifle, from 50.9 rpm to 66.7 rpm.

Absolutely correct for Farragut & others though.  And I don't buy into the AA build concept for the Sims.

[MRTN]
Members
5 posts
5,622 battles

Benson has a viable C hull.  C hull benefits from a significant rudder shift bonus that literally allows you to evade entire volleys on a shot-by-shot basis when used properly.  As for Mahan and Farragut?  Stay away from C hull. -20% guns without any significant defensive boost (other than planes, which is not common) just gimps the ship.  Best stick with B hull for both of those ships.

[DURPX]
Members
6 posts
1,098 battles
On 7/9/2016 at 12:55 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

Not for the Nicholas.  Reload time drops from 5.9s to 3.6s.  Rounds per minute actually go up despite loss of a rifle, from 50.9 rpm to 66.7 rpm.

nicholas doesn't have a C hull, and it doesn't make sense anyways to stay with the stock hull

Members
2,180 posts
10,816 battles
On 7/11/2016 at 1:56 PM, Darkshape45 said:

Benson has a viable C hull.  C hull benefits from a significant rudder shift bonus that literally allows you to evade entire volleys on a shot-by-shot basis when used properly.  As for Mahan and Farragut?  Stay away from C hull. -20% guns without any significant defensive boost (other than planes, which is not common) just gimps the ship.  Best stick with B hull for both of those ships.

This rudder shift buff on C Hull was given to B Hull, for "balance" reasons.

B Hull is the best hull, unless you are running max AA build. DF is nice for the multiplier, but the loss of spreading out the attack nerfed it heavily.  Most of the time CV hunting around you is fixed through positioning.  By keeping 1-2 decent AA ships inside your concealment circle it becomes very time consuming for the CV to strike you out.